Rear hub flew off of my '92

nikovee

Looks like 195 Nm per the service manual. I know the nut was staked as I recall seeing the deformation, but guessing it wasn't staked well enough. fortunately I work in aviation and have access to plenty of safety wire, will most likely be making that mod to prevent this from happening again. 

rearnub.JPG

• Member Contributer

Sorry to hear the 35mm ID "conical spring washer" is NLA--that's never a good sign!  Titan Classics reproduces the 38mm version of this in titanium, but that's only good for the NC30/35/ RC30/45 sized axles.

FYI, Revzilla says it's in stock, but I don't think I believe them, because nobody else shows it as available.  It'd be different if they were David Silver Spares or Hondarestoration.com, but I suspect their database is just out of date.  Worth checking, though.  Speaking of whom, DSS says it can be special ordered, which might be true, given that I also found it showing as "in stock" at a Japanese parts site.

If the bushing is an insert, I bet it will simply tap out using a big drift from the wheel-side.  OTOH, if that's all it is, there's probably no particular reason to remove it.  Unless you're using a SSSA stand or planning to do a single-nut conversion (which utilize a solid axle within the hollow axle), the only useful thing I can think of which you now cannot do is put a u-lock through it (or a Pragmasis "Anti-Pinch Pin", which I have here).

Ciao,

JZH

thanks for the tip JZH! placed an order through DSS, hopefully it won't take too long.

I was able to successfully remove the insert, finally got that rear up on the stand. looking at the front sprocket, I didn't notice any damage in the area nor on the cover, so I think I may be good there. I did discover that at some point the slave gasket was replaced with RTV, so ordered a replacement. Now debating whether or not I should replace chain+sprockets while I am at it, but not overly excited about having to cut the OEM masterlink-less chain off

20210925_184627.jpg

20210925_194408.jpg

• Member Contributer

Hey, good job getting thing insert out! Didn't realise it was alloy, and would've generated anodic corrosion with your axle over time to make quite a mess!

I went to UC Santa Cruz for bit and that salt air simply corrodes anything quickly. My chain would rust overnight after thorough cleaning and oiling!

• Member Contributer

"not overly excited about having to cut the OEM masterlink-less chain off"

wait...   how many miles are on this bike? 

3 hours ago, DannoXYZ said:

I went to UC Santa Cruz for bit and that salt air simply corrodes anything quickly. My chain would rust overnight after thorough cleaning and oiling!

Yeah, that's one downside of living in a beach town. Fortunately I have a garage to store the bike which helps a bit, but the roof on my '08 taco parked in the driveway is deteriorating quickly.

3 hours ago, Captain 80s said:

wait...   how many miles are on this bike? 

42k...chain and sprockets look OK but figured since I am already in here it'd be a good opportunity. though "if it aint broke..."

• Member Contributer

So somebody replaced the chain with an endless OEM one at some point?  Or it went that far?  Anyway, with the potential trauma that chain might have suffered and how lucky you were not to have any damage around the counter shaft, I think it's wise to replace at this juncture.  Plus, if the chain fails and takes out your clutch rod and counter shaft area, I will then ask you how much would you pay right now to not have had it happen.  Guarantee your answer is more than $100.

I suspect its the original chain. anyone know of any way to confirm that? did the oems have any part marking stamped into em?

DSS just got back to me telling they can't get the spring washer, seems like I'll have more than enough time to take care of the chain/sprockets. Wondering if anyone here would be willing to get some measurements off of their washer, thinking I may be able to find something similar on McMaster..

• Member Contributer
2 minutes ago, nikovee said:

I suspect its the original chain. anyone know of any way to confirm that? did the oems have any part marking stamped into em?

DSS just got back to me telling they can't get the spring washer, seems like I'll have more than enough time to take care of the chain/sprockets. Wondering if anyone here would be willing to get some measurements off of their washer, thinking I may be able to find something similar on McMaster..

The fact that it's endless is pretty much confirmation it's original.  It's had a good life.  Well...   a long life.

Scour eBay for sellers with Spindles and inquire about hardware when they took it apart.  Make a separate post in the 3rd/4th forum specifically looking for one too.

• Member Contributer

Also, in your inquiry post, mention the fact that this is the same washer as a Honda Hawk GT NT650.  There are quite a few people that own both VFRs and Hawks around here, including me.

• 7 months later...

Just checking on this thread to see if the OP got it fixed. Hopefully.

Well, didja? 😃

Archived