Can anyone diagnosis this sound?

Chancer

Hi all,

Hope you might be able to help please with this odd query. I have this 'squeaking' sound when 1st gear is selected and engaged. I don't have it when clutch compressed prior to selecting gear. Anyone else ever have this or know what it might be please. Bike running great. Many thanks,

V.

Bike.m4a

• Member Contributer

It is probably a dirty clutch microswitch; you could check that by disconnecting the wires at the clutch switch and see if your mice go away under the test circumstances.

Why? The ECU commands the flapper valve in the airbox to be open in neutral, or closed in any gear with the clutch released (below 5500rpm), or open with the clutch pulled in, in gear. Don't ask me why Honda set it up that way. If the microswitch is a bit dirty, the vacuum solenoid flickers and the vacuum signal fluctuates so the flapper intermittently operates. On my VFR it sounded like electrical arcing, which was more alarming than your mouse noise.

The microswitch can be cleaned out with electrical contact cleaner and a bit of working; if that doesn't help, the microswitch is cheap to replace.

Just now, with the bike on the center stand and side stand out, I heard the same squeak and a click to right of steering column when putting side stand in, could be a bad elect connection to do with side stand?!? 

• Member Contributer
16 hours ago, Chancer said:

Just now, with the bike on the center stand and side stand out, I heard the same squeak and a click to right of steering column when putting side stand in, could be a bad elect connection to do with side stand?!? 

Further to what Terry has suggested. To establish if the noise is coming from the air intake flapper system, try this easy test.

Locate the Control Soleniod for the Flapper diaphragm. Its located next to the airbox on the right side. Follow the vacuum line from the Flapper diaphragm on top of the airbox, it goes down to the Control Solenoid. See attached drawing.

Unplug the electrical connector of the Control Solenoid.

Now go through the same test. Do you still have the noise? 

Do you have the Service Manual for your bike? You can download it from this forum.

RC45AirBox.thumb.jpg.cc332d2b0cec4f6660ac7a174a125539.jpg

20210914_154725.png

Archived