Upgrades

vfrcapn

• Member Contributer

Just posting about a few things done on the '99, I'm coming up on 20-years of ownership this week (9/14) and just short of 118K miles.

Finished up adding the Ducati 1098 rear wheel conversion with the Australian Extreme Creations kit.

And more Sebspeed Customs parts, custom cut RC51 triples with an offset closer to the original VFR specs, with a Rizoma bar.

VFRD Wild headers mated to the completely refurbished Wolf exhaust from sfdownhill, done late last year. And just had the Ohlins serviced a few weeks ago.

More to come eventually, on the lookout for some forged wheels.

Thanks to Sebspeed for the work to create the triples, awesome design. :fing02:

20210911_155826.jpg

20210911_155856.jpg

20210911_155917.jpg

• Member Contributer

I had the same reaction when I saw this some time ago. Those are Harris Rearsets, which they don't make anymore. Seb also produced some nice looking adapters but has said he is too busy to produce more at this time, I see you have placed an ad for some. The third option that I am pursuing is to install the lower shock mounting bracket (BRACKET, RR. CUSHION (LOWER) in Honda lingo, P/N 50475-MCW-D00). This is the same part on all 6th and 8th gen and bolts on to the 5th gen, allowing you to use later model resets as well as aftermarket ones such as Sato,  https://www.satoracing.com/rearsetsVFR800.htm

You will need some of the associated parts such as the through bolts and so on, easy enough to figure out if you look at parts fiche. I have the casting in hand, the rest is a winter project along with replacing the forks, delinking the brakes, installing VFRD headers and an RC51 tail section.

VFR800_RS_BK_L1_650x450.jpg

• Member Contributer

• Member Contributer

They are Harris rearsets, I think they were oem on the 50th Anniv. bike?

Throwing out a pic of Sebspeed's triples too before I mounted them. Offset set at 35mm, mid-point between the VFR 40mm and the RC 30mm. Cerakote H coating in a simple graphite black. I know he isn't on vfrd much but can be found on FB at https://www.facebook.com/SebspeedCustoms/

20210812_172354 (Medium).jpg

• Member Contributer
20 hours ago, Dangeruss said:

I had the same reaction when I saw this some time ago. Those are Harris Rearsets, which they don't make anymore. Seb also produced some nice looking adapters but has said he is too busy to produce more at this time, I see you have placed an ad for some. The third option that I am pursuing is to install the lower shock mounting bracket (BRACKET, RR. CUSHION (LOWER) in Honda lingo, P/N 50475-MCW-D00). This is the same part on all 6th and 8th gen and bolts on to the 5th gen, allowing you to use later model resets as well as aftermarket ones such as Sato,  https://www.satoracing.com/rearsetsVFR800.htm

You will need some of the associated parts such as the through bolts and so on, easy enough to figure out if you look at parts fiche. I have the casting in hand, the rest is a winter project along with replacing the forks, delinking the brakes, installing VFRD headers and an RC51 tail section.

VFR800_RS_BK_L1_650x450.jpg

Why must all the things I want be limited-runs 😭

Thanks for the pointer for that "Harris" set. I sent them an email, and put a watch on ebay for them.
My Classifieds listing is likely wishful thinking... but who knows! I may get lucky.
As for the rear cush drive, I read a lot of archived forums for that, but IIRC the conclusion was that the sizing didnt quite mate up right... But if it can be done, I'm not foreign to big-item swaps... (would be a good excuse to do that ZX10r or 929 shock upgrade since "I'm already in there" -- the most financially dangerous phrase said in builds 😄)

Ah! If you ride hard, you will love the De-link! I did mine (rebuilding both masters -- F4i rear BMC, and rebuilding all calipers + drilling) and HO BABY I can stoppie the front and skid the rear now! The skill ceiling raises quite a bit after the delink, and I get FAR more stopping power in the front -- I paired it with the sexy "Braking" SK2 rotors. Good luck with the build! 

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, vfrcapn said:

They are Harris rearsets, I think they were oem on the 50th Anniv. bike?

Throwing out a pic of Sebspeed's triples too before I mounted them. Offset set at 35mm, mid-point between the VFR 40mm and the RC 30mm. Cerakote H coating in a simple graphite black. I know he isn't on vfrd much but can be found on FB at https://www.facebook.com/SebspeedCustoms/

20210812_172354 (Medium).jpg

That is some impressive eye-candy... 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
On 9/11/2021 at 10:21 PM, vfrcapn said:

Finished up adding the Ducati 1098 rear wheel conversion with the Australian Extreme Creations kit.

And more Sebspeed Customs parts, custom cut RC51 triples with an offset closer to the original VFR specs, with a Rizoma bar.

VFRD Wild headers mated to the completely refurbished Wolf exhaust from sfdownhill, done late last year. And just had the Ohlins serviced a few weeks ago.

Beautiful work, Capn. Not only a goer, but also a shower. Bet it sounds schweet.

Archived