New to me Kawasaki ZX9RF1

Kbear

I just purchased a very stock 2002 ZX9RF1 last Friday. Stock OEM is the way I very much prefer my bikes. Sure, it’s fun to personalize your own with “so-called upgrades”, but for me I prefer my bikes unmolested. Kawasaki’s Candy Gold Spark color scheme. Has just over 26K on the clock. PO says they were easy miles. I’m inclined to take his word. He’s an older gentleman who had to sell the ZX because of back issues. He’s owned the ZX9R since it had just over 1K, so I guess that would make me the third owner. PO has a 2014 BMW1200GS now and couldn’t justify having the ZX too. Funny story: The “young” original owner purchased the bike new without his wife’s permission and now you know why it only had just over 1K when the current PO bought it.

ZX9_b.gif

ZX9_c.gif

ZX9_d.gif

ZX9_e.gif

ZX9_f.gif

ZX9_g.gif

ZX9_h.gif

• Member Contributer

That is in beautiful condition, I recall the later ZX9s were a real weapon and pretty comfy. 

14 hours ago, Terry said:

That is in beautiful condition, I recall the later ZX9s were a real weapon and pretty comfy. 

Yes, the PO took really good care of it. Since it was his only motorcycle care was taken into account. Yep, this ZX9 is a real screamer that's for sure. I really do like the ergonomics. As I mentioned it is all stock and that means no add ons like bar risers. I wouldn't have any issues spending a lot of hours on this bike. I read somewhere that this was Kawasaki's answer to sport touring. I'm still open to the purchase of another "good condition" Gen. 6 VFR if I come across one, but until then I will have as much fun as the law will allow on this ZX9. 

If you're wondering what that metal bar rack is across the back? It has a removable rear luggage rack from Futura. Here's what it looks like. I don't have the luggage rack on now. I'm not too sure I'm that fond of it just yet.

1000347940_20210907_1854511.jpg

1940531689_20210907_1855051.jpg

598352748_20210907_1855321.jpg

• Member Contributer

That metal rack is made right here in New Zealand by a company called Ventura. They sell bike-specific L-brackets that bolt to the frame, and then various universal upper parts depending on your need. That looks like a general-purpose rack, you can also buy just a passenger grab rail, a top-box mount, or a taller version of the rack you have that fits a pack.

https://ventura-bike.com/collections/kawasaki/products/kawasaki-zx-9r-02-03

There's no truth to the rumour that all New Zealand bikes have to have these fitted but I may have been there and done that.

311266850.jpg

IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_2178.JPG

Cadbury out31.JPG

vfr700f5.jpg

cb125t2.jpg

Terry Honda CB400N (1).jpg

vf400f5.jpg

vf750f.jpg

vfr750f22.jpg

7 hours ago, Terry said:

That metal rack is made right here in New Zealand by a company called Ventura. They sell bike-specific L-brackets that bolt to the frame, and then various universal upper parts depending on your need. That looks like a general-purpose rack, you can also buy just a passenger grab rail, a top-box mount, or a taller version of the rack you have that fits a pack.

There's no truth to the rumour that all New Zealand bikes have to have these fitted but I may have been there and done that.

Thank you Terry! I was wrong it is Ventura. I just couldn't think of the name. And thank you for the link. I really like Ventura's soft rear luggage packs. Very cool. I'll be taking a closer look for sure!!!! 👍:woohoo:

• Member Contributer

That's pretty awesome! I may need to make one, thinking about doing some camping trips this winter. There's gathering of sorts in Santa Barbara and I miss my old riding buddies and riding routes through hills there to... Ventura, CA! Might just trailer VFR out there so I can take wife and dogs...

Could you please post some photos of attachment points? I assume it bolts at front to subframe and at rear somewhere? Thx

22 hours ago, TimC said:

Congrats on that gorgeous and super clean Kawasaki!  🙂 

Thanks buddy. It is pretty "gorgeous and super clean". I'm normally into Kawasaki Green but this Candy Gold Spark is pretty cool indeed.

9 hours ago, ducnut said:

Just beautiful. 

Thank you too. It is pretty cool lookin'. Looks like a Jet Fighter plane with its Ram Air intake under the headlights.

8 hours ago, DannoXYZ said:

That's pretty awesome! I may need to make one, thinking about doing some camping trips this winter. There's gathering of sorts in Santa Barbara and I miss my old riding buddies and riding routes through hills there to... Ventura, CA! Might just trailer VFR out there so I can take wife and dogs...

Could you please post some photos of attachment points? I assume it bolts at front to subframe and at rear somewhere? Thx

Sure. The weather's not supposed to be so good tomorrow but when I can I sure will post the mounting points for the Ventura Sport Rack on this 2002 ZX9R.

8 hours ago, Captain 80s said:

The 9 has always been the Kawi I would want to own.  Very cool.

Yes. The 9 is not too small and not too big. It's a good in-the-middle type sport bike. It's not too heavy either. I would have thought it would be heavier. Thank you, It is very cool.

8 hours ago, Dutchy said:

Stinky i4......  :laugh:

🤣 Yeah, Stinky i4. There was a time when that's all I would own. I have several V-Twins and now I have an i4 again. Stinky i4s 😂 It's all good!!!!!

On 9/13/2021 at 10:33 AM, DannoXYZ said:

Here are some images I took this afternoon. I hope they help.

20210914_131316[1].jpg

20210914_131355[1].jpg

20210914_131431[1].jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2021 at 9:10 PM, Terry said:

Terry. Just got my Ventura Sport Pack 10L in the mail today. Pretty neat. Can't fit a ton of stuff in there, but I can stuff a lot of things in there. Thank you, again, for the link to Ventura.

vencase01.jpg

vencase02.jpg

vencase03.jpg

vencase04.jpg

Archived