GPS plug under black cap headstock?

OcularPatDown

Feels good to be back! Bought a new gen 4 in 1997, sold due to unfortunate circumstances in ‘99, but I got a gen 5 in the garage over the weekend, yea! QUESTION! There is a black cap on the headstock of the handlebars, it swings open and “VOILA” there is a plug connector of sort. Not something I’m familiar with….Anybody know what this mates to? A specific GPS or adaptor for power source? 

• Member Contributer

Powerlet sockets, plugs and items are still available, at least on eBay.  I've got one on my RWB bike that the previous owner installed in the stem.  I use it for a little voltmeter that plugs straight into it.  

• Member Contributer

If it looks like this with 21mm wide deep cavity, it’s cigarette lighter socket.

12V_Power_Outlet_Receptacle_11012_f.png

You can plug in any number of accessories such as radar detectors, USB chargers, GPS units, fans, heaters, grills, vacuum cleaners, etc.

https://www.grainger.com/category/fleet-vehicle-maintenance/vehicle-accessories/vehicle-interior-parts-accessories/12-volt-accessories

One of my favorites: https://www.ebay.com/itm/233138561217

If it is indeed smaller-diameter Powerlet socket (aka Hella aka Merit), you should rip it out and replace with more sensible cigarette lighter socket. There’s easily 1000x if not 10000x more accessories for cigarette lighter socket than Powerlet. Not sure how BMW let themselves get swindled into using such non-standard equipment.

https://www.solomotoparts.com/Powerlet-Rigid-Cigarette-Socket-Adapter/

• Member Contributer

This is what I've got - I'm fairly certain Powerlet.  It's not switched - takes off the battery with an in-line fuse. Downside is that if leaving the bike a while it must be unplugged to not run down the battery.  The pigtail on the plugin also powers my tire pump.   Being unswitched I use it in reverse to plug in my battery tender (shown) - no nipple hanging out under the seat.

image.thumb.png.259f817b355e57f725e4682a126189fa.png

• Member Contributer
On 9/9/2021 at 8:19 PM, Cogswell said:

This is what I've got - I'm fairly certain Powerlet.  It's not switched - takes off the battery with an in-line fuse. Downside is that if leaving the bike a while it must be unplugged to not run down the battery.  The pigtail on the plugin also powers my tire pump.   Being unswitched I use it in reverse to plug in my battery tender (shown) - no nipple hanging out under the seat.

<image removed>

That's a Powerlet socket.  I use mine with a battery tender also.  When I'm riding, it gets the little voltmeter.  The RWB bike is my "putt around town" bike, so I don't need power for GPS, phone, heated gear, etc.  

• 5 months later...
  • Member Contributer

More officially known as a Hella/DIN socket. Powerlet were a significant maker of products for these sockets. I looked a few days ago and it looks like they went bust, then there was a management buyout, but it’s not clear to me if they are operational or not. 

These sockets are standard fit on BMWs and Triumphs. I have a couple on my Triumph and just swapped out a cigarette light socket I had fitted on my VFR to one of these.

FWIW, the outer dimensions (i.e. the cutout) on the ones often found for sale for panel fitting are often the same for both types  (and for many voltmeters, USB sockets etc) so it’s easy to do.  But other types of Hella/DIN sockets are smaller diameter fitting hole. Not sure which type this headstock fitted one would be.

They are, in my view, better than cigarette lighter sockets as tolerances are tighter. The plugs are a snug fit which stays put and there is an o ring seal which should provide some (don’t know what) level of splash/rain protection.

Quite a lot of plug options now on this type of socket although generally a bit more costly than cigarette lighter. Worth noting that because the socket is smaller, many plug-in (e.g. USB sockets) sit outside the socket taking up space as opposed to sitting mainly within a cigarette lighter socket.

Archived