2015 VFR 800 Pain in the ar*e !!!!

Hi all VFR 800 riders

So I just returned from a long rideout all day about 300 miles on my VFR, with a 2017 Duke supersport, but I seem to suffer from rear buttock pain at the top of the back of my thighs and stiff legs. After about 3  hours I need a leg stretch and walk around like Douglas Bader for a few minutes rubbing my cheeks. The other riders in my group on Aprillia Kwaks and Dukes seems to have no issues or need a break before I'm begging for a layby stop. 

So the VFR is a sports tourer and I read riders doing miles and miles, but I'm done after about 2 to 3 hours, maybe 4 at a push. 

Before I start looking at gel seats and trying to fix my riding issues, does anyone have the same problem, have they solved the same problem or is the bike and me not suited. I love the bike its a great all rounder, and enjoy riding until I get that cramp feeling and then its uncomfortable and literally a pain in the ar*e !!!

• Member Contributer

What were you riding before?

I was happy with the stock seat for multi hundred miles rides...when I was 30 🙂 If this is not a flexibility or other issue and it's strictly soreness, I sure do like my Seargeant saddle now.

• Member Contributer

That's a bit strange. Has it been a while since you've done long rides? I find the 8gen seat and ergonomics better than the 6gen and can go longer distances without a break if I need to, however I find now its my bladder that dictates my riding distance! But even after around 150k's maximum I'm looking for a stop to stretch the legs and of course, to drain the main vein!!

Years ago I had a test ride on a Ducati sports bike can't remember the model, went like a rocketship but the seat felt like a plank wood and after fifteen minutes I needed a break! Getting back on the vfr felt like a comfortable lounge suite after that!

Perhaps you just need more time in the saddle to get used to it. Depending on your height, placing the seat in it's high position and perhaps some suspension adjustments might help.

Good luck. The 8gen is a great bike.

• Member Contributer

@gizzy123 - you’re in luck, Sussexmotorcyles, will reupholster your seat to your personal requirements, give them a call 

http://www.sussexmotorcycles.com/elite-comfort-motorcycle-seats.html

My 2015 seat was OK when new but the padding went down pretty quickly, by ‘18 it was uncomfortable on long rides, the revised seat is superb, I also had the anti slip fabric used for the new cover

I bought a tatty seat off eBay, had that done then sold the original so the bike was never off the road 

• Member Contributer

Do you Ride with ball of the feet on the pegs, or flat foot ? Try it bikes are so much more responsive when your feet are in touch & it changes the angle of contact & lifts some weight too.

Archived