Charging system question

vikingGoalie

I'm trying to troubleshoot a possible issue with my charging system.

So I got on my VFR other day and started it up, it fires right up.  But I notice something odd, the clock and my trip meter had reset.

I set the clock while the bike is warming up, but my radar is up now.

I run a few errands and the next stop I fire the bike up and the clock resets again, uh-oh I know when the battery gets really low this can happen.

I tempt fate a little make one more stop an when I fire it backup it barely starts,  meaning it starts pretty much right up but engine cranks over like it *just* had enough juice to fire up.

After it's started it runs normal.     So knowing that the charging system on these  (98 VFR)  is weak point and all the R/R failures people have had I get home and put the battery on a tender over night.

Next day, after off the tender an hour or so,  battery is reading 13V with the motorcycle off. 

I did a continuity test of the stator,  testing to see if any of the phases are grounding out. Pass that test.

I then did a diode test of the RR and that passes.

I then put the meter on the battery and fire up the bike.  I swear my first test I held around 14.5V when rpm's where up and 14V at idle.  But 2nd time I video'd it and it seems like some variance. I know I need to directly test the output from the stator with the bike running, honestly just forgot to do it but will.   But any thoughts?

• Member Contributer

What shape were the connectors to R/R and stator in.... discoloured/oxidized/overheated? 

Your charge voltage is fine and indicates the R/R is working......

How old is this battery and how do you maintain it if the bike sits?  EZ enough to go get it load tested, that will tell you if it is losing capacity.

This is just me after reading about all the RR failures.... while your stator is still good, go get the Roadster Cycle RR upgrade.  Cheap insurance if you think about it longer term.  Batteries aren't all that expensive either, but load test yours.  If it's nearing 5 years old, it's just a matter of time anyway, its close to end of life.

Battery is 9-10  months old.

The connectors look fine no burnt anything or corrosion.

I keep the bike in the garage, but it is a pretty cold garage in the winter.

If the bike is going sit for any length (which for me is just a month or two in the dead of winter) I have the battery on a tender.

If it's the cold months I might be riding only 1 a week hopefully more, but since it's cold out there I keep the battery on a tender in general when it's cold and I don't think I'll be back on the bike in the next day or two.

• Member Contributer

Did you check continuity  of the stator with the engine hot?

You should.

The plug into the RR has 3 yellow wires, you measured continuity over the 3 possible pairs.

Unplug.

Set meter to Vac

Start the hot engine (with a full battery).

Do your Vac measurement over each pair of yellow wires on the side of the stator.  Measure at idle and at 5000rpm

As for tge diode test of the RR, the VFR750 Honda manaul specifies specific models multimeters. Something to do with inernal resistance of most makes.

• Member Contributer

Re-reading your original post, would have been handy to know what the battery voltage was before you first fired it up.....

Clock reset, etc..... normally would indicate battery dead.... OR, flaky ground.  Check/refresh frame ground on right side of frame, untape the (orange) ground spider from the main harness on the left side, ensure clean and perhaps use some contact paste (Noalox or OxGard) in the terminals.

I'm assuming you checked the battery terminals for being clean and no issues at the starter relay connector.

8 hours ago, raYzerman said:

Re-reading your original post, would have been handy to know what the battery voltage was before you first fired it up.....

Clock reset, etc..... normally would indicate battery dead.... OR, flaky ground.  Check/refresh frame ground on right side of frame, untape the (orange) ground spider from the main harness on the left side, ensure clean and perhaps use some contact paste (Noalox or OxGard) in the terminals.

I'm assuming you checked the battery terminals for being clean and no issues at the starter relay connector.

Voltage before I fired it up was 13.0V.  after farting around with it for a while and coming back it was 12.8V.

I did check the contacts to the battery and the starter relay connector they look fine.   Good call on the frame ground I will check that.

So I took the battery out and over to batteries plus, they did a load test on the battery and it's CCA is above what it's rated and the voltage is fine so it's not the battery.

12 hours ago, Dutchy said:

Did you check continuity  of the stator with the engine hot?

You should.

The plug into the RR has 3 yellow wires, you measured continuity over the 3 possible pairs.

Unplug.

Set meter to Vac

Start the hot engine (with a full battery).

Do your Vac measurement over each pair of yellow wires on the side of the stator.  Measure at idle and at 5000rpm

As for tge diode test of the RR, the VFR750 Honda manaul specifies specific models multimeters. Something to do with inernal resistance of most makes.

That might be it!   The bike was hot on the ride I did, the fan even kicked on at one point because I was waiting at a light.  Now today I buttoned everything up and was like screw it I'm riding it's too nice out.  I did about 25 miles with one stop it did get a little warm at one point where the engine was reading 212 while I was stopped but mostly it was a good bit lower then that.     Thing is I checked the voltage when I left  (13),  checked when I got back,   13.  So the battery was being charged and didn't drain at all.

But I have to do another test now where I check the continuity on the stator when it's hot.    I don't think I have an issue with the R/R though I might just replace that here soon, just because of all the stories about it.      Thx for the tips guys,   it's definitely a mystery.  In some ways a failed R/R would make me a little happier, only just because I think 100% know what the issue is and I can fix that.  I don't like mysteries when it comes to issues with anything.

Archived