Bay Area Roll Call Ride 2021

jeffyjeff

• Member Contributer

OK, let's try this again, this time without the cheesy Blues Brothers reference.  I've texted the regulars and got a couple of bites.  Would probably get more participation if we rode the Sierras, but the fire situation pretty much puts the kibosh on that idea. 

We meet at Starbucks,  260 Northgate Drive, San Rafael  94903 Saturday, September 18, 2021  (I'll have to do a reconnaissance ride to make sure it's still there).  We'll ride over to Pt. Reyes Station and up the Pacific Coast Hwy.  Lunch in Elk, and back down CA128 to Cloverdale.  We top off the ride at the world famous Hamburger Ranch;  those up for more fun can continue on CA128 to Calistoga and Winters.   

I checked the road conditions with Caltrans, and looks like the road is clear, slight delay near Winters if we elect to extend the ride that far.

Kickstands up at 8:00 AM.   If we hit the road early, maybe we can avoid some traffic on Hwy 1 and perhaps stretch the ride out on the back end.  Hope you can make it.    Jeff J.

In

jeffyjeff

tjclyde

RC1237V (tentatively)

St. Stephen 

Out

Brian F

Crazybro

tc339

• Member Contributer
24 minutes ago, St. Stephen said:

I'm in, confirmed.  😎

Great!  You and Jim can speed ahead while the Road King and I grind off hard parts in the curves.

• Member Contributer

I'm playing tour guide in Yosemite that weekend, have fun!

Yesterday rode Skaggs from Stewards Pt to Healdsburg in perfect Sonoma weather.

What a ride, also had fun from Jenner to Skaggs chasing a R nine T.

That bike can pull. 

• Member Contributer

I spoke with Bayarearider today.  He won't be joining us; he sold he seventh gen DCT and has been mountain bike (bicycle) riding of late.  I'm bummed.  jlpvfr has not responded, but to my recollection, he lives out in Nevada.  I hope the fires are not affecting him at all.  

On  a more positive note, Tirso confirmed to me that the Starbucks on Northgate is still there, so it looks like that is still a good meet-up point.  Two weeks to go, still time to add riders (or for Brian F, Tristan, or Crazybro to change their minds.)

In

jeffyjeff

tjclyde

St, Stephen

RC1237V

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, St. Stephen said:

RC1237V better bring his 7th gen or we all might be banned from VFRD for organizing a ride without any VFR's!  😎

He better bring his turkey repellant.  Last time he almost got nailed by a wayward bird..  

• Member Contributer

One week to go and nobody has dropped out yet.  That's a good sign.  I'll probably test/PM everyone along about Thursday or Friday just to confirm.  Looking forward to seeing everyone.  Have a good week.

• Member Contributer

It's pleasing to see this happening.  There have been so few if any meetups the past few years I've somewhat forgotten how much fun they are.  Enjoy!  

ps, pics appreciated.  :smile:

• Member Contributer
  • Member Contributer

I had great lunch at some place in Boonville. Damn if I can remember what it was. Right on road through town. Actually started snowing when I placed lunch order.

EDIT: Found it, Lauren's at the Buckhorn.

• Member Contributer

Mountain View, 253 and 175, looks like a great route for a Tenere 700. Hmmm  

Fine with me, I love all those roads. But you just eliminated all thoughts of bringing the RC-51!   😎  Thank goodness for 7 inches of Ducati suspension travel!  

I will not meet at the San Rafael SBUX, but will join the group in Point Reyes Station as I did a few years ago. Specifically, at the gas station at the north end of the main drag at 4th & A Street aka Rt. 1. I'll be there at 8:30. Looking forward to a great ride.

edit: watch out for speed traps around the Nicasio reservoir!

• Member Contributer

Ahhh, the Buckhorn, I think that's where Anderson Valley Brewing Co. got started selling their beer. I was there some 23 years ago on our 2nd anniversary. The wife and I had fun passing people in the Porsche, on 128 and then as we were eating, some of them came in. 😂

I started talking to the guy next to me and he was a logging helicopter pilot/mechanic. We started out talking about logging, the spotted owl, and pot farmers in the Emerald Triangle. After many beers we were discussing the rotor mechanism on helicopters. He was probably the guy from Dos Equis, "The most interesting man in the world". Anyway, after too many beers, and taking a leak, I came back out to my seat at the bar and he was gone. My wife and I had a nice dinner, and when we went to pay, they said the helicopter guy paid for everything!

Anyway, back on topic - Lauren's looks good, so does the Redwood Drive In, but there is no gas, so we will top up in Gualala. Looks like a fun ride, and yes Noel, bring the multi-strada as you will be much more comfortable. Someday we will get a ride together on the RC51's! Just put new slicks on mine for the track, so no chance I can take it this time. Speaking of time, I hope there is enough to do the Calistoga grade once or twice!

Yes, we will keep it easy as cops love to hang out by the reservoir!

Looking forward to Saturday!

• Member Contributer

Text messages sent to your cell phones.  Even tried to get Brian to change his mind, but he's chillin in Salt Lake City.

In:

jeffyjeff

tjclyde

St. Stephen

RC1237V

RC 1237's mystery friend

Fog likely on the coast, dress warm for a chilly start.  Bring your cameras, better yet, GoPro if you have one.  Glad to be getting back together.  See you all on Saturday.

Jeff J.

• Member Contributer

We did it!  and judging by the text messages on my phone, I am not the only one who takes great pleasure in the comradery of fellow riders.  Bravo! and thanks for coming out all. 

The ride started off great, but not without incident.  We met in San Rafael as scheduled, and picked up St. Stephen at Pt. Reyes Station (pretty much on time).  I remember tjclyde giving us his smartphone weather report “Eureka 40% chance of rain by 3:00 PM, Cloverdale, 10% by noon”.  Sounded like a safe bet to me.  We started North on the PCH, I was in the lead.  Came up over a rise and encountered some road kill in the oncoming lane.  3 turkey vultures were feasting on the animal. They scattered on our approach, but one flew right into my path.  I ducked down, but struck the bird right on the crown of my helmet; ~60 mph.  WHAM! the impact left me a little dizzy. My neck and shoulders are still a little sore from the impact; fortunately, I was wearing a hoodie under my jacket, and the rolled up hood helped limit the blow from the big bird. We pulled over so I could inspect my helmet for damage, then discovered the wayward bird emptied its bowels all over my tank.    Wiped up and continued, this time with RC1237V in the lead on his Tenere 700.

The weather started misting up a little bit.  Rounded a tight left hander to find the Tenere on its side in a ditch.  Fortunately, the sturdy Yamaha weathered the spill with minimal damage and RC1237V’s riding gear came through about as well as could be expected.  Two incidents in the first hour;  ooh, this is not our norm. 

We continued North.   Through Bodega Bay the precipitation got progressively substantial.  By the time we got to the curves North of Jenner, it was like riding through a car wash.  My vision was significantly impaired; water was dripping down the inside of my face shield, water on my eyeglasses, water on the outside.  My gloves have a wiper on the left index finger, and it was getting constant use until the glove became saturated.  I’m not exaggerating, that was a dangerous section of road to be riding through in those conditions.  We got to Stewards Point and pulled over, all soaked to the bone like wet dogs.  Even tjclyde, who had pulled over to don his raingear, had more water inside than out.

We decided to abort the ride from there, taking Skaggs Springs Road to just outside Healdsburg, where we split up.  Tjclyde and I gassed up and had a great lunch at Adel’s in Healdsburg and then continued down 101 together until he split at CA37 just north of San Rafael.

All in all, I don’t think a single person regrets the experience.  It was good to see everyone again, and meet Mason, RC1237’s buddy.  Looking forward to a ride in the Sierra’s again.  Except for a little soreness from the bird strike, I feel pretty good after a 9-hour, 282 mile day.   Thanks all.  Rubber side down.   Jeff J.

20210918_084107.jpg

20210918_084126.jpg

20210918_084536.jpg

20210918_123504.jpg

20210918_123526.jpg

20210918_123603.jpg

• Member Contributer

Wet! Drought stricken, wildfire plagued norcal...and we get a washout! 

Only 170 miles for me but lots of fun. Thanks Jeff, really appreciate you calling the ride. Great to see you, TJ and Jim again, and meet Mason. Not an RC-51 day...

9D6AC2CA-66A0-4A06-8463-78DA03754E1C.jpeg

Another testament to VFRD people. One VFR shows up for a ride but its cool that the people still hang in here. The east coast is the same way. Glad there wasn't too much adventure.

• Member Contributer

Back in the day (2012) all of us had VFRs.  For various reasons, most of us have moved on.  Here are four inmates L- R.  Brian F, Ed Nelson (VFRD handle ECN) (RIP), tjclyde, and Crazybro.

PA140377C.jpg

• Member Contributer

Yes, good to get back together with you guys! Once it turned dry Mason and I tore it up in an effort to scrub off the rain soaked misery! 

My gear did it's job, and the Tenere took it like a champ, the left crash bar is scuffed, as well as the left hand guard - no damage to the plastics! Will be riding quite a bit of offroad on this bike, so it will probably see a few more incidents, hence the crash protection parts. Many on the Tenere forum warned the stock tires have very little lateral grip in loose, and slippery conditions. My wife asked if I was riding offroad because of the amount of mud on my gear😂 and I said, "No that was from me sliding down the road on my arse!"

I blame it on the combination of clay spots in the wet road, and knobby tires...😬 

Right thumb got sprained, and ribs are sore but I need to go practice on the RC51 for my track day this weekend. I bought a thumb brace, so I hope I can fit it under my glove... gotta get back on that horse!

Aw man what a bummer on the rainout! Sorry I couldn't make it.

Great to see everyone back together again though, and glad to see RC and the Tenere surviving an "off highway excursion." Hope to make it to the next one - thanks for planning this Jeff!

Archived