Aerostich vs Klim

Badger1

I picked up a new R-3 to replace my 5 year old Roadcrafter (50,000 miles and it shows on a Hi-viz suit). I'm a huge fan of their suits, but the seam split within a month. Aerostich took it back no questions asked, AFTER I rode with it for a month! I don't think there's anything comparable out there. So my question: Anybody try a Klim Kodiak at an eye watering $2,000? And does it seem like it can compete with an R-3 Roadcrafter?20210815_175411.thumb.jpg.a58848cee5010b39359e259cde68b3a5.jpg

• Member Contributer

Don't know about the Klim. I do have a Motoport Kevlar 2 piece zip together.  They're made to measure and will customize armor, reflective pieces and other details.  IIRC it was about  $1,200 (maybe a bit more) when I got it.  Thankfully I've never put it to the test, but it has worn like iron over 8 years and about 30,000 miles - still going with no end in sight.

Thanks, how did it hold up in the rain? One thing I like about Aerostich is there's no need to stop to put on wet weather gear, especially if it's just a light or intermittent rain. 

• Member Contributer

I picked up an R3 1-piece a couple of years ago to replace a 17 year old 2-piece Roadcrafter that had over 100K on it. I've never gotten comfortable in the R3 and noticed a few quality issues, like stitching. I've probably ridden less than 2K on the R3, I'm still grabbing the old Roadcrafter most of the time.

The wife has Klim gear, jacket and pants. She's happy with it but only used them a couple of times. Looking for something new I spent an hour or two going through the Klim gear at the Ducati dealer just last month. If I recall the Kodiak is very heavy. What put me off Klim is the lack of zippers on the pant legs, that easy on-off I want for commuting the Stich has. I don't want to be dancing in the parking lot trying to get pants on. But other than that Klim had a few models I'm still considering.

The other brand I want to get a close up look at before I make a decision is Motoport. It's been almost 20 years since I saw one but was very impressed and they always have good reviews. I think they're still in San Diego and have considered riding down for a fitting.

otoh, I may just get a new 2-piece Roadcrafter and call it good for another 20 years!

• Member Contributer

I started out wearing a Aerostich Roadcrafter and put probably more that 100,000 miles on it in all sorts of weather. I think it is a fabulous piece of gear. But I bought my favorite piece of gear when the Transit Suit first came out (at age 62). I note the age because I used my whole first Social Security check to buy a Transit jacket. So great, I used my second SS check to buy the matching pants. It was that suit that saved my bacon and most likely my life when I hit my first deer at 65 mph on I-74 while passing through Urbana Il on the way to T-Mac. Insurance paid for it's replacement. I'm still wearing it many tens of thousands of miles later. 

Production stopped for several years because of the complexity of its manufacture. Aerostich is now making them again with several small improvments. I highly recommend them.

I never leave home for riding without  it.

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, vfrcapn said:

I picked up an R3 1-piece a couple of years ago to replace a 17 year old 2-piece Roadcrafter that had over 100K on it. I've never gotten comfortable in the R3 and noticed a few quality issues, like stitching. I've probably ridden less than 2K on the R3, I'm still grabbing the old Roadcrafter most of the time.

The wife has Klim gear, jacket and pants. She's happy with it but only used them a couple of times. Looking for something new I spent an hour or two going through the Klim gear at the Ducati dealer just last month. If I recall the Kodiak is very heavy. What put me off Klim is the lack of zippers on the pant legs, that easy on-off I want for commuting the Stich has. I don't want to be dancing in the parking lot trying to get pants on. But other than that Klim had a few models I'm still considering.

The other brand I want to get a close up look at before I make a decision is Motoport. It's been almost 20 years since I saw one but was very impressed and they always have good reviews. I think they're still in San Diego and have considered riding down for a fitting.

otoh, I may just get a new 2-piece Roadcrafter and call it good for another 20 years!

IIRC Motoport Kevlar is the only textile approved for track use. The stitching used is Kevlar thread as well.  The trouble with nylon is that in a slide it can melt and bond to the skin. No bueno. The Motoport armor is substantial.  Maybe a bit bulky, but I'm used to it now and would undoubtedly be glad to have it in a get off.  Another thing about the Kevlar besides being super tough is that it has some stretch which helps it conform to the rider.  It's not particularly stylish, but I value protection ahead of that.  The pants have a long zip on the R leg, easy on / off.

As for rain,  I have only worn it in a shower a few times (I don't like riding in rain), but from that limited experience I would say that in steady rain it would be best to be wearing the liner jacket / pants.  Once wet it dries quickly.  There is a waterproofing spray that can be applied - no idea how well it works. 

What about the Klim Hardanger? It's similar to the Roadcrafter in design.

I have Klim adventure gear and it is really good. Is it worth the money? Well, yes, if you're going to actually use it for a long period of time, I'd consider it worth it.

Mine has been completely waterproof and lasted 50,000 kilometres so far without an issue.

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, MaxSwell said:

I started out wearing a Aerostich Roadcrafter and put probably more that 100,000 miles on it in all sorts of weather. I think it is a fabulous piece of gear. But I bought my favorite piece of gear when the Transit Suit first came out (at age 62). I note the age because I used my whole first Social Security check to buy a Transit jacket. So great, I used my second SS check to buy the matching pants. It was that suit that saved my bacon and most likely my life when I hit my first deer at 65 mph on I-74 while passing through Urbana Il on the way to T-Mac. Insurance paid for it's replacement. I'm still wearing it many tens of thousands of miles later. 

Production stopped for several years because of the complexity of its manufacture. Aerostich is now making them again with several small improvments. I highly recommend them.

I never leave home for riding without  it.

I'm not far from that first SS check either. ha

How does the weight of the Transit compare to the Roadcrafter? I'm just imaging the 2-piece RC, but in leather, weighing like 30 lbs?

14 hours ago, superfunkomatic said:

What about the Klim Hardanger? It's similar to the Roadcrafter in design.

I have Klim adventure gear and it is really good. Is it worth the money? Well, yes, if you're going to actually use it for a long period of time, I'd consider it worth it.

Mine has been completely waterproof and lasted 50,000 kilometres so far without an issue.

I immediately thought of the Hardanger, the lack of a full length zipper on the updated version dissuaded me and the potential for a wet lap on the older version put it out of the running. I commute to the office rain or shine and wear shirt and tie under my gear, overpants/suit is at the top of the list. The Transit looks great for weekend riding, but I have reservations about wearing dress clothes under it. Thanks for all the great suggestions. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
On 8/27/2021 at 9:05 PM, vfrcapn said:

I'm not far from that first SS check either. ha

How does the weight of the Transit compare to the Roadcrafter? I'm just imaging the 2-piece RC, but in leather, weighing like 30 lbs?

Roadcrafter: 8 lb.

Transit: 12 lb.

Both suits are about a size medium.

Aerostich says the Transit suit is hydroscopic - it absorbs no water (no weight gain when wet); I've been in some very heavy rainstorms and stayed dry

And the leather bonded with Goretex is treated with a anti-UV treatment that is supposed to wear 10 F cooler that non-treated leather.

It aslo has TF armor that is flexible at rest but hardens when struck, absorbing energy in the process 

Archived