New 1100cc ST Honda

I really liked the prototype but somehow the new images just don't have the same draw. Maybe when I see one in person.

• Member Contributer

If one of these were parked next to an A.T. in the showroom I wonder how much difference I would notice. 

• Member Contributer

Looks remarkably concentually similar to the new Triumph that was leaked today...motorcyclists must be getting older and less flexible. Personally I like the direction these are headed in. https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new-bikes/triumph-tiger-sport-660/

Triumph-Tiger-660-04.jpg?mode=max&quality=90&scale=down

• Member Contributer

Looks good, but I will be sticking with the V4, if it was a 1000cc V4 they would have my attention.

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Terry said:

Looks remarkably concentually similar to the new Triumph that was leaked today...motorcyclists must be getting older and less flexible. Personally I like the direction these are headed in. https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new-bikes/triumph-tiger-sport-660/

The more upright seating position certainly suits many of us older riders, hence the constant interest in raising the bar heights etc on the 800/1200 VFRs. It is a shame the Crossrunner is not more widely available as this for me is the perfect answer.

I don't understand how Honda think an engine so lacking in character (so I've heard) will sell in the ST corner of the market.

50 minutes ago, MotormikeVFR said:

Does nothing for me. Those bags look tiny.  I'd stay with an Africa Twin ES or find a nice 1200X Crosstour. 

Just playing devil's advocate here...

I've seen at least one review that said the Africa Twin doesn't make for a great street bike.  For riders who want more of an adventure style bike but who don't need any off-road capability (like the folks who buy a BMW GS but never venture off pavement), this new Honda might work for them.  It's a popular segment, though I doubt Honda will sell a ton of these.

• Member Contributer

The ST version isn't really pictured, so it could be closer to the ST line of bikes when they're all said and done. However the engine, as noted, isn't likely to thrill anyone.

7 hours ago, thtanner said:

The ST version isn't really pictured, so it could be closer to the ST line of bikes when they're all said and done. However the engine, as noted, isn't likely to thrill anyone.

I don't know about that.  Parallel twins have come a long way in the last several years in my opinion.  I test rode a 2014 or 2015 BMW F800GT a few years ago and was unimpressed with its parallel twin.  It was "wheezy" and felt underpowered, including lacking any real punch.  But while bike shopping last year I test rode a new BMW F750GS, which has a newer version of that parallel twin, and I was kind of surprised how much livelier it felt.  Up such an engine's displacement to 1100cc, especially if it's retuned for street use (compared to the Africa Twin) and it might be pretty decent.

Besides, I think many people buying a bike like this aren't doing track days.  They might hit the twisties but they're not looking for, nor expecting supersport performance out of an adventure style sport-tourer.

Just my two cents.  😉  

• Member Contributer

Looking at the rendering vs a profile photo of an AT, it does seem like the seating is less upright, maybe lower seat height  / ground clearance, less suspension travel and obviously cast vs spoke wheels - not surprising.  Maybe more or less like the VFR800 / Crossrunner and VFR1200 / Crosstourer.  Highly similar but different.  Regardless, it would seem that if one wants a full fairing bike from Honda in that segment you're out of luck.  Still just baffles me how Honda missed that a liter displacement in the VFR formula is what most of us wanted.  Somehow I just have not warmed to the industrial look.  Apparently though that's what the market wants.  It will indeed be interesting to see one in person. 

Archived