Where is missing clutch-switch on '86 RC24???

DannoXYZ

• Member Contributer

Had an embarrassing event in S.F. where I stalled it taking off from light going uphill. Couldn't restart it by just squeezing clutch, had to shift into neutral. Then I examined it closer later and found wiring from clutch switch is not plugged into anything! 

uc?export=download&id=1BNY_e4SKxBB89jpHF

I looked all around harness to find section of wiring that should plug into switch. Nope, it's gone! Schematic shows G & G/R wire pair that connects to 9-pin connector. I found TWO 9-pin connectors on other side of bike, but no loose wiring anywhere.

Anyone have photo of which 9-pin connector this is showing G & G/R wires coming out? Thx

• Member Contributer

Maybe I am misunderstanding.  Is that a pic of your bike, or a pic of what you hope to have found?

Those wires are incorporated into the handle switch assemblies.  So did someone install a different switch assy that doesn't have those wires?

I think I'm confused.

• Member Contributer

Picture is of pig-tail coming out of clutch-switch. It's missing section of wiring that goes from pig-tail and connects to harness of bike. Currently it's not connected to anything. I'm trying to find where on harness it should plug into. Wiring-diagram shows two 9-pin connectors. Was hoping someone had photo and location of specific 9-pin connector that clutch-switch should plug into. Then I'll just work up short jumper section to bridge clutch-switch into harness.

uc?export=download&id=1FIHbmVMzvjWyYwdbK

• Member Contributer

Those leads plug into the switch that is attached to the bottom of the clutch m/c and is activated by the lever.  Just like the brake side.

• Member Contributer

On my bike, those leads come from clutch switch at bottom of MC. I'm trying to figure out where those plugs should connect to harness. I'm missing section of wiring between two red-arrows in diagram above.

• Member Contributer

Normally those leads are incorporated with the wiring loom for the switch assembly and just emerge from the tape before the housing.

• Member Contributer

Yes, it's only 6" long and comes out of clutch-switch. Might be an extension? It does have aftermarket clip-ons and I suppose the controls and clutch-switch may not be original.

I'll find both 9-pin connectors and find one with G & G/R wires. Then traces those outwards and see if there's disconnected ends somewhere on way to handlebar.

Thx

• Member Contributer

Yeah, must not be original handle switch assy.  You should be able to depin any wires taking those spots at the harness plug and run an extension?

Weird.

• Member Contributer

I'm hoping G & G/R wires are properly connected to 9-pin connector and are just clipped at end near handlebar. Then I can just install 2 male spade-connectors and connect to that pigtail. 🙂

• Member Contributer

Hi Danno.

Very strange indeed. Why would that section of the wire harness be removed, makes no sense?

I wonder if somewhere up near your clutch switch is the original harness clutch switch wires sitting there unconnected, or perhaps cut off near the switch?

The current ones dangling off the switch may well be from a different switch assembly that's been fitted at some stage, and the original switch wires haven't been bothered with to reconnect them to the switch!:wacko:

• Member Contributer

I found cut ends under tape near end of harness bundle! No idea why that was.

Rather than restoring to stock, I'm going to install lighting controls from CBR250RR. Has momentary flash-to-pass button as well as hazard flashers! 🙂

• Member Contributer
37 minutes ago, DannoXYZ said:

I found cut ends under tape near end of harness bundle! No idea why that was.

Rather than restoring to stock, I'm going to install lighting controls from CBR250RR. Has momentary flash-to-pass button as well as hazard flashers! 🙂

Well...   it's nice that you could hook it up before doing the swap.  Cool.

Archived