What is this? Ghetto wired under right fairing.

Devo

Hello everyone! Long time vfr owner (4th gen) and new 6th gen owner wrenching on the bike for the first time. Had some electrical gremlins due to the r/r (I hope), and found this sexy connector.

IMG_20210821_170000.thumb.jpg.d67a0e66b1187a24c6f082d2c235d829.jpg

Fun times. Anyways, while I had the right fairing off, I discovered this red thing. There are some chips sunk into epoxy and a red light in the center. The red light comes on when the ignition is switched on. There are no markings (other than the chip info) on it. The chip (KSL K5V-1) appears to be a pcb mount spdt switch "for signal circuits".

The blue wires don't appear to go anywhere. There's a ground wire just offscreen and the purple wires go to somewhere underneath the airbox. The red wire is spliced into the red/black wire coming from the key cylinder (which I assume is to grab a switched 12v?).

IMG_20210821_165050.thumb.jpg.97ffba3aaa1f739e2cf39d3d10856ccf.jpg

Under the airbox.

IMG_20210821_172315.thumb.jpg.791a82f0eb46adbcb9e72cce1f220955.jpg

I was hoping this looked familiar to one of the gurus on here and they could tell me what it was for.

Thanks in advance everyone!

The stator to regulator connector is a common issue. Poor connection leads to high resistance = heat and melting the plug.

Be sure to check main fuse B by the battery and the connector on the starter relay

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

The connector in the 3 yellow stator wires is an all too common failure point on our VFR's.  Once you have that rectified be sure to check your charging voltage.  If low go through the guides in the electrical forum to get that fixed as well. 

As for the "red thing", hard telling what that is - maybe something for an alarm or an engine disabling advice.  If it weren't round and red I'd guess it could be a relay as the red wire seems tapped in to power, the purple wire could be attached to an ignition-on source and the blue wires are long with an open connector as if intended to power something.  If so, wow what a weird set up.  If you have a voltmeter, check to see if you have battery voltage at the blue wires' connector with the key on.    In the view under the airbox the inlet air temp sensor is protruding downward.  No reason to wire something in to that.  If the wire is tied in to the injector harness I'd guess it's some sort of device to disable the engine from running.  Removing the airbox is not hard - just keep the airhorns in their proper place / orientation and be sure you know where all the vacuum hoses go.  The wiring connectors are easy - just be sure to re-attach the one to the IAT in your photo - it's easily forgotten being out of sight.  If it were mine, I'd trace all those wires to where ever they go and get them all the hell out of there.  You're right - it is a ghetto set up. 

• Member Contributer

Assuming the wiring is intergrated with the IAT Sensor then ghetto device might be a means of tricking the ECM IAT signal, ultimately re-jigging A/F ratio.

The small trim pot next to the pcb relay would allow the adjustment for a desired A/F ratio, by effecting the IAT signal to the ECM. Wonder if the junction of the blue wires is actually a thermistor of some sort, to replace the IAT?

Agree with Cogswell trace all ghetto wiring to its origin and remove it! Make sure IAT connections are all good and back to standard. Hopefully there's no damage to the IAT itself!

A little guesswork here but that's my 2 cents worth!

• Member Contributer

Wow, pricey POS!!! Looks like it can also simulate fake O2-sensor signals to trick ECU into thinking O2-sensors are installed when you disconnect them. To prevent  FI light.

https://www.magnumtuning.com/en/detail/dyno-boost-atv-performance-chip/intimidator

Anything that uses Scotch locks is automatic fail for me. Yeah, remove it.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived