8 Gen VFR adding Fuse Box

Nid

Hi everybody. I recently bought a 2014 VFR800 and I'm loving it but I'm starting to do some updates. I want to put in a fuse box for a USB charger, dash cam etc but I don't know where on the bike to put it. I wanted to go under the rear seat but it's not a clear surface because of all those random plastic walls. They seem like they are for routing wires but I can't imagine which wires. Does anyone have an idea of where else I could mount the fuse box or if I could just Dremel away all those little walls and mount it under my rear seat? The box itself is roughly 4"x4". Looking forward to any advice. 

• Member Contributer
49 minutes ago, Nid said:

Hi everybody. I recently bought a 2014 VFR800 and I'm loving it but I'm starting to do some updates. I want to put in a fuse box for a USB charger, dash cam etc but I don't know where on the bike to put it. I wanted to go under the rear seat but it's not a clear surface because of all those random plastic walls. They seem like they are for routing wires but I can't imagine which wires. Does anyone have an idea of where else I could mount the fuse box or if I could just Dremel away all those little walls and mount it under my rear seat? The box itself is roughly 4"x4". Looking forward to any advice. 

Depending on your total current draw, you could take advantage of the already installed "options rear" Plug/Socket. (See attached part wiring picture.) The plug is designed for an aftermarket Alarm System. The Black/Yellow wire of the plug as a power source will probably accommodate the load of a USB charger and dash cam.

- The Black/Yellow wire is a Switched 12v supply from the 10amp Acc Fuse. Suggest using this as your Power Source, be aware this Fuse also powers your Heated Grips. (assuming you have the Deluxe model).

- The Red/Green wire is a NON Switched 12v supply from the 10amp Clock/Haz Fuse.

- The Green wire is Ground.

-The Pink wire don't touch. This is for the alarm system to enable all indicators to Flash.

Vfr800_Acc.JPG

• Member Contributer

Make sure to put a fuse on the power 12V lead.... I used a marine grade power distribution block.....Mine has worked great for 6k miles so far, I could have done it better and I made a wiring harness for someone that was better than mine. The Dyno PCV has a very short wiring harness, so I was limited on where things could reach and be mounted...

You get your power from the switch power OEM connection as stated above by GRUM. 

You can get the Male 4 pin connector to plug into the OEM Switched power...

Marine grade distribution block velcro'ed under the seat.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082YZK7NN/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3006TJ1R1T9M5&fbclid=IwAR2QrHHun6G8_8lRAHdHlA61eVi-ToRyxkg6KDDLn_nguqn9z0pOzFEEYYI&th=1

See pics below...

20200612_230944.jpg

20200612_231024.jpg

20200612_231035.jpg

146640628_4096938743683551_4265664303855684386_n.jpg

146774635_4096938727016886_7176490996940753953_n.jpg

146821447_4096933637017395_10766943140776692_n.jpg

304c7bcfed06125ee7495ed8f9968707.jpg

Thanks guys. I didn't know about the OEM Switched Power supply so that is really useful. I have a marine grade power distribution box but I'm having trouble getting it to fit under the rear seat because of all those little plastic walls. (I circled them in the pic to avoid confusion cause I don't know what they're called). Does anyone know what the point of those bits are, cause I'm thinking of cutting them off to make a level surface. What do you all think?

Screenshot_20210819_111240.jpg

• Member Contributer

Blend them away to your heart's content.  Looks like they are tool holders, not anything that is for support / strength.

• Member Contributer

Those are for the Honda U wheel lock …..presumably in the hope you get one

6 minutes ago, Thumbs said:

Ohhhh. I feel a lot better about wanting to cut them off now lol. Thanks 

• Member Contributer
14 minutes ago, Thumbs said:

Oh yeah!!!!   Now I remember that!

14 hours ago, Grum said:

Depending on your total current draw, you could take advantage of the already installed "options rear" Plug/Socket. (See attached part wiring picture.) The plug is designed for an aftermarket Alarm System. The Black/Yellow wire of the plug as a power source will probably accommodate the load of a USB charger and dash cam.

- The Black/Yellow wire is a Switched 12v supply from the 10amp Acc Fuse. Suggest using this as your Power Source, be aware this Fuse also powers your Heated Grips. (assuming you have the Deluxe model).

- The Red/Green wire is a NON Switched 12v supply from the 10amp Clock/Haz Fuse.

- The Green wire is Ground.

-The Pink wire don't touch. This is for the alarm system to enable all indicators to Flash.

Vfr800_Acc.JPG

Do you know if there's information about this in the service manual / what page? I understand what you're saying but idk how to identify that wire. 

1 hour ago, VifferJ said:

I mounted mine in the very back section.

IMG_5351.JPG?width=960&height=720&fit=bo

Cool. What did you do with the black box that was there? (The turn signal relay I think)

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, Nid said:

Do you know if there's information about this in the service manual / what page? I understand what you're saying but idk how to identify that wire. 

The connector is located next to your left side Fuse Box. Its a clear colored connector having the 4 wires as previously described. The picture shows it. I've added some black tape and a ty-wrap around it.

There is no mention of it in the Service Manual, only shown on the circuit diagram.

20210820_102311.jpg

• Member Contributer

MIne is in the tail section Like Viffer J.  Is one from Eastern beaver. I have a Perspex cover over top as my Autocom sits over the top, Switched power from the connector next to the battery.  I have also removed all the extra mouldings in the rear to give me a bit more space.

DSC_3133.JPG

DSC_3136.JPG

DSC_3139.JPG

20200404_103409.jpg

IMG_0265.JPG

Archived