Re-baseline Dyno --- 114.5hp --- 59lbft ---

Ughandi

• Member Contributer
On 8/31/2021 at 2:24 PM, ShipFixer said:

ShipFixer, M.S. MechE

Please let us know what your education and credentials are below.  I'll wait.

You know me Patrick... I'm just a dumb guy with a Lathe and Mill...

LarryMachiningAnnesSpacers.jpeg

• Member Contributer
13 hours ago, BusyLittleShop said:

LarryMachiningAnnesSpacers.jpeg

Not even CNC? How barbaric...

uc?export=download&id=1BGevvpSBHoIyYTx4q

uc?export=download&id=1DYwQ9aP3tTjlZFGyKuc?export=download&id=1W1bhWN7GUC9wr5Kz4

uc?export=download&id=1Y_gkc-f0CsLoyjUAw

Whoops, this one won't work.

uc?export=download&id=1fC3gPzJjwhSz57Dwo

• Member Contributer
On 8/31/2021 at 3:15 PM, DannoXYZ said:

A 2017 VFR800 engine is nowhere even close to same engine as 1998.

Negative... Mr.Honda's V4s are evolutionary not revolutionary...

05PBRC45 01..jpg

• Member Contributer
31 minutes ago, DannoXYZ said:

Not even CNC? How barbaric...

No CNC... just a manual Lathe and Mill at the Busy Little Shop to machine my magnesium triple clamps...

1922147049_a35b7d3a42_o.jpg

• Member Contributer
15 hours ago, BusyLittleShop said:

That's exactly the point, you are a layman, I know exactly what your qualifications are not, but you spend a lot of time trying to debate people with far more real credentials on topics where you have gross conceptual errors.  Why do you keep bringing out the same hot garbage?  For example, you watched the first half of a Youtube video from a professor who talks about "flow" around an airfoil, and didn't watch the second half when he went into why the working fluid is pushed down...viscosity.  

Rather than spend a lot of time fishing on Google, why don't you crack a book or three and learn what these words actually mean before coming up with your own laws of physics?

Here's a good one, answer the simplest of exercises.  If viscosity doesn't matter and isn't the determinant for the distance between lubricated surfaces, why don't you go put SAE 0 in your RC45 this afternoon and ride it around?  In BLS World, more "flow" is better, right?  One of two things is possible.  Either your understanding is correct and you can push down past SAE 30, and it actually gets better because it's "more flow," or there is a fundamental misunderstanding of how lubrication works on both your part, and some of your Google sources.

• Member Contributer

Fellas, FELLAS!
No matter how much I do appreciate arguments about machining parts ( as an Engineer by trade, trust me I really do!) ... 

This is one heck of a way to hijack a thread.

I'm certain you're all VERY familiar with your lubricants, now stop rubbing them against eachother and make a new forum post about it 😅

I'm sticking with the juice that the Honda Engineers recommended at the turn of the century since I'm convinced I don't know enough about engine lubricants to think I'm smarter.

• Member Contributer

May I just point out that when the 1990 VFR750F was released in late 1989, there weren't a lot of alternatives to 10W40 dino oil.  Yes, synthetics existed, and other grades existed, but oil technology has certainly moved on since then.  Therefore it makes perfect sense that more modern formulations can indeed be better than the 10W40 specified in the Owners' Manual, although it also makes sense that some of them could be worse.  My point is that what's written in the Owners' Manual isn't necessarily the best advice today (although I don't have any to offer!)

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, JZH said:

May I just point out that when the 1990 VFR750F was released in late 1989, there weren't a lot of alternatives to 10W40 dino oil.  Yes, synthetics existed, and other grades existed, but oil technology has certainly moved on since then.  Therefore it makes perfect sense that more modern formulations can indeed be better than the 10W40 specified in the Owners' Manual, although it also makes sense that some of them could be worse.  My point is that what's written in the Owners' Manual isn't necessarily the best advice today (although I don't have any to offer!)

I see what you're thinking but it doesn't play out that way.  Viscosity measurement and specification hasn't really changed, and the stuff inside your engine is designed with the viscosity of the lubricant at the same time.  The viscosity range we have today was generally available then, and if anything the changes in API, JASO, etc. formulations have some negatives in there with the positives...if you Google history of API changes across other forums there are some opinions from more chemically oriented people out there.  The newer oils are generally more stable but they all deliver the same viscosity, which is all that matters.  The other stuff preserves the oil and the engine.  What's mathematically interesting is things like density do not show up in the Sommerfeld number like they do in the Reynolds number or other similar things.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sommerfeld_number

Anyway, we know exactly what happens when you raise or lower viscosity.  For bearings we've known for about 100 years, for modern plateau-honed cylinders since the early 1980's and maybe earlier.  It's pretty obvious what many manufacturers have been up to for the last two decades.  It's like shaved tread efficiency tires and cheap wipers.  Stuff that helps them, but maybe not the consumer.

Archived