1998 VFR 800

Jrob76

So when I ride my VFR will run fine for a while but then cuts out and dies if I turn the ignition off and wait a few minutes it’ll run fine for a little while longer till it does it again Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

• Member Contributer

Hi Jrob76.

Welcome to the forum. You'll have to post a picture or two of your bike.

A few questions if you could answer will help. Need to understand a bit more of the problem.

1. When the fault occurs and cycling your ignition switch. Do you always hear the fuel pump prime for a couple of seconds at switch on? 

2. What is the status of your Fi light? When the fault happens does the light come on?

3. With your Sidestand down, Ignition to On, Kill Switch to Run. Does your Fi light flash a code?

4. When the fault occurs and in Neutral, are you able to crank the bike over but it just won't start?

5. When the fault occurs do you also loose your headlights?

6. When the fault occurs does the engine instantly stop OR does it cough and splutter a bit then dies?

7. Lastly, do you have the Service Manual? You can download it from this forum.

First check the state of your two 30amp main fuses. Main fuse B can suffer badly from overheated burnt connections and wiring. Main fuse A is the one in your Starter Relay.

Also make sure battery terminals are clean and tight.

• Member Contributer

Hi Cogs and Mello.

If his charging system was faulty would he still be able to continually restart the bike after a short wait time?

I would have thought if his charging system was dying = dead battery, no more re starts?

Certainly agree the charging system is most definetly a weakness with the 5gen.

Just didn't think it was symptomatic of his basic fault description! 

• Member Contributer

I had a rectifier fail like that when it got hot the bike died, restarted after a few min, enough to get me home and do Mello's process.

Archived