Keeping the under seat exhaust cooler

Thumbs

• Member Contributer

In the video he sorts out a heat shield for his 8 litre Viper engine that works perfectly so a Viffer is going to be no problem 

• Member Contributer

That's an interesting machine...

On the off chance anyone is looking for a good high-temp heat shield material and not just looking at the cool bike, I've found carbon felt to be really amazing stuff. Good to 400C in oxygen and much higher without, it feels like a soft wooly blanket and weighs almost nothing. It isn't the cheapest thing out there, but it's impressive stuff. 

• Member Contributer

In the video @5:10 he’s got a piece the insulation on his finger will a welding torch on the other side of the 1/4” thick block

Is the carbon felt that efficient?

06084180-390E-4591-A5B0-41B1CDE8D83D.png

• Member Contributer

His motto must be "Go BIG or go home" . . . 630kg - if that tipped over it would take a tow rig or 4 or 5 of one's strongest friends to hoist that thing back on its wheels.  I have to tip my hat to him - he's done some impressive engineering and fabrication to build it.  While the V-10 is impressive, if I had my way I'd use a V-8 just for being a bit more compact and having a much better sound. 

• Member Contributer
22 hours ago, Thumbs said:

In the video @5:10 he’s got a piece the insulation on his finger will a welding torch on the other side of the 1/4” thick block

Is the carbon felt that efficient?

It's not as dense, so it wouldn't deflect the gas in a torch to that degree, but combined with a thin piece of tin to deflect the flame, it will keep up until the tin melts. Depending on your application, the carbon felt might be much easier to work with. For example, fitting it to the back side of all the existing vfr heat shields: drill rivets, trim to fit felt with scissors, spray glue in place, re-rivet.

Archived