ECU Replacement?

Redrider2k2

Hi folks

If you dont feel like reading, here's the question with no nonsense - I have a 2002 VFR800 (ABS model, if that matters). It's a North American (Canadian) bike. Can I replace the ECU with any 2002-2005 VFR800 ECU? The part number from the one in the bike is 38770-MCW-A02.

Basic back story - I picked up this bike last night knowing very little about it. Supposedly passed around with an "Electrical Issue" that nobody could sort out. Wiring is in rough shape from having too many people's dirty hands on it. The first complaint was "Fuel pump won't prime". I found the bank angle sensor not allowing anything to power up. Bypassed it and now getting power out to where it needs to go on the B/W wire with key on. BUT it now pops one of the 30amp main fuses. I've narrowed it down to the ECU. With the ECU connected, there is a dead short to ground on the B/W wire. The ground pin and B/W wire pin in the ECU's grey plug have less than an ohm of resistance across them. I think it's strange that the bank angle sensor AND the ECU would fail like this but from the look of the bike, it's possible the bank angle sensor could have gone bad and then someone fried the ECU by messing with it...

Archived