Hot Climate Oil Preference?

SchlepRock

Hi all. I recently moved to Las Vegas and I am getting some conflicting advice from locals concerning oil weight and hot weather viscosity and I am searching for some feedback.

I lean towards factory recommendations with Honda vehicles. Cars, motorcycles and lawn mowers all are serviced using factory recommendations.

It's been suggested that I run 10w40 as opposed to the 10w30 GN4 that I used in February. On my 2wheel trip to Vegas, I had run very low on oil after day 2. Barely in the sight window. The motorcycle shop nearest to my hotel only had various 10w40 or 20w50 or other choices other than 10w30. I got Amsoil 10w40 synthetic in there and had zero issues and am still having zero issues.  I feel the need to change it out. I would normally default to factory 10w30 GN4, but I have been advised to go up a weight due to the hot weather. One thing I am considering is the riding I'm likely to do the most of will be in the mountains, elevated and much cooler.

What does VFRD think?

• Member Contributer

You are over stressing about the oil weight. Whilst the Honda recommendation is 10w30, 10w40 in warmer climates is fine and more than likley beneficial, absolutely nothing to worry about. I've only ever used 10w40 in my 4 VFR'S since 2005.

Not going to mention what oil and why!

What is a concern is your oil usage to Vegas, how many miles?

Are you checking your oil level on level ground while on the center stand? Do you allow time for the oil to settle?

Very nice photos you've posted.

I check it on ground level, even with the sight window, both wheels on the ground, balancing the bike back and forth delicately. I put the side stand out, crouch down, grab the bar, balance and look.

The first day was 450miles or so. Second day was 700 or so. Real hot the first day. Very windy. Second day was up and down mountain roads for 10hours. It went from just below top line before I left to just in the sight window, below the bottom line when I checked it before day 3. I didn't check level before day 2 due to overwhelmingly foul stench in Dalhart, TX. Fighting the vomit reflex for 30minutes getting out of there. Once I hit New Mexico, all things turned wonderful and I forgot to check along the way. No excuse.

It hasn't changed since then. Day 3 was 12 hours of mountains, with some desert sprinkled in at the end.

It feels great heading up to Charleston Peak. I've done that the last 2 mornings. Pretty spirited pace. The bike just feels great!

I'm just a little paranoid. If you do what Honda says when they say it should be done, I have yet to encounter any issues with any Honda I've ever owned. 12 vehicles total.

• Member Contributer
40 minutes ago, SchlepRock said:

I check it on ground level, even with the sight window, both wheels on the ground, balancing the bike back and forth delicately. I put the side stand out, crouch down, grab the bar, balance and look.

This method is inconsistent and you are running the risk of having your bike fall over, not a good procedure.

You need to be on known level ground, your bike has a center stand, best to use it when checking oil level.

• Member Contributer

Grum is right - lose control of the bike while bending down to look in the site glass and you could be in a world of hurt.  As long as you're following manufacturer's recommendations, you'll be fine.  Keep the oil level correct and ride it - don't worry about it.  :wheel:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

The factory manual lists 10w40 as an acceptable option in hot climates. It's becoming a somewhat uncommon weight these days, I've noticed.

I would use synthetic oils in hotter climates as they will perform better, usually. I use Honda HP4S on the bikes I ride during summer (any good synesthetic JASO MA oil of the correct weight is fine)

• Member Contributer

10W40 is perfectly fine... I personally wouldn't go any thinner.  Amzoil fine.  You do need a consistent method of checking you could be falsely thinking you're burning oil.... I kinda doubt it.

No shortage of 10W40 around...... ???  Most all the major m/c oil folks have 10W40.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, raYzerman said:

10W40 is perfectly fine... I personally wouldn't go any thinner.  Amzoil fine.  You do need a consistent method of checking you could be falsely thinking you're burning oil.... I kinda doubt it.

No shortage of 10W40 around...... ???  Most all the major m/c oil folks have 10W40.

Take VFRs for example. 5th gen came factory 10w40. They swapped to 10w30 for 6th gen on. On the shelves I have a harder time finding 10w40 vs 10w30 and 5w30 locally.

Archived