Suspension Tuners - SW PA or within an hour or two

thestumper

Somewhere on the board there's a thread about regretting buying the "Base" model.   After screwing around with suspension settings last night, I now understand the question a little better.   My knuckles and my pride are a little damaged this morning and fighting the shock with a borrowed wrench (because there wasn't one in my toolkit...), it didn't take much time to begin to long for remote adjustability....

... but even worse....  no adjustability up front 😞

I had two Sprint ST's that had Racetech jobs done professionally (ie:  NOT ME...) and those bikes handled up front as well as my 2004 R1.  Seeing as I have no adjustability, it looks like I may go down the same route.    Again - this is not something I trust myself doing....  looking for a pro and willing to pay a fair price.  

Anyone know of someone in the Ohio Valley/SW PA area that could potentially accommodate this?   The Racetech Service Center near me seems to focus exclusively on dirt bikes and I'm looking for other options.  

Thx!

• Member Contributer

Not your locale - but the place to go is Daugherty Motorsports.  Jamie is a member here and does a lot of work on Hondas.  He reworked my 6th gen suspension - it went UPS 2,000 miles each way, no worries.   Lots of members here have had him do their suspensions - top work.

https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/forums/topic/98108-new-dmr-fork-cartidge-kit-1998-2001-vfr800/&tab=comments#comment-1125521

http://daughertymotorsports.com/

• Member Contributer

Jamie does a great job... I like that I can just send him forks and tell him what I want done. 

He does the work and ships them back. Its painless, I like.... :fing02:

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, mello dude said:

Jamie does a great job... I like that I can just send him forks and tell him what I want done. 

He does the work and ships them back. Its painless, I like.... :fing02:

Wish he lived in Australia! 

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, Grum said:

Wish he lived in Australia! 

1 hour ago, thestumper said:

Fort Wayne is in range for a 2 day trip for me...  I could make that happen!   Thx!!!

Grum, 

International shipping isn't cheap, but it's not necessary for an in person visit - he does the mods by taking a survey of the rider's data and self described riding style. I'm sure he's worked with customers in other countries.

thestumper:  As above,  no need to see him in person.  Actually, even if you did  I don't believe he diassembles your bike for you - you'll need to get the components to him yourself.  You'd need to verify that by contacting him tho.  Winter is the busy time as everyone wants it done in the off season. 

• Member Contributer

I have a dedicated "fork box" that has made a handful of UPS trips between Dayton and Fort Wayne.

Watched a video - it's not as bad as I thought.   Front wheel = almost halfway there and I do that regularly.   I have have hard shotgun cases laying around because I've upgraded them, but I have to figure they would be just about perfect...   this might not be so bad after all 🙂

I agree with what everyone has said about using Jamie's suspension tuning expertise. His fork and shock upgrades transformed my

VFR into a sweet handling machine. No doubt the best upgrades I've done for it. Money well spent.

Jamie is a super nice guy and was great to talk to over the phone but he is apparently overrun with work. I tried to buy from him last year and after three months without anything to show we decided to drop the order. It was not a supply issue. He forgot about me twice and then still needed time to get the kit together. I don't want to disparage him or his work but feel like I owe the members here the warning. His business has grown a lot from what most here had experience with. I've talked in private with a few people from this forum who had similar issues. If you decide to go with him, ask up front about real timelines.

In the end, I ordered gold valves and springs from Racetech. I installed them myself and will say that its pretty simple and I feel better understanding how it all goes together. 

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Sweeper said:

Jamie is a super nice guy and was great to talk to over the phone but he is apparently overrun with work. I tried to buy from him last year and after three months without anything to show we decided to drop the order. It was not a supply issue. He forgot about me twice and then still needed time to get the kit together. I don't want to disparage him or his work but feel like I owe the members here the warning. His business has grown a lot from what most here had experience with. I've talked in private with a few people from this forum who had similar issues. If you decide to go with him, ask up front about real timelines.

In the end, I ordered gold valves and springs from Racetech. I installed them myself and will say that its pretty simple and I feel better understanding how it all goes together. 

That's a valuable heads up.  An extended turnaround time would be a significant consideration.  Even for the month or so my bike was in pieces, I sweated a bit because I had a 400 pound brick sitting in my garage that I could not move until Jamie got the components back to me.  I suppose if sending parts to him, be sure the bike is situated in such a place that it will be out of the way for whatever period it might take him to get your order filled. 

Archived