Front suspension skewed after new seals and bushings job.

cbluez

FRONT WHEEL ALIGNMENT PROBLEM...As you may or may not know, I recently (april) bought a 99 800...I've had a lot of bikes in 53 years, and Love it!..A week ago changed the fork seals, bushings and oil of course..It's been nasty fires and smoke since then and only had it out twice..Working great...
Yesterday took it out for a couple of hours and was riding along and noticed the Upper Triple Tree was skewed to the right when going straight..
Theres not much going straight where I live so I was surprised at this...In some 4000km I had not noticed this. Pretty sure I would have.
So yes something is definitely out of order...although strangely, the bike rides great. I've done a lot of searching and watched Delboy videos, Dave Moss and a couple of others to remedy the problem.
Unfortunately today after several hours dicking around, none of these things worked.
ANY IDEAS OUT THERE?
Two of these pics are when i first got it some 4000km ago,, and one is the skewed yoke.

fork crooked.jpg

forks2.jpg

fork1.jpg

• Member Contributer

The only way the yokes can be out of line with the wheel spindle is if the fork leg is bent.

Support the bike so forks are fully extended with tyre just touching the ground. Loosen all yoke bolts & wheel spindle. Give everything a wiggle & rotate the chrome stanchions, feel for any offsetting which would indicate a bent tube.

Tighten wheel spindle & check alignment, if still off then something is bent. 

• Member Contributer

It may be just the photo angle but it appears the leg heights are different, Right lower than Left or the Right is more forward than the Left!:wacko:

Are you sure you have set the leg heights correctly? 41mm above the bridge. 

Are the axle pinchbolts and all other bolts properly tightened?

forks2.jpg.90169258e6e4eba47c7fa47b5bdb77ce.jpg

9 hours ago, Mohawk said:

The only way the yokes can be out of line with the wheel spindle is if the fork leg is bent.

Support the bike so forks are fully extended with tyre just touching the ground. Loosen all yoke bolts & wheel spindle. Give everything a wiggle & rotate the chrome stanchions, feel for any offsetting which would indicate a bent tube.

Thanks..am  relooking at it all today

9 hours ago, Grum said:

It may be just the photo angle but it appears the leg heights are different, Right lower than Left or the Right is more forward than the Left!:wacko:

Are you sure you have set the leg heights correctly? 41mm above the bridge. 

Are the axle pinchbolts and all other bolts properly tightened?

forks2.jpg.90169258e6e4eba47c7fa47b5bdb77ce.jpg

Yes--one leg is def different than the other for some reason..all bolts were properly torqued...have to tear it down today..Very odd because everything was perfect before i took it apart.

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, cbluez said:

Yes--one leg is def different than the other for some reason..all bolts were properly torqued...have to tear it down today..Very odd because everything was perfect before i took it apart.

Very strange indeed. Its hard to believe you could actually even fit the axle in this situation!

Axle isn't bent somehow by any chance is it?

Have you checked the 41mm height above the bridge for both forks yet?

You certainly need to have this sorted ASAP. Back track with everything you've done! 

On 8/12/2021 at 12:48 AM, Mohawk said:

Thank you sir!  Forks are fine.

On 8/12/2021 at 9:21 PM, Grum said:

Very strange indeed. Its hard to believe you could actually even fit the axle in this situation!

Axle isn't bent somehow by any chance is it?

Have you checked the 41mm height above the bridge for both forks yet?

You certainly need to have this sorted ASAP. Back track with everything you've done! 

Nope--nothing is bent..I have it all together,,,It's better than it was..Finishing up the re-install, and torque wrench F****d up....thought it was odd..snapped a bolt on right caliper..lol

Just now, cbluez said:

Nope--nothing is bent..I have it all together,,,It's better than it was..Finishing up the re-install, and torque wrench F****d up....thought it was odd..snapped a bolt on right caliper..lol

Oh yes...41mm I had set it at before.

• Member Contributer

IIRC, there’s a step in the service manual to bounce the front suspension to set the axle prior to torquing pinch bolts on fork lowers. Prevents the forks from being misaligned if the axle is torqued without being set.

• Member Contributer

I still think it's a matter of the upper tree and lower tree slightly misaligned to each if you bumped the handlebars enough....  loosen the upper pinch bolts, align and retighten the pinch bolts.  Very simple to fix.

4 hours ago, raYzerman said:

I still think it's a matter of the upper tree and lower tree slightly misaligned to each if you bumped the handlebars enough....  loosen the upper pinch bolts, align and retighten the pinch bolts.  Very simple to fix.

I took it out tonight after reinstalling everything, and installing new brake pads....Was bedding in the new pads on a mountain pass...it rode great...handlebar a bit skewed still but handles great..

Archived