Fork Swap

Hi all,

Just an ask regarding the front fork possible swap, i have a 92 rc36-1 and wondered if the 94 rc36-2 forks were a straight trade as they have a preload option ?

I find that with shall we say "spirited" riding the front is too soft and dives/moves around on me, or is my option to fit stiffer springs and 10 weight oil ?

The rear is great as got a yss in there

Thanks in advance

Steve

• Member Contributer

Not sure about a straight swap, but if the are the same diameter then generally you can slot them straight in. Just check mudguard(fender) fits, discs are the same diameter so your calipers fit.  

That said, if going to the effort, if the bikes a keeper, get an 8th Gen frontend instead, or any number of other donor bikes. Better suspension, better brakes, whats not to love 👍

• Member Contributer

For starters, just get some proper springs.  Hondas are always undersprung.  Then get some RC36-2 fork caps, but you really won't need them.   But fine tuning preload would be nice.  The forks are pretty much identical other than the caps.

Bottom line, you need at least springs.

• Member Contributer

Spring replacement is simple. Just have to lift front-end, no fork-removal needed.

Really does make noticeable difference.

Thanks all,

Think i will get hold of some 36/2 top caps with the pre load screws, then upgrade the springs and use heavier weight oil and see if this helps things, dont get me wrong it feels fine at bimble speeds but push on and it turns into a soggy bottomed sponge cake !

Onwards & Upwards.......

• Member Contributer

As you’re in the UK be very careful what springs you get if you fit Emulators

Most of the replacement springs on the market here are longer than OEM and dispense with the spacer tube so you can’t accommodate the Emulators without preloading the spring more

I know this because it’s taken 3 months and counting to get hold of the correct ones for my 750FK

Emulators are going to be a simple and effective upgrade before you swap forks

• Member Contributer

Nothing needs to be "emulated", they are already cartridge forks.   I'm not saying they are amazing cartridge forks, but for most people they are very serviceable with the correct spring rate.

Just get some springs.  Additionally, with the correct springs you don't necessarily need "heavier oil".  That will slow the action down, which I don't think you'll need with correct springs.  You want to retain some compliance, especially over sharp edge bumps.

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Thumbs said:

I know this because it’s taken 3 months and counting to get hold of the correct ones for my 750FK

3 months to get what?!   

4 hours ago, Captain 80s said:

Nothing needs to be "emulated", they are already cartridge forks.   I'm not saying they are amazing cartridge forks, but for most people they are very serviceable

OH, jeez i wuz thinkin about '86 forks.............😚  i'ma dimdum

Archived