No Power to Fuel Pump 2002 Model

SimonM

My Fuel pumps works when a live feed is connected to the fuel pump relay but when the ignition is switched on the fuel pump does not prime.

Is the problem with the ECU or something else that controls the fuel pump?

• Member Contributer

Could be the Fuel Cut Relay.  It is up front next to the Headlight Relays and is the same part.  You can swap as a quick test. 

• Member Contributer

Time for some 6th Gen experts to come along then.  This is not uncommon tho.  I think there's a power wire off of the ECU that has been troublesome for some.

Good luck!

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, SimonM said:

My Fuel pumps works when a live feed is connected to the fuel pump relay but when the ignition is switched on the fuel pump does not prime.

Is the problem with the ECU or something else that controls the fuel pump?

Hi Simon.

First, can you answer these questions.

1. When you press the starter button, does your engine crank over? And with good normal cranking speed?

2. Do you have a multimeter and know how to use it?

3. Do you have a wiring diagram of your bike? The full Service Manual can be downloaded from this forum.

4. With your Sidestand down and ignition to On, Kill Switch to Run. What is the Fi light doing? Does it flash any code? Does it come On for a couple of seconds then go out, or does it remain fully on?

5. You say your fuel pump works "when a live feed is connected to the relay" can you clarify this as the Fuel Cut Relay is controlled by the ECM supplying a Ground? Or did you just supply 12v to the Fuel Pump terminals to test its operation?

Most Fuel Pump issues are not the ECM. Most common are Ground and Power problems.

The top section of this diagram shows your Fuel Pump ops.

IMG_0526.PNG

Archived