VTEC Spool Valve

natedawg

Hi, first post but hopefully some useful information for some. 

Recently had an issue with my 2011 VFR800 and it ended up being the spool valve. This was a little hard for me to diagnose from the information I could find but was easily diagnosed with the correct testing equipment through the Fi codes. 

So I was riding one day when I went to overtake a slow moving car (in the fast lane of course). I probably could have geared down atleast one gear but I wasn't planning on buzzing the tower just didn't want my current speed (100-110km/h) to be affected. So I just pulled on the throttle and she started to pull away when I felt a small loss of power and noticed the Fi light come on. The loss of power didn't seem to affect the bike that much but I definitely noticed it a second before I noticed the light. 

I pulled up and assessed the bike and it seems fine. I rode her home gently and turned her off and then back on and the light went away. 

It wasn't until I was riding it again and noticed that everytime I would rev it over 6000 rpm the Fi light would come on. 

At this stage I couldn't tell the VTEC was not operating as I was not revving it hard while riding. 

I started looking into it myself and occasionally I would get the Fi light blinking. So I counted the blinks (short ones are singles and the long blinks are lots of 10) and from my internet diagnostics I thought it may be something to do with the Maf sensor. 

So I decide to take my bike to a few local shops. I have just recently moved and I'm now a 1000km away from the bike shop I know. 

These shops have no idea, what the issue is, they literally look at me like I've asked them to split the atom.

In fairness they didn't have the testing equipment but as motorcycle mechanics in a operating motorcycle workshop I did expect a little more.

So I find a Honda workshop, it's a bit of a hike but I know my bike will run. I have now noticed it's not running particularly well (the loss of VTEC takes the fun out of riding it). 

I take it to the Honda workshop and they advise me that they have a reading of fault code 27 which they believe is the VTEC spool valve and it needs to be replaced. 

So I give them the go ahead and they order the part. It takes 10 weeks to arrive from Japan. They fit the new part and the bike rides like new again. Full power no Fi light, fantastic! 

I wasn't expecting these prices but I did check and it seems fair (I guess 😭

The genuine part was $353.41 and they charged me $480 in labour charges. 

Hopefully this helps someone out there 

• Member Contributer

Mate, you're the first person I've heard of that's had a failed VTEC spool valve. Correction make that the second person!

Did the shop give you back the old one? Did you check to see that the valve electrical connector was properly seated before handing it over to the shop?

The valve is located in the V-bank below the throttle bodies, fairly awkward to get at I guess.

Expensive valve replacement!

You can download the full Service Manual from this site, if you don't already have one. Code 27 is most certainly for the VTEC Valve and its wiring.

Glad it's working fine now.

I had a chat to my previous mechanic and he said that he had heard of them going but had never actually seen one go. 

Nah i didn't get the old one back and didn't check the electrical connector. It was a Honda workshop and Im not really in a position where it would have helped to ask for it. 

Yeh it was 6 hours labour, tank, throttle body and fairings. As you mentioned the spool valve is located in the V. 

TBH I just took their word for it and paid the bill.

Bike rides like new now so il just live with it, didn't realise how much I missed it after not being able to ride it for 3 months

• Member Contributer

It's not a fun job, but definitely one a determined DIY'er can do.  Used spool valves can be had on ebay for about $25, so it can be done economically if desired.  They're so reliable I'd be comfortable getting a used unit.  And while at it, I'd change the water neck O-rings, hoses and put in a new thermostat. 

• 2 weeks later...

I bought this bike hoping to be able to work on it in the future, so thanks for the input on being able to do it at home. 

Funny you should mention the thermostat. I read it was a good idea to change it while doing the spool valve so I asked the service adviser to make sure this happened. When I went to pick the bike up, the service adviser at the workshop had simply forgot even though I asked him on three separate occasions to make sure it got replaced during the spool valve replacement. 

When I asked him why, he said he was saving me money on a thermostat because there was nothing wrong with the one I had.

I wasn't impressed. 

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, natedawg said:

I bought this bike hoping to be able to work on it in the future, so thanks for the input on being able to do it at home. 

Funny you should mention the thermostat. I read it was a good idea to change it while doing the spool valve so I asked the service adviser to make sure this happened. When I went to pick the bike up, the service adviser at the workshop had simply forgot even though I asked him on three separate occasions to make sure it got replaced during the spool valve replacement. 

When I asked him why, he said he was saving me money on a thermostat because there was nothing wrong with the one I had.

I wasn't impressed. 

Gotta hate that when they feed you BS to cover their stuff ups.🤬

This happens all too often.

Archived