What’s this and where should it be?

Ok everyone, here’s a puzzle for you to solve. First one with the correct answer gets a warm fuzzy feeling for helping an idiot out.

I’m resurrecting my ‘92 FN, new seals; fluids; bearings etc etc. Consequently all the plastics are off and broken lugs/posts being repaired.

In order to renew the rear brake master cylinder seals I took off the right side footrest hanger and found this bit nestling between the hanger and frame.

It’s obviously dropped there but from where? It’s threaded on the inside and looks like it should sit in something and have a bolt go into it.

187D0B18-C5CF-4DC1-8158-9A622FD02F94.jpeg

0313A720-DA61-45D3-ABEC-2516FE001BA6.jpeg

71299E70-9878-4AD5-A6C8-737D278FD754.jpeg

B7308464-1998-4559-952D-306B7A6DAB23.jpeg

CB0E09EB-7204-4EB7-B6BD-9729E907021E.jpeg

Hi mate.

Its from the rear grab handle mounting point under the seat, goes on with the washer type flange uppermost, and then the grab handle/rear rack on top then the bolt, check the other side for fitting if thats still in place, it stops the rear side panel from being swashed/broken when tightening !

Tah Dah

Cheers

Steve1, you are a star. 
Thanks for that, can see plain as day where it should be now as the other one is still in place. It must’ve been loosely stuck to the side panel when I took it off.

• Member Contributer
35 minutes ago, moroseduck said:

No one got any clues for me on these bits? I'm sure it's something pretty damn obvious, but my brain is letting me down at the moment. 

3rd gens are getting pretty rare - not many owners now that would be familiar.  Those look fairly chunky - maybe something structural related to the sub frame or similar.  Mite try going to a parts fiche and looking at the exploded diagrams - could be helpful. 

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, moroseduck said:

No one got any clues for me on these bits? I'm sure it's something pretty damn obvious, but my brain is letting me down at the moment. 

Ok can I have a guess. Are they the 4ea lower fairing mounting screw collars as per this drawing?

IMG_1128.PNG

• Member Contributer
21 minutes ago, Grum said:

Ok can I have a guess. Are they the 4ea lower fairing mounting screw collars as per this drawing?

IMG_1128.PNG

Those are rubber and the screws that engage them are already shouldered.

Are the ones in the hand 6mm or 8mm holes?

• Member Contributer
6 minutes ago, Captain 80s said:

Those are rubber and the screws that engage them are already shouldered.

Are the ones in the hand 6mm or 8mm holes?

Bummer, just had a look at the cowl section for a 93 on Partzilla, yep you win, I lose, they are rubber.

• Member Contributer

They could also be the collars that hold the headlight on. In both cases the collars go through a rubber bushing, and a bolt/screw goes through the collar, thus making the item "rubber mounted".

Archived