VFR750F 1992 on E10 petrol

Hello,

Any idea if my VFR750F from 1992 European version (probably originally from Swiss) can run on a E10 petrol? Currently I'm running on E5, but UK is going to replace it with E10 soon. I wonder if I need to start switching to high octane petrol instead.

Thanks,

Hubert

• Member Contributer

Hi Hubert.

Owners manual states 10% Ethanol maximum.

However old carburetors, rubber seals etc. hate Ethanol! Not a fuel you want sitting in your tank or carburetor for long periods. Hygroscopic, corrosive, phase separation are just some of the issues with Ethanol blended fuel.

Avoid it if you can!

Hi Grum,

Thanks for the response and advice.

Looks like good times are coming for my old lady as she will be getting now 99 octane E5 🤘. Already seen that E10 shit on the petrol station.

• Member Contributer

As you’re in the UK Esso Synergy 99 is marked as 5%E but actually contains 0%

I always used BP Ultimate but after a fill up with Synergy 99 it’s got a crisper throttle response …. or maybe I just rant it more 

5 hours ago, Thumbs said:

As you’re in the UK Esso Synergy 99 is marked as 5%E but actually contains 0%

I always used BP Ultimate but after a fill up with Synergy 99 it’s got a crisper throttle response …. or maybe I just rant it more 

Hi Thumbs. Will we still be able to get 99 in UK? My other bike has a plastic tank so I am really hoping we can.

• Member Contributer
18 hours ago, Bowf said:

Hi Thumbs. Will we still be able to get 99 in UK? My other bike has a plastic tank so I am really hoping we can.

Yes, the Synergy 99 is ethanol free, although as you’re in Scotland no …. might be worth driving south and getting a Jerry can full

From the Esso website 

”Although our pumps have E5 labels on them, our Synergy Supreme+99 is actually ethanol free (except, due to technical supply reasons, in Devon, Cornwall, North Wales, North England and Scotland). Legislation requires us to place these E5 labels on pumps that dispense unleaded petrol with ‘up to 5% ethanol’, including those that contain no ethanol, which is why we display them on our Synergy Supreme+ 99 pumps.

There’s currently no requirement for renewable fuel, like ethanol, to be present in super unleaded petrol although this could change in the future, in which case we would comply with any new legislation”

• Member Contributer

So will our modern bikes run better, worse or will we not notice any difference? Any likely change to fuel consumption? If we have a choice, should we use E5 instead, even if it ends up costing more? So many questions.

Just checked the .gov.uk website.

1.jpg

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Skids said:

So will our modern bikes run better, worse or will we not notice any difference? Any likely change to fuel consumption? If we have a choice, should we use E5 instead, even if it ends up costing more? So many questions.

Just checked the .gov.uk website.

1.jpg

Hi Skids.

Well, if you are an environmentalist. Then go with the E10. The only benefit is a cleaner burn.

Even though Ethanol raises the octane you won't be able to take advantage of that unless your bike has an anti knock sensor, which actually your 1200 might have, not so the 800. Ethanol reduces the calorific value of fuel so you will burn more of it.

Then there are the other issues with Ethanol as previously mentioned.

If you've no choice or opting for Ethanol go with the lowest blend possible. Just my own thoughts and as always YMMV.

Fortunately in the state where I live Ethanol or non Ethanol fuel is an easy choice, both are readily available, so while I still can I won't go near the stuff for car or bike.

• Member Contributer

On E10 the fuel light on my RC51 would consistently come on around 160km. On Shell V-Power, BP Ultimate (E5 on the label but 0% ethanol) 190km+ every time.

Fuck the whales,

Save me!  :laugh:

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, Grum said:

Hi Skids.

Well, if you are an environmentalist. Then go with the E10. The only benefit is a cleaner burn.

Even though Ethanol raises the octane you won't be able to take advantage of that unless your bike has an anti knock sensor, which actually your 1200 might have, not so the 800. Ethanol reduces the calorific value of fuel so you will burn more of it.

Then there are the other issues with Ethanol as previously mentioned.

If you've no choice or opting for Ethanol go with the lowest blend possible. Just my own thoughts and as always YMMV.

Fortunately in the state where I live Ethanol or non Ethanol fuel is an easy choice, both are readily available, so while I still can I won't go near the stuff for car or bike.

Around here non-ethanol is available, but it's not everywhere,  one really has  to look for it. And the cost is significantly higher. It can be anywhere ftom 25% to even 50% more. My general rule is that if it has 4 wheels it gets E10  otherwise pure gas. 

The only thing with running E10 is that you will most likely have to rebuild your carburetors after a couple years. Where I live in the US my only options are a couple gas stations in areas I never go to and I would burn a gallon each way to get to.

If you want to get ahead of things a seal kit from LiteTek will solve the issue. The use viton for anything in contact with fuel. Viton handles ethanol very well.

Archived