Aftermarket levers?

Sparkie

Well, I dropped my bike, and need a new clutch lever.  I'm not able to find anything oem locally.  Anyone have any advice on fitting aftermarket levers?  

• Member Contributer

I definitely like the Pazzo shorties on my VFR. At the other extreme I recently tried a set of no-name ebay shorties on my 690 Duke, just out of curiosity, and they aren't quite as nice, but they're like 90% quality at 20% of the price.

Fitment was easy in both cases. EASY. Like, pull the package out of the mailbox, walk into the garage and fit them in a matter of minutes...

25 minutes ago, Marvelicious said:

I definitely like the Pazzo shorties on my VFR. At the other extreme I recently tried a set of no-name ebay shorties on my 690 Duke, just out of curiosity, and they aren't quite as nice, but they're like 90% quality at 20% of the price.

Fitment was easy in both cases. EASY. Like, pull the package out of the mailbox, walk into the garage and fit them in a matter of minutes...

Thanks for the reply.  They really just dropped in?  The parts websites and parts counter people I talked to today all seemed to think that most aftermarket levers would not fit my bike.  Is it the same part for your sixth gen and my 8th gen?

+1 on the Pazzo levers.  I had the standard length levers on my 6th gen. for years and loved them.  Pazzo pricing is fair, the fit and finish is terrific, and they are more adjustable than most OEM levers.  Plus they look great and you can get them in a variety of colors for the levers themselves and the adjusters.  I don't know about the 8th gen. levers, but they did swap in easily on my 6th gen.

If I remember correctly, I bought a replacement clutch lever after a drop bent or broke the OEM lever.  That non-OEM lever worked fine, but was a little different and wouldn't allow me to start the bike in gear like the OEM lever did.  That's when I bought and installed the Pazzos, which did work properly in that regard.

By the way, I kept a set of spare levers in the emergency kit I took on long rides and trips, just in case I broke a lever while far from home.  (I've done the same with my current motorcycle, as I've upgraded to Puig levers, another solid choice that doesn't break the bank.  I'd have bought Pazzos again but they aren't available for my model/year bike.)  I'm not saying buy two sets of expensive levers, but maybe one good set and a cheap but decent set for backups.  😉  

• Member Contributer

I have no-names on both of my bikes.  They look and work great.  You can adjust the clutch lever far enough that it won't engage the switch that lets you start in gear.  Don't let that startle you if you go with any adjustable type.  

• Member Contributer

I got these six months ago for $32 and they work great.  Pivot up in case of a drop, adjustable, and are more comfortable than stock.  Reduced travel and a beefier lever for my size medium hands equals less clutch fatigue on me.  The clutch lever won’t actuate the clutch signal switch if it’s adjusted all the way “in” like I wanted, but it’s one or two clicks out of six from it and good enough.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0837FWWKY/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_7J7XZE0QJZYH17SW3YW9?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

• Member Contributer

Sad to see your beautiful 8gen sleeping like that! What made it fall? Are you on a downhill slope and the bike rolled forward off the side stand? Strong wind gusts?

Hope there's no other damage than the clutch lever.

If you're not going with OEM to only replace the clutch lever, and you're going aftermarket to replace both clutch and brake then make sure they are compatible to the 8gen. Important that both Brake and Clutch switches operate normally.

I've ordered a oem clutch lever.  Should be here Monday.  I'm not going the aftermarket route.

I backed it out of my garage, put down the kickstand, leaned it over, and the kickstand didn't hold it.  I definitely had the kickstand down.  I replayed the video wondering if I just forget, but I didn't.  It just sprung back up when it touched the ground.   Driveway is fairly level.  No damage besides scratches on my pannier, and a small scratch on the fairing to the side of the headlight.  I got super lucky!  I can vinyl wrap the panniers later, or if I can replace just the outer shell that would be great.  Maybe someone has an extra left side case they would part with?  Btw, the pannier did an excellent job of preventing both the bike and I from being damaged.  🙂

16276011634282770562476196925747.jpg

• Member Contributer

Man, that is hard to look at! Glad you seem to have a good sense of humor/karma about you.

Dropped my 4th gen for the first time this past May in my driveway. My homemade sliders saved the plastic. Found out though I could not lift it by myself and had to go get a floor jack.

Positioned the jack and had to figure out how to lift the bike enough to get it under the slider so I did not damage anything. Close your eyes and imagine a monkey and a football, because that's about what it looked like.

11 years ago I dumped my VF1000R on a gravel road in Arizona (don't ask) and managed to pick it up and be on my way. Kind of hard to realize I'm not the guy who can pick up his own bike anymore.

If you ride enough, you're bound to have mishaps sometimes.  I've put 40,000 miles on it in the last 4 years.  Cross country four times, dozens of heavily loaded camping trips, ride it in gravel and on suitable off-road trails.  I've had it on the tail of the dragon and up pike's peak.  If the worst thing that happens is a tip over in my own driveway, a scratch on the fairing, a forty dollar clutch lever replacement, and a scratched up pannier, it seems like a small deal.  I'll be heading out Tuesday for a week of riding and camping at red river gorge, KY.  🙂

These Pazzo knockofs slipped right in and work great. They fold up in the event of dropping to prevent breaking. It's best to send a message detailing exactly what style and color combo you want.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/7-Style-Levers-For-Honda-VFR800-F-2002-2020-CBF1000-2006-2009-Clutch-Brake-CNC-/254290622902?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

20210629_174629.jpg

20210629_174610.jpg

20210629_174635.jpg

• Member Contributer
23 hours ago, Sparkie said:

Thanks for the reply.  They really just dropped in?  The parts websites and parts counter people I talked to today all seemed to think that most aftermarket levers would not fit my bike.  Is it the same part for your sixth gen and my 8th gen?

Were the counter people trying to convince you to wait for the OEM parts?

I don't know about interchange with 8th gen, but my experience has been that it's a super easy job on both the bikes I own. A non-mechanical friend has done Pazzo and Puig levers on a couple of his bikes and had the same experience. His only complaint was that Puig took forever to ship the levers, but this was mid 2020, so Covid was a factor. Basically, if the company that makes the levers says they'll fit your bike, they probably will, or they wouldn't stay in business long (ebay mystery sellers excepted).

Sorry to hear about the side-stand failure. Hell of a way to start a ride.

Even simple tip overs can turn complicated, I’ve seen clip-ons snap leaving riders stranded…..  I haven’t changed levers on my current 5th Gen but have in the past on other bikes. I like short and if available a “mid-length”.

Reading this thread, maybe it’ll push me along to pick up a set. Thanks guys! 

On 7/29/2021 at 5:15 PM, ShipFixer said:

I got these six months ago for $32 and they work great.  Pivot up in case of a drop, adjustable, and are more comfortable than stock.  Reduced travel and a beefier lever for my size medium hands equals less clutch fatigue on me.  The clutch lever won’t actuate the clutch signal switch if it’s adjusted all the way “in” like I wanted, but it’s one or two clicks out of six from it and good enough.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0837FWWKY/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_7J7XZE0QJZYH17SW3YW9?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I picked up a set of these and threw them on last night.  Rode for a couple hours today.  They are OK for the money.   They work well, but they feel a little flimsy.  As a science experiment, they are a success, as I find that I like the shorter lever and ease of adjustment.   Just need to find something a little higher quality long term.   Free returns, so if I had hated them, it would have been an easy out.   

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, thestumper said:

I picked up a set of these and threw them on last night.  Rode for a couple hours today.  They are OK for the money.   They work well, but they feel a little flimsy.  As a science experiment, they are a success, as I find that I like the shorter lever and ease of adjustment.   Just need to find something a little higher quality long term.   Free returns, so if I had hated them, it would have been an easy out.   

I had to tighten up all the joints on mine a bit.  They flex a tiny bit at the joints but I don’t really notice when I’m riding.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, thestumper said:

They sure look very nice. As a "science experiment" have you checked that they properly activate both brake and clutch switches?

14 hours ago, Grum said:

They sure look very nice. As a "science experiment" have you checked that they properly activate both brake and clutch switches?

They worked well enough for 200+ miles yesterday 🙂  

• Member Contributer
24 minutes ago, thestumper said:

They worked well enough for 200+ miles yesterday 🙂  

Just saying that some non oem levers don't operate the clutch switch. This can mean your in gear starts and the 200 rpm increase launch assist when releasing the clutch won't work!

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, Grum said:

Just saying that some non oem levers don't operate the clutch switch. This can mean your in gear starts and the 200 rpm increase launch assist when releasing the clutch won't work!

Correct!

I have had to change back to OEM clutch lever on my 800X as the Chinese knock offs have stopped making the connection for this.

I may try some Chinese CNC next - these work well enough - I spun it around the neighborhood a few times to make sure that everything was working as expected.   I'll ride a couple hundred more tomorrow.   These just don't "feel" good.   I just want something that "feels" more substantial, but I'm cheap so I'm trying to avoid ~$200 levers.   I probably shouldn't - buy once cry once...  but I just can't help myself.  I'll likely end up being $275 into this before it's all over 😂

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, thestumper said:

I spun it around the neighborhood a few times to make sure that everything was working as expected.   I'll ride a couple hundred more tomorrow

Yeah that's great.  But can you start your bike in gear with the clutch pulled in, with the new levers is the question? Really important function to know that its working!

On 8/7/2021 at 6:36 PM, Grum said:

Yeah that's great.  But can you start your bike in gear with the clutch pulled in, with the new levers is the question? Really important function to know that its working!

No issues with that.   I was pretty paranoid after the install, so I tried to account for every situation.   Second ride was good - I definitely like them in terms of function.  Just wish they were slightly higher quality overall, but they appear to work flawlessly.   I guess for $30 bucks you can't ask for much more....

Archived