VF1000R valve cover refurbish

Ronsk

• Member Contributer

Starting to look at reassembling the VF1000R. The alloy valve covers are quite a bit worse for wear. Any suggestions on the best way to refurbish them?

• Member Contributer

Am I mistaken or did those come from the factory polished and clear coated?  If you don't mind the tedious process of polishing and have the right buffing tools, you could strip off the clearcoat and start over.  When I restored my '84 VF1000F, I media blasted them clean, then shot a coat of chrome base powder and after curing, I PC'd with a final top coat of high gloss clear.  They came out nice and will stay looking that way for a long time.

• Member Contributer
On 8/3/2021 at 12:48 AM, tomk1960 said:

Am I mistaken or did those come from the factory polished and clear coated?  If you don't mind the tedious process of polishing and have the right buffing tools, you could strip off the clearcoat and start over.  When I restored my '84 VF1000F, I media blasted them clean, then shot a coat of chrome base powder and after curing, I PC'd with a final top coat of high gloss clear.  They came out nice and will stay looking that way for a long time.

I am pretty sure that they were factory polished and clear coated. I had VF1000F in the late eighties. I have tried mothers on them to no effect. I suspect the remnants of clear coat is the problem..

• Member Contributer
13 hours ago, Ronsk said:

I am pretty sure that they were factory polished and clear coated. I had VF1000F in the late eighties. I have tried mothers on them to no effect. I suspect the remnants of clear coat is the problem..

Try using some paint stripper.  That clearcoat is ancient and should come off pretty easily.  Then you can polish to your liking.

Archived