Random photo thread - anything goes - post what you've got

• Member Contributer

My first track day in about 10 years (won't wait that long again!) - 8/2/21, Palmer Motorsports Park outside of Boston, 02 VFR

Tire is a Dunlop Q3+, highly recommended

PXL_20210803_123611373.jpg

• Like 3

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, DannoXYZ said:

Bike I had back in 90s...

DucatiGoldenGate.jpg

Love the 12 gauge exhausts on those . . . pure sex. 

• Member Contributer

Here's another local "off the beaten path" attraction.  There are roughly 50+ covered bridges within a 90 minute radius mostly dating to the late 19th or early 20th century.  Apparently there are a number of basic designs for the trusses but the common thread to them all is that the shed built over the truss protects the wood from moisture prolonging its life.  In one photo the bridge is being renovated - eventually the support beams do degrade covered or not and must be replaced.  Some I believe are designated historic landmarks.  A few years back a local group I ride with organized a "covered bridge ride" and we took in about 15 on a Saturday.  Note in the last photo someone decided to see if they could lay rubber with both rear tires . . . they succeeded. 

DSC06103.JPG

DSC06131.JPG

DSC06120.JPG

DSC06134.JPG

DSC06144.JPG

DSC06141.JPG

• Like 4

• Member Contributer

Wow, they actually let you walk on bridges under construction like that?@!#

No way in CA, they'd have it block off for miles on either side! So many regulations "for our own good"!

• Member Contributer

What's life without a little risk?  That is one of the rider's then girlfriend / now wife.  She didn't think too much of it - just walked right out there and back. 

Not to make this a discussion about covered bridges, but there are quite a few left in Ohio, including 3-4 along Ohio Route 26 between Marietta and Woodsfield in SE Ohio.  I did a group ride years ago where visiting those bridges was the point of the ride.  These days I'm sometimes tempted to stop and take a few photos of those bridges, but the road is so good I hate to interrupt the ride!

I took this photo a couple weekends ago.  This is the Harpersfield Covered Bridge, near Geneva (in NE Ohio), just off Route 534.  At 228' in length, it's the third longest covered bridge in the state.

Harpersfield bridge.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I was always curious about the NT/ Deauville after seeing them on the roads when visiting the UK.   Found this one three years ago and had to have it because I’m a sucker for euro Honda’s.   

F114A61D-D149-4CBA-BC78-E4C6FE3E50F0.jpeg

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Talk about random - I went on a ride over the weekend (more photos to follow) and saw this aircraft parked.  Even before I came closer I suspected I knew what it was and what NASA used it for for almost a half century.  When I returned home I ran the tail number (blotted out here - I'll supply that later) to find out my suspicions were confirmed.  You have to be a NASA geek like me to know what its mission was.   A small hint might be on the engine shown - it's clearly missing a part of it that was integral to it executing its mission.  Another hint might be that it's mission was other than shuttling NASA VIP's around.   Anyone know what this is? 

508501750_Whatisit.thumb.jpg.886456b215cbfa12e316898af2db8788.jpg

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

OMG! Is that the X9712 all-electric jet that beat Tesla to market ???

Looks like Gulfstream III ?

Maybe has something to do with quieter gentler plane… Although landing gear doesn’t look like it…

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Cogswell said:

Talk about random - I went on a ride over the weekend (more photos to follow) and saw this aircraft parked.  Even before I came closer I suspected I knew what it was and what NASA used it for for almost a half century.  When I returned home I ran the tail number (blotted out here - I'll supply that later) to find out my suspicions were confirmed.  You have to be a NASA geek like me to know what its mission was.   A small hint might be on the engine shown - it's clearly missing a part of it that was integral to it executing its mission.  Another hint might be that it's mission was other than shuttling NASA VIP's around.   Anyone know what this is? 

508501750_Whatisit.thumb.jpg.886456b215cbfa12e316898af2db8788.jpg

Thrust reversers are removed. Is it a Space Shuttle landing simulator/training aircraft?

• Like 2

That is Evergreen Museum's Gulfstream II Shuttle Training Aircraft.  They keep it outside and use it constantly in fundraiser aircraft "pulls" for Special Olympics and other organizations.  

Let me know when you're headed out there again and I can get you in the museum and on the deck of the Spruce Goose for a VIP tour thing for free.  (I bought a membership awhile ago that includes that option).  

• Like 2

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Grum said:

Thrust reversers are removed. Is it a Space Shuttle landing simulator/training aircraft?

Yes, sir!  NASA's term for it is "Shuttle Training Aircraft" (STA).  It's a modified G II (honorable mention to Danno for correctly identifying the make).  It has several mods to make it able to fly the speed and glide slope of the orbiters.  That was part of the hint about the missing thrust reverser (the other side was still in place) - the lockouts were disabled so that they could be deployed in flight.  Also, the main landing gear could be extended without the nose gear (photo, below) to increase drag to simulate the orbiter's life to drag ratio.  The commander's left side cockpit was changed to CRT displays, a joystick control and a heads up display similar to the Shuttle while the right seat retained the stock Gulfstream configuration.  They apparently had 4 of these with a 5th that was very similar but not exactly the same.  They often / always? flew simulated approaches prior to launch to assess winds, visibility etc should an RTLS abort be needed (which fortunately never was!).   Almost certainly every commander / pilot that flew the orbiters practiced in these planes.  I wish this thing could talk - I'm sure it has many stories to tell.  It's now housed at the Evergreen Museum in McMinnville, Oregon - about 30 minutes from home.  More on that (and photos), later.  Well done, Grum! 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shuttle_Training_Aircraft

Photo showing tail number

1200262664_20210912_140549II.thumb.jpg.87cccaee23e870735416ee28595b812e.jpg

Photo of it in flight

image.png

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
On 8/18/2021 at 5:46 PM, Cogswell said:

There are roughly 50+ covered bridges within a 90 minute radius...

I hadn't noticed this thread and think its a great idea. When I saw this post about Oregon's covered bridges I dug up these shots from my first bike trip to the USA back in 1993. I'd only bought this low miles '91 VFR750 a few months earlier. Little did I know it's be the first of a nearly three decade string of trips to the US west, usually including a visit to Laguna Seca. 

Anyhow, the first photo is of Crawfordsville bridge near Sweet Home, Oregon, and the second shows some really large kites on the beach at Lincoln City, Oregon.

Crawfordsville bridge, Oregon 1993.jpg

Lincoln City, Oregon kites 1993.jpg

Edited by Lorne
added space between the photos
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, slo1 said:

Many moons ago.

Have not been back since then....

I was hoping to get there this year, either during the VFRD Spring Memorial event or on a solo tour, but I only made it as far south as Kentucky and Virginia this year.  Hopefully next year!