VF 500 F2 for track use

UglyMotors

Hello guys!

I've found some time to introduce You to my track bike which is Honda VF500 F2 from 1985. Just a year older than me;)

Because I build custom motorcycles I've swapped the frond and rear (whole) from Honda VTR 1000 Firestorm from 2000.

Mod was made mainly because of poor tire choice for the track with original setup. 

Front was straight forward. Plug and play really with only clock's subframe re-weld for wider forks.

Rear was ultra hard:) I've welded and machined almost everything in VTR swingarm. Plus I had to make new pro-link triangles for CBR sc59 shock.

Take a look on those photos.

2064873035_2021-07-1813_26_07.jpg

2021-06-19 12.50.34.jpg

2021-06-19 12.50.34-1.jpg

2021-06-19 12.50.35.jpg

2021-07-18 14.03.13-2.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Member Contributer

As a former 2 time Class Champion on a VF500F, I like it!!   Very cool.  

What shock?

Good job.  How many spare engines do you have?  🙂

I didn't have really any mods when I built mine, just properly set up.  Tarozzi rear sets with CBR900RR controls, Telefix clip-ons, Fox TC shock and Race Tech GV Emulators with proper springs.  My class had CBR600, FZR600, even a RZ500.

17 minutes ago, Captain 80s said:

My class had CBR600, FZR600, even a RZ500.

Wow that's a tough class!

I'm focused on learning to ride that's why I choose cool and not so fast bike. 

Shock is SC59 CBR1000rr - it has got lower (150NM) spring compared to 180NM original one and it feels soft on rear but going back to my experience, I think I'll not complain on bike rather on my skills on my first ride on track. Which is this Thursday. 

What's with the engines :)? they are pretty cheap here in Poland only IF VF500 Magna are the same engines. Because VF 500 F2 are a rare!

Cheers!

• Member Contributer
12 minutes ago, UglyMotors said:

Wow that's a tough class!

I'm focused on learning to ride that's why I choose cool and not so fast bike. 

Shock is SC59 CBR1000rr - it has got lower (150NM) spring compared to 180NM original one and it feels soft on rear but going back to my experience, I think I'll not complain on bike rather on my skills on my first ride on track. Which is this Thursday. 

What's with the engines :)? they are pretty cheap here in Poland only IF VF500 Magna are the same engines. Because VF 500 F2 are a rare!

Cheers!

The Magna engines are pretty much the same.  They bolt in, you just have to transfer some cooling parts.  I don't even the think the cams are that different.  And you might enjoy the mid-range more, might keep you from blowing up engines.  It's the valve float at high RPMs is what kills them.  I'd grab a couple and get them ready.

• Member Contributer

Dzien dobry from the Netherlands from a VF500F2 owner!

The F2 engine is the better choice over the F (lines bored cam journals, bigger oil sump), but if you inspected and found the cams and followers to be good -and keep an eye on them- I guess you'd be ok for racing...

The tell tale sign for a F2 engine are the head cover gasket; if the gasket is not simply straight but has half circles shapes whehe the cams are, you have an F2 engine.

PS: 

I'll be riding the Assen track this Monday

albeit on a Honda V-twin, the VTR1000-SP2.

Weather forecast is abysmal 😞

1974815402_IMG_0387(2).thumb.jpg.f755fcebf15fdf2b25ee61333ea0b5af.jpg

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Captain 80s said:

spacer.png

Re-installed the charging system and added some lights for some bike nights.

Captain, I'm drooling. The wheels, the case/coolant hose guards, the exhaust, clip-ons, and whatever you did to the clocks, just beautiful. What would you charge me to rent it for a month?  😎

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, Dutchy said:

The F2 engine is the better choice over the F (lines bored cam journals, bigger oil sump), but if you inspected and found the cams and followers to be good -and keep an eye on them- I guess you'd be ok for racing...

The tell tale sign for a F2 engine are the head cover gasket; if the gasket is not simply straight but has half circles shapes whehe the cams are, you have an F2 engine.

😞

The 1986 VF500F had those enhancements as well. You can tell from longer cams (~20mm wider), wider head to hold those cams, and wider cam-covers on head (with half-moon gaskets).

Not sure outside California or U.S.,  but '86 had milder cam-specs and engine had about 2-3bhp less output.  Smaller carbs too.

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, DannoXYZ said:

The 1986 VF500F had those enhancements as well. You can tell from longer cams (~20mm wider), wider head to hold those cams, and wider cam-covers on head (with half-moon gaskets).

Not sure outside California or U.S.,  but '86 had milder cam-specs and engine had about 2-3bhp less output.  Smaller carbs too.

Ah! you are right of course.

I ASSumed the 86's sold in the Netherlands were all F2.......

Guys you are PRO’s I’ll be more than happy to ask you for advice when it comes to replacing the engine:) now let’s hope motul 7100 won’t let the cams to go bananas. Also I’ll be happy to join some track days if you ride somewhat closer to Poland. Keep me posted!

• Member Contributer

I've had my VF500F since '86. As ignorant teenager, I abused it with whatever cheapo oil was on sale. About 15-yrs later I learned my lessons and have used Mobil-1 ever since. 

It's got 40k-miles on it valvetrain still looks brand-new. Have to stay on top of checking valve-clearances. A lot of failures reported are due to maintenance issues.

• Member Contributer

All my Hondas run on Motul 5100.

Yes, even the Castrol Honda :tongue:

20210722_101538.thumb.jpg.9f1a0226736e6c78d86d1b42b5ecfb01.jpg