Replace starter

DL98VFR

Hello to all, have looked around VFRD for info but not yet found it; pretty sure I must be missing it cuz this must be a common problem.  Looking for advice on a replacement starter (and O-ring) for my ‘98 VFR; OEM or a suggested source?  Thank you  and apologies if I missed a dozen or so threads…

You can still buy new ones for the 1999-2009 models, just get ready to drain your wallet.  Not sure why the 1998 has a different part number than all the other 5th and 6th gen years, I can't imagine they changed the engine case enough that the newer part won't fit.  Looks like used ones are cheap on ebay, so its worth the chance of getting a bad one.  It doesn't sound like starter motors on VFR's are prone to failure, so the used ones are probably fine.

Thanks comrade, yeah, OEM is $400+ and no longer available; only found one aftermarket on eBay for $47; just bought it before seeing your response, description said for ‘98-‘01 models, had no idea of unique-to-‘98 issue you mentioned, hope it fits!  Thanks again 

David

Archived