Greetings from South Texas

Hello everyone, relatively new rider here (2.5 years experience) and new VFR owner. I picked up my 2007 red VFR about a month ago to add as a second bike to my stable (current bike is an '07 SV650N), so far I've been having a blast! Picked her up with ~11,000 mi.

Things I did immediately:

- New Michelin Road 5s

- Oil change

- Clutch fluid change/clean clutch fluid reservoir

- New K&N air filter

- Throttle cable adjustment

What I plan on doing:

- Install a RapidBike racing module.

- Install a full exhaust system.

- It's red and sexy as hell. Looks "From the future" as my uncle put it.

- It's fast.

- ABS.

- It's incredibly smooth on the highway. Feels like you're effortlessly flying along.

- I love the VTEC power boost and its sound.

- It's comfortable yet very sporty. Can also maintain comfortable tuck behind the windscreen.

Dislikes:

- Performance seems to go to shit in very hot weather.

- Jerkiness at low RPM constant throttle inputs sometimes. Sometimes it works great and holds steady without issue!

- If I open up the throttle, the bike will sometimes take forever to accelerate. (It will still accelerate, you can just tell that it's very noticeably slower than when it works properly). This happens at high RPMs and low RPMs.

- Very inconsistent fueling/acceleration. Say I'm at 4K RPM and I open it up. It will accelerate slowly until about 5K or so, have a huge burst in power/acceleration, then ANOTHER burst of power when the VTEC kicks in at 6,400 - 6,600 RPM (as expected for the VTEC). Wtf is going on here? 

- At high RPMs, I will sometimes hit a wall and stop accelerating, even though I still have a few thousand RPMs till redline.

- It is a bit heavy. I'd like to shave the weight down.

Here is a pic from the day I bought it... Even came with a Sargent seat!

IMG_1821.thumb.jpg.e02aeed8086a8e0af11dfa0d64ee5ed6.jpg

Hope everyone is having a great day.

• Member Contributer

You also have ABS.  Nice find.  Do a search for the dyno graph for a stock 6th gen. It's not a straight line pre VTEC engagement, and like most engines,  the rate of increase in power drops off before redline much like a jet's rate of increase in altitude drops off as it nears cruise. That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it, it just doesn't give you a lot more bang for the buck beyond 10,000 rpm.  It gives some more power,  but smaller amounts per thousand rpm and eventually tails off.

Which Rapid Bike module did you get,  Evo or Racing?  They have a good tune out of the box, I'm surprised its giving you problems.

Nice bike!😜

The rapid bike should help a ton with the throttle issues. Do a throttle sync or have it done. Make sure there isn't slack in the throttle cables. I've had three 6th gens and wonder how anybody rode them before I got them. I guess if you're used to it or don't think to check it. They can be miserable to ride a parking lot speeds until you've sorted it.

• Member Contributer

Ah - rereading this,  I see you're planning on the Rapid Bike. Once installed it should clear up most of your complaints except top end power.  Evo or Racing are fine - however racing allows for timing adjustment, more possibilities. 

Since you did the clutch fluid you'll also want to stay on to of the brake fluid.  Sticky calipers are one thing,  gunked up ABS modules entirely another.  There is an excellent brake bleeding guide pinned in the maintenance forum. In or near the last post I added detail about bleeding the secondary master cylinder and proprtioning control valve.  

As for losing weight,  if there's ever another batch of headers made here,  that and a set of aftetmarket cans should drop about 12 pounds (the stock exhaust cans are surprisingly heavy), and a lithium battery some more.  Don't forget a workout program - rider weight counts,  too!  

13 hours ago, VifferJ said:

Congrats and welcome, she's a beaut, great color! 

Thank you! I like this shade of red but I'm also a fan of bright Italian Ducati red >:)

13 hours ago, Cogswell said:

You also have ABS.  Nice find.  Do a search for the dyno graph for a stock 6th gen. It's not a straight line pre VTEC engagement, and like most engines,  the rate of increase in power drops off before redline much like a jet's rate of increase in altitude drops off as it nears cruise. That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it, it just doesn't give you a lot more bang for the buck beyond 10,000 rpm.  It gives some more power,  but smaller amounts per thousand rpm and eventually tails off.

Which Rapid Bike module did you get,  Evo or Racing?  They have a good tune out of the box, I'm surprised its giving you problems.

Yes! The ABS is wonderful to have on the streets.

Unfortunately, I have not yet purchased the RapidBike module or the exhaust until finances allow. I was planning on the racing module for ignition timing adjustment (and other cool stuff) and probably a Delkevic full exhaust if there are no other options available. I saw the custom forum headers but I think they are out of production now?

I understand that power drops off in that high range of the RPMs, however something clearly seems off about this bike and I know these models are notorious for their odd stock fueling from what I've read. What I mean is, sometimes the bike will not smoothly accelerate as you would expect it to, even at optimal powerband RPMs (and well into the VTEC range). It will feel like it's choked up, and then suddenly it will kick back to full power as you would expect. Please note I am not talking about the VTEC activation point, as my VTEC seems to kick on/off smoothly for the most part.

Maybe I'm still getting used to it (I've been riding it almost every day for several weeks and leaving my SV650 alone), but my SV650 operates very smoothly ALL of the time whereas my VFR operates erratically quite often. It does however seem to accelerate smoothly as expected when it’s first warming up to temp.

12 hours ago, Sweeper said:

Nice bike!😜

The rapid bike should help a ton with the throttle issues. Do a throttle sync or have it done. Make sure there isn't slack in the throttle cables. I've had three 6th gens and wonder how anybody rode them before I got them. I guess if you're used to it or don't think to check it. They can be miserable to ride a parking lot speeds until you've sorted it.

Agreed, I can't wait for the rapid bike haha. Hopefully it sorts everything out as good as everyone says! I did adjust my throttle cable slack which helped a lot. I have not done a throttle/startervalve sync yet but it is on my radar and I've been doing research...

• Member Contributer
On 7/22/2021 at 9:32 PM, CornPoweredV4 said:

H

- It is a bit heavy. I'd like to shave the weight down.

So you're heading for the gymn when? :laugh:

Welcome to VFRD from across the pond! :beer:

Archived