Thinking seriously about going to THE DARK SIDE

• Member Contributer

Due to back pain, and discomfort on VFR's, I found a buyer for my 8th gen. and turned it loose.  After about 6 months of being bike-less, I have the urge again. 

I just am not able to ride all day on a VFR (have had three of them) any longer like I could in several TMAC's.  Back in the day I could make them go in Western NC at a pretty good clip.  Pain is the reason I haven't been attending TMAC for a long time.  The only cure for that is a new (don't like other people's problems) Goldwing without the rear seat (I don't do two up).  Due to a friend raving about it, I want the DCT tranny.  That tells you what a pussy I've become.  I really do want to just be able to jump on something and ride all day like I used to, have a beer, eat, and hit the bed, rinse and repeat.  A few of you might remember me from TMAC rides several years ago when we stayed at the Franklin Motel (gone but not forgotten).  That was when we reserved and filled the entire place before it was literally bulldozed and hauled off. 

Anyway, question......yes, Goldwings are hard to find and dealers don't want to deal.  Question:  Where to go?  Anyone have any suggestions as I shop? 

Thanks,  Bent

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Bent said:

Due to back pain, and discomfort on VFR's, I found a buyer for my 8th gen. and turned it loose.  After about 6 months of being bike-less, I have the urge again. 

I just am not able to ride all day on a VFR (have had three of them) any longer like I could in several TMAC's.  Back in the day I could make them go in Western NC at a pretty good clip.  Pain is the reason I haven't been attending TMAC for a long time.  The only cure for that is a new (don't like other people's problems) Goldwing without the rear seat (I don't do two up).  Due to a friend raving about it, I want the DCT tranny.  That tells you what a pussy I've become.  I really do want to just be able to jump on something and ride all day like I used to, have a beer, eat, and hit the bed, rinse and repeat. 

Bent, you're no pussy, you just want to keep riding. Buy the bike that allows you to do that!

In the back of my mind there is a Can Am in my (hopefully distant) future, when I no longer can balance or worse, when I lose that all-important confidence that I have all the skills necessary to hit the road with a helmet on. (hey, note to self: are trikes allowed at track days? Have to check...).

Can't help you with your Wing purchase but please keep us updated and, of course, post photos.

I’ve changed up before and yes, do and buy what you need and makes you happy, 100%!! After a half dozen Ducs, a beautiful MV 1090 Brutale (I miss dearly), 15’ GSA (me bucket list bike), 2 Gen 2 Hayabusas, an Indian Chieftan Deluxe (that supposed to be our “safe slow down enjoy the scenery” bike but ended in a horrible altercation with a big white tale) and currently on the ol’98 5th Gen VFR. I feel my old injuries when riding the VFR and it always has me pondering a change, yes the time is coming. What you choose though is important. I hold nothing against the Can-Am option mentioned above, my dad is on his second one and it works great for him. They can be fun and sporty, no it’s not and never will be a motorcycle but you can still have a spirited time on one. A bit more stable and comfy to boot! I’ll consider one someday but I’m not there yet. 

You have a ton of options, choose wisely. 

• Member Contributer

When I saw the thread title I thought it was going to say you were going to buy an FJR and put a car tire on the back wheel.  Now that's the dark, dark side . . .  :ph34r:

Actually, i think you'll get a lot of respect,  from me included in knowing and respecting the capabilities you now find yourself with.  Wings are no slouch - heavier, for sure,  but - they can be really hustled through corners by a capable pilot. They sometimes have the image of being grandpa's Barcalouger on wheels I think by guys that haven't ridden in years, having been taught to ride by cousin Billy Bob on a Yamaha 90 at age 15, now transporting the missus on their adventures whilst towing a trailer.  As an experienced rider you should get a lot of enjoyment out of such a machine and may well be surprised at how quick you are on it.  

I have seen some Honda Forum threads about other models with DTC that act up and have had a time setting them straight. CTX700s and some Af Twins seem to have succumbed, and even a 7th gen here a while ago. It's probably a very small number of them,  so may be blown out of proportion. Mite be worth doing some research on that before going that route.  

I bought my BMW last fall and sold my beloved 6th gen. VFR a couple months later.  The Beemer has slightly relaxed ergonomics compared to the VFR but is still pretty sporty.  The only thing I've really missed about my VFR is the factory hard bags.  But my neck and especially my knees are happier with the lower and slightly more forward footpegs on my current bike.  Getting older obviously makes us make some hard choices about our vehicles (and some hobbies), especially motorcycles.  My right knee still protests during long rides, but it is better than it was.

As others have said here, the Goldwing is no slouch.  If you're not riding 2-up and if you don't need all the luggage/storage, you might consider the F6B (aka Bagger) or F6B Deluxe version, which looks a little cooler since it doesn't have the top trunk.  Should weight just a little less and have a slightly lower center of gravity when you're carving corners.  A friend of mine here in Ohio has an F6B with the DCT and he really likes it.  Dude does a ton of riding, too -- and he keeps a full-blown Goldwing at his other home in Florida.

I just did a quick search on CycleTrader and found six pages of F6Bs, some new but many used.  Some, especially the newer ones, are sure to have the DCT.  Good luck if the Goldwing is the route you decide to go!

• Member Contributer

The new Wing is pretty cool, we have a 2018 6 speed manual for 2up touring, my wife won't ride on the back of sport bikes anymore, lot's of cool tech on it and comfort for all day riding is great. Happy hunting! :fing02::fing02:

thumbnail_IMG_1035.jpg?width=960&height=

• Member Contributer

Bent, any ride is a good ride compared to a drive....

I'm beginning to consider letting my RC51 go.

One more/last trackday this monday @Assen..

And one can always dream...

IMG-20210708-WA0020.jpg.4aa0a7fa01492949fe5327e31f8cd617.jpg

12 hours ago, Dutchy said:

Bent, any ride is a good ride compared to a drive....

I'm beginning to consider letting my RC51 go.

One more/last trackday this monday @Assen..

And one can always dream...

IMG-20210708-WA0020.jpg.4aa0a7fa01492949fe5327e31f8cd617.jpg

Say it ain't so!

I've been riding my CB500X a lot more than my VFR the last two years. I still enjoy the VFR for mountain riding but anything else and the lighter bike is just more fun. I've just put slightly lower bars on it in an attempt to take some pressure off my spine. Get old is no joke! I'm still hanging with the TMAC crowd and ask them on a regular basis to please tell me when I need to stop coming. 😛

If Honda would bring the big 750 ADV scooter to the states, I'd have one now.

Good luck with the hunt Jim.

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, VifferJ said:

I'm not sure your location or search grid but this low mile 2018 used DCT just posted in the Seattle area, good looking bike IMO.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/mcd/d/federal-way-honda-gold-wing-dct/7354081335.html

The built in Nav and cruise would sure be nice to have. 

• Member Contributer

I would need to win the lottery to be able to afford a new DCT Goldwing but it looks a fabulous thing, do not like the grey/mud whatever the hell it is called colour though

Archived