Slip on

PedalHead

OEM exhaust on my 2017 model has a hole in the tapered section after the collector box and sods law it's only a week away from the MOT. I'll need to replace so looking for something that is road legal, compatible with OEM panniers and doesn't require remapping, type approval for Europe would be a bonus but not a prerequisite. Akrapovic is more than I want to pay so looking at SC Project & Delkavic. The SC has the added bonus of EU type approval but comes with added taxes for import, Delkavic titanium is quite nice but comes with UK approvals only. Anyone any other recommendations?

• Member Contributer

This is off topic,  but I tend to forget how lucky I am . . . my bike would flunk any inspection if they gave it one. Europe seems to have the toughest restrictions on what you can and can't do I can recall seeing.  I hope you find something to your liking.  

• Member Contributer

Amazing! I can't believe that a 2017 OEM exhaust would have a hole in it! Do you do a lot of short distance runs?

Here's how the Arrow exhaust looks and it definitely is compatible with the OEM Panniers. Also has a removable noise reducing baffle.

PA270408.JPG

• Member Contributer
59 minutes ago, Cogswell said:

This is off topic,  but I tend to forget how lucky I am . . . my bike would flunk any inspection if they gave it one. Europe seems to have the toughest restrictions on what you can and can't do I can recall seeing.  I hope you find something to your liking.  

Great point. When I moved to CA I assumed that DMV inspection and compliance for motorcycles would be incredibly tough. Instead there is nothing! Not even SMOG tests, or safety inspections every few years. Much more lax than for cars.  

Apologize for hijacking the thread PedalHead.

• Member Contributer

Could the hole be tapped and closed with a plug to get through inspection?  If asked, tell them it was a repair.  Or is the point the hole is objectionable? 

New here, but might as well contribute something quasi-useful on my first post.  I just put a Delkevic carbon fiber DL10 14"on my new-to-me 2014.  Quality is good from what I can see, but it's only been on for just over 2 months and I don't ride in the wet much so I really don't know how it will hold up.   It's loud - you would likely need the included DB-killer to make it UK legal.  I'm not sure it's technically legal here 🙂   The sound unplugged is wonderful, but it attracts attention; some wanted and some not wanted.    How loud is it?  I was passing a car at speed last weekend and VTEC activated just as I was by the driver side window - the car swerved slightly and the sound bouncing off the car got my attention as well.  I'll probably put the DB-killer back in at some point - this has largely been a science experiment and I'm not in this to aggravate people including my neighbors.   Right now when I go for a ride, EVERYONE knows I'm going for a ride. 

I have not remapped and have noticed no measurable change in performance.   I suspect it would be compatible with the factory bags. 

Honestly, if I were to do it again I'd probably go Arrow.   Similar sound and a more refined look IMO.    The DL10 looks "good" - just not as classy.  The price was right on the Delkevic and that mattered to me at the time.  If you lived close to me, I'd loan you my stock exhaust to pass inspection so you had more time - it's just sitting in a corner in my garage.   Good luck!

@@Grum No short runs but I'm not the first owner, bikes done 17k mi. Someone suggested it's a drain hole & on closer inspection it seems like it's there by intent. It's a noticeable blow both by sound and feel and I'm certain that's it's not always been this way. 

IMG_20210720_150101.jpg

I just took mine off a few weeks back with around 1200 miles on it total - it has the same hole.  It's actually angled towards the bottom.   I don't think it's a flaw...

That's pretty weird in my opinion. I've never seen a purposely drilled hole in an exhaust collector from a manufacturer of any vehicle. Knucklehead,  amateur cheap mods a-plenty, but....

I like the carbon fiber Delkovic that is on my bike. I use the baffle and it's plenty quiet, yet satisfying upon aggressive"beans" application.

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, PedalHead said:

@@Grum No short runs but I'm not the first owner, bikes done 17k mi. Someone suggested it's a drain hole & on closer inspection it seems like it's there by intent. It's a noticeable blow both by sound and feel and I'm certain that's it's not always been this way.

It's a Drain Hole!!

Checked my 2014 8gen stock standard exhaust and there are two of them.

Both are at the bottom of the exhaust, and do not penetrate into the exhaust chamber, merely heat shield drains!

No need to replace or repair your exhaust!:fing02:

20210721_094009.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

going back to slip on exhausts 

I had good customer experience with delkavic that was for my vfr750 - they make one for the 800

my new VFR800fe came with a leximoto exhaust and the stock. I asked for the stock one to be fitted as it stimulated in insurance. but when policie expired found cheeper one which allowed it the leximoto was cheap and nasty in comparison to delkavic. just a bike trumpet. it sounded awesome but was too loud even with the baffle in. 

Archived