Starting issue ..loud crack sound

Hi again here we go ..right sometimes when i go to start her up there is a loud crack thump sound lower engine,and won,t start like battery dead you can hear starter click but no start lights dim..thing is battery shows over 12volts and charges over 14 volts when running.When back on charge fires up straight away,now it does,nt always do this only now and then on a fully chrged battery ,battery is i think 4 years old powerline but does hold 12.6 volts even when i crank it over and does start does,nt seem to lose much voltage...now is it battery or something to do with starter clutch or something else should i try take out starter clean lube or just leave it spins real fast when fires bike up dont really think it is a starter issue anyway...any thoughts on this will be great thanks.

• Member Contributer

Volts is one thing, cold cranking ampères (cca) another...

Have the battery load tested...

• Member Contributer

That sounds like a starter clutch engagement issue, either low amps from battery or a mechanical issue. 

• Member Contributer

The starter clutch has to be making that sound. The Visions I have are known for it. A 4yr. old battery really does need load tested just to confirm it's condition.

ok cheers for that guys what dose and what is the starter clutch and i it a big job to sort out ? i think i will look to get a good make new battery as it seems to be associated to the starting...

• Member Contributer

Starter clutch failure where it doesn't engage or centre breaks off weld to outside gear causes fast spinning starter that doesn't turn engine. If weld broke, engine would never start again.

Symptoms of lights dimming after noise would indicate that starter clutch IS engaging, but engine is not spinning and increasing load on starter. And after multiple attempts, starter does turn engine and it runs.

My bet is on leaky petcock and float valves causing hydrolock contition.

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, marco said:

ok cheers for that guys what dose and what is the starter clutch and i it a big job to sort out ? i think i will look to get a good make new battery as it seems to be associated to the starting...

It's in between your starter and crank. Engages when starter spins to turn crank. Otherwise it just passive component.

Located under right-side cover. Not that difficult.

here's thread with photos: https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/forums/topic/72141-starter-clutch/

Think it,s battery as i,ve fully charged it again and got a trickle charger connected 24/7..fires up fine now as it did before.Battery is 4 years old so about to get a new one.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived