First ride,,,,1100 miles??

Kr8nkitup

Ok, please tell me how insane it would be to pick up an 03' with 27k & ride it home 1100 miles?  Bike has fresh tires, fresh oil & filter,  shop checked charging good, oh  also chain/ sprockets good condition.   However that is all I know about the bike.  Only considering because it sounds like a Fun adventure & why the heck not? Lol

Seriously I know that these models have known electrical issues, also I saw a post that showed that model had a wiring harness recall, I have no idea if that has been done, also rectifier unknown if original.

Anything else I should be concerned with?  And tell me if you would take on this adventure?

• Member Contributer

It might be fine, on the other hand..... 

You should be fine.  Drink plenty of water!  🙂 

When I was bike shopping in 2019-2020, I was quite willing to fly somewhere to buy a bike and ride it home, even from 1,000+ miles away.  Like you said, it sounded like a fun adventure - and a great way to get to know my new machine!  I did end up buying a bike out of state last fall and rode it home, but it was within driving distance, so my wife and I made a nice overnight trip out of it.  We drove there Saturday, bought the new motorcycle, stayed overnight, and she drove home Sunday while I rode the new bike home.  It worked out great.

Have a great trip and ride safe!  👍

• Member Contributer

I did this when I bought my 09 ST1300. Purchased from Invercargill, rode to Christchurch on day 1, and then home to Auckland including the ferry on day 2. 

image.thumb.png.7cf85b67a0a856e53f3a342ce1b7c461.png

There were a few unknowns with the bike so as soon as I collected it, I checked tyre pressures, oil level and coolant level, and gave it a once over for any leaks. After that I just rode...

Wow, y'all have me excited about the adventure!!  Since y'all are familiar with the bike & its flaws,  anything else i should specifically check or test before hitting the road?

• Member Contributer

I might add that the recall work can be checked on line yourself using the VIN number. If a Honda dealer checked the bike over they should have run the VIN to confirm that.  

Other than that,  I'm setting out on the same vintage bike for 1,000 miles on Monday.   As mentioned above, enjoy.  

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, Kr8nkitup said:

Anything else I should be concerned with?  And tell me if you would take on this adventure?

With everything you've checked can only add. Check chain tension and tire pressures 36F 42R.

These bikes a Great on long trips, hope you get nice weather. Don't be in a rushed frame of mine, take you time, enjoy it. Safe trip home.

Cheers.:fing02:

• Member Contributer

Sounds like it's been checked over, I'd also check brake and clutch lines for any excessive aging, look for any obvious signs of coolant leaks, have brake pads been replaced? If it's been garaged it's whole life it should be fine. Ask if it's been ridden regularly or has it sat for 10 years and just been `tuned` up for sale? Maybe some close up pics of running gear, front end, etc. and a short vid of it running? If it checks out enjoy the trip!

• Member Contributer

In addition to the great suggestions above, I would ask where are you picking it up? If you're west-central NC and are 1100 miles away then east is out, south probably not unless Key West, maybe, so either north or west. Will it be all interstate?  North you will have to navigate some hairy highways (for example, if Google just says follow 95 you will be riding the Cross Bronx Expressway). 

But even if it's just I-40 from OK, be prepared. Doing 500 or 600 miles all at 70+mph amongst the semis and crazy SUV's two days in a row is a stress test for a bike (and therefore, you) that you've never laid eyes on. Best wishes, send us some travel photos of your new bike if you have a chance.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all!   Thanks for the great suggestions.  Wanted to give you an update on my adventure.   I ended up driving to pick it up with the girlfriend. I did ride her ( the bike) for a Fun 400 miles before stopping & loading bike in pickup. Everything went Great, and I love the bike!  I named her Lizzy!  Anyhow, definitely have somethings to start working on. Need mirrors ASAP, the ones on the bike are worthless. Also going to go steel braided brake & clutch lines with some new pads (rotors look good).  Any suggestions on mirrors are definitely welcome, not interested in cheap oem knock offs.  Oh if interested i was stopping for gas once I hit 1/8 tank, & that was generally 175 miles.  Seemed alittle low, but was riding 85-90mph @ 5,300rpm.   Thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!!

IMG_20210730_211015_551.jpg

Congrats on picking up your VFR and getting it home!  🙂 

If I remember correctly, some 6th gen. VFR owners installed Honda or aftermarket mirrors with built-in turn signals.  For aftermarket sets I can't remember the brand or where they sourced them, but if you do a search here I'm sure it will come up.  I kept the OEM mirrors the whole time on my 6th gen, but I did add a set of mirror extenders.  (Those were made and sold by a forum member back then, but it's been a long time.)

As for the fuel economy, that sounds about right to me, given the higher speeds.  Traveling at 60-70 mph you'll probably get closer to 200 or more miles per tank.  Like most vehicles, the higher the speed, the worse the fuel economy.  But it also looks like there's an aftermarket exhaust on your VFR.  (Staintunes?)  If there is also a Power Commander installed, it's possible there's a custom tune running on it and the bike is running rich.  Please keep in mind I said 'possible' and not likely.

Good luck with all the work on your new VFR!  👍

• Member Contributer

Congrats on the bike!

I got some Emgo mirrors that are OEM clones.  OEM or OEM style is what you want, there's a reason people put Honda mirrors on other bikes.   They sit just about where you want them, and they are pretty immune to bike vibration...not that the VFR puts out that much.

~175 miles is about right.  I have seen anything from high 30's to 46 mpg depending on what I'm doing.  38-42 mpg is normal.

Archived