2006 Abrupt Shut Down After Long Drive

ColoVFR

VFR Braintrust...2006 w/~26k miles. I rode 830 highway miles yesterday and just as I turned on to my street the engine abruptly shut down, I was able to roll it into the garage and left it for the night. It started up fine the morning and again this afternoon but I didn't take it out for a ride.

At shut down last night, I had 1/2+ tank of gas, full electrical (dash, lights, starter), although had ear plugs in and couldn't hear the fuel pump engage. The engine turned over fine but would just not start.

I always use name brand quality gasoline, although a few days prior to this last drive I did have to fill w/10% Ethanol at a Shell station in Utah.

I have more trips planned and of course would like to have confidence in the bikes performance when miles from home.

Could this be a fuel filter, fuel pump issue or an electrical gremlin...? Where should I start to analyze and eliminate?

Thanks in advance for your input or link to existing discussion, it's very much appreciated.

• Member Contributer

Check the 30A fuse next to the battery and while there that the connections to the battery are clean and tight. Also, for grins peel off the right fairing and have a look a the the connector on the stator's 3 yellow wires.  I realize you said you had good electrics and it later started - but weird things do happen . . .  If you have a multi-meter note what voltage the battery can hold while cranking for around 20 to 30 seconds.  I did that with mine a few weeks ago and it maintained 10.8v.  And if I read it right, you haven't yet confirmed that you're hearing the fuel pump prime the system when they key is turned on - or is that ok?   If it abruptly turns off that sounds more electrical than fuel system related.

• Member Contributer

Make sure your battery terminals are clean and tight. If you can run the engine measure your charging voltage at the battery.

It would be interesting to note your Fi light when this happens.

With your bike stationary and Sidestand down the ECM might flash an active code Or be fully ON. With the light fully on this can mean a loss of power to the ECM.

On a 6gen the most common electrical cause of power loss to the ECM, as Cogswell mentions is Main Fuse B 30amp. This is your main power feed for All your EFI stuff. Closely check this fuse and its inline connector and wiring for burnt and high resistance connections. See photo.

The other weak spot is the main 18P Blue connector (see photo) where your EFI power goes through to the Engine Stop Relay on the Red/white wire and returning back out through the Blue connector on the Black/white wire. Check this connector for burns or high resistance connections for these wires.

With Ignition to On operate your Kill Switch a few times, make sure you are hearing the Fuel Pump prime every time the switch is selected to RUN.

If your fault is repeatable or becomes permanent greater fault finding can be done. Just check these main things first.

Another thing to try if your bike cranks but doesn't start in Neutral is to just raise the Sidestand and try starting! Does this enable a start?

Do you have a wiring diagram or the Service Manual which can be downloaded from the forum?

Can you follow a wiring diagram and have a multimeter?

Good luck.

EF79D2E6-8E27-4F00-87F3-C99F83E6BE32.thumb.jpeg.09d26801311b53185228c34b60382593.jpeg.jpg

IMG_0591.JPG

Archived