No headlights

Yasenpen

Low beam stopped to work on an European 1998 VFR suddenly.

High beam worked, both lamps were on.

I conclude it is not the common started switch problem from that.

Few days later the high beam stopped working too.

The dashboard lights work, high beam light works.

I cleaned the lights switch, the relay clicks on every move.

The fuse is OK.

I wanted to clean the starter switch just in case, but was not able to remove throttle tube, even having read this 

Any idea what I can do next and how to remove the throttle tube?

• Member Contributer

For your dash light Hi beam light to operate means the selector switch and hi beam relay are working.

Check the voltage at the light sockets for both bulbs when hi and low are selected. Check the bulb sockets for corrosion/high resistance connections. Make sure the common Green Ground wire measures continuity back to the battery Negative terminal.

Don't laugh but make sure your bulbs haven't blown AND make sure your charging voltage is not excessively high!

• 3 months later...

Thanks, Grum, I measured 19v on the battery, it is because of the R/R defect. Both bulbs were blown, of course. Replaced R/R and bulbs, problem is solved.

The lights were blinking when I moved the switch, and it lead me to the conclusion that a bad contact is the cause.

I guess I had both problems occured at the same time.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Yasenpen said:

Thanks, Grum, I measured 19v on the battery, it is because of the R/R defect. Both bulbs were blown, of course. Replaced R/R and bulbs, problem is solved.

The lights were blinking when I moved the switch, and it lead me to the conclusion that a bad contact is the cause.

I guess I had both problems occured at the same time.

19v at the Battery! You're very lucky it didn't destroy both battery and your ECM.

Glad you have it sorted.:fing02:

• Member Contributer

Make sure you check ALL wires and ALL connectors in the bike's charging circuit.  19v for any length of time can cause a lot of damage.  It's usually not just the reg/rec and the battery that go when that happens, unfortunately.  Could also damage relays and switch contacts...  Open, clean, inspect contacts, apply dielectric grease, re-assemble. 

Ciao,

JZH

Archived