VF1000FE 1984 starter motor issue.

Ronsk

• Member Contributer

I have an issue with the starter motor on the VF1000F. The starter motor engages and starts the bike without any problems. The issue is after I release the starter button the there is a rattle noise. It a bit like the starter is not disengaging... any ideas?

Its different to the starter clutch issue I had with the 1991 VFR750F were the starter clutch does not engage. The problem is the noise after starting the bike witch last for a couple of seconds. I don't believe its the starter clutch.. but I have been wrong before.......

• Member Contributer

Make sure your starter button is disengaging properly.  Those older starter switch assemblies have a fragile start button that can stick.  I've been limping one along on a VF1000R that I have to pull out with my thumb after starting.  If I don't do it fast enough I get a sound like you describe, as the starter is still trying spin the clutch.  Just a thought.

Additionally, those VF1000 starter motors are 2 brush motors and weak, especially as they get older.  You can fit a 86 - 87 VFR 700/750 motor that is a stronger 4 brush model.  You just have to re-route the cable a little as you get closer to the starter due to the post location.  Strongly consider upgrading it, I couldn't believe the difference, especially when hot. 

Good luck.

• Member Contributer

The 3rd gen '90-'93 VFR750 starter motors bolt right in also. (And I think the 3rd-4th-5th gen starters were all the same, probably the same through the 8th gen knowing Honda...)

• Member Contributer
11 minutes ago, vfrcapn said:

The 3rd gen '90-'93 VFR750 starter motors bolt right in also. (And I think the 3rd-4th-5th gen starters were all the same, probably the same through the 8th gen knowing Honda...)

While it is probably a better starter than the original VF1000 units (partly just due to age), it is still just a 2 brush motor.  The old big V4s really seem to like the 4 brush units.

• Member Contributer

I have checked and the starter button is disengaging. At this stage I have purchased a rebuild/repair kit for the starter motor from Wemoto (uk). Brushes, seals, bearings etc.. I will fit the kit. I think I will still purchase a 86 - 87 VFR 700/750 starter motor as I do like the idea of having a 4 brushes starter motor on a VF1000 as opposed to the standard the 2 brush.  I have 2 x VF1000's an F and an R so having a spare starter motor (the one with the kit in it) is most likely a good idea.. Does anyone have any experience with the Arrowhead brand starter motors? Are they a 4 or 2 brush starter motor? link below https://www.firestormmotorcycles.com.au/honda-vfr750f-1986-1997-arrowhead-starter-motor-a1 

• Member Contributer

I have read posts regarding some VF1000 owners fitting them and being very happy.  But I can't verify configuration.  86 VFR starters are very robust, I just take the used ones I buy apart and completely clean them with electronics cleaner and inspect the brushes.  Zero issues.

I can get under 20K used motors here for 20 to 40$ with shipping.

• Member Contributer

Thanks, I will try asking the supplier if they ae a 4 brush starter motor. If not or if I cant get an answer, I will have a look around for a second hand 86 VFR starter and put a kit though it. 

• Member Contributer
On 7/9/2021 at 12:55 PM, vfrcapn said:

On 7/8/2021 at 6:29 PM, Captain 80s said:

Make sure your starter button is disengaging properly.  Those older starter switch assemblies have a fragile start button that can stick.  I've been limping one along on a VF1000R that I have to pull out with my thumb after starting.  If I don't do it fast enough I get a sound like you describe, as the starter is still trying spin the clutch.  Just a thought.

Additionally, those VF1000 starter motors are 2 brush motors and weak, especially as they get older.  You can fit a 86 - 87 VFR 700/750 motor that is a stronger 4 brush model.  You just have to re-route the cable a little as you get closer to the starter due to the post location.  Strongly consider upgrading it, I couldn't believe the difference, especially when hot. 

Good luck.

Having 2 VF1000R's and an 86 and 87 VFR this is great information, thank you both.

• Member Contributer

Capt, just heard back from the re-seller, they are saying the Arrowhead brand starter motors are a 2 brush design. I will take your advice and get a second hand 86 VFR starter and put a kit though it. I much prefer the idea of having a 4 brush starter. Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
On 7/9/2021 at 6:10 PM, Ronsk said:

Does anyone have any experience with the Arrowhead brand starter motors?

I have rebuilt a lot of 2 brush starters for the DOHC Hondas and found that the Arrowhead brand was the best quality.  Some of the "el cheapos" on eBay have brush holders that don't even fit the motor housing.  If you are planning to rebuild, spend the extra money and get a quality kit.

Archived