Another Tank Protector thread?

Kbear

I know, I know something as simple as a Tank Protector, how dumb - right? Yeah, I realize this is a personal vanity question but I thought I would ask since I want to replace the clear "PROGRIP" that's on my Gen. 6, 25th Anniversary, model currently. You ask: "Why do you want to replace the current protector?" Well, 1.) I want to make this MY VFR and remove the PO's tank protector and 2.) The currant clear PROGRIP shows the dirt that collects behind and around the edges of the protector. Now, one of the considerations to the choice of a Tank Protector is: remember this is a 25th Anniversary edition VFR800 so there is the blue top on the gas tank along with a red paint strip below that. So, I would rather not place a protector over the lower red paint strip if that makes any sense? Yes, I have seen pictures of VFR800s with the Honda OEM ST1300 Honda protectors and I'm not totally apposed to that protector but for now let's entertain the idea of these protectors for the grins - right? Give me your vote?

I sorta wish we had the capability to conduct a poll on this forum. Guess I need to live without that capability? Here are the Tank Protectors I've come across thus far. As a side note you can get anyone of these Tank Protectors from eBay right now.

Now, the below images are not in any particular order this is just how I loaded them from my computer.

Protector 1.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.3ba6632323598653963168723ef5110b.jpg

Protector 2. 

s-l1600_2.thumb.jpg.94c2940edda6b6be6de7a5e239b10751.jpg

Protector 3.

s-l1600_5.thumb.jpg.5653ea41c3fd579e3589c231254a4709.jpg

Protector 4.

s-l1600_4.thumb.jpg.6b0e3156f2ba191de3eed14166560d95.jpg

• Member Contributer

I prefer the Techspec tank protectors because they peel off easily to adjust them if needed or remove them and re-use on another tank (I've done that many times), some of the other ones I've came across in past are one time use and a pain to remove and leave marks on the paint.

I like #2, except my OCD would drive me crazy if I applied those and then noticed one of the panels was off by a fraction of an inch.  So I'd go with #1.  😉  

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, LoneStar66 said:

Hey Kbear...what about this one.....20210708_201947.thumb.jpg.facccb85eeb88f25677e9a5c42a4b321.jpg

I got 1 of those and it went on 1st go and hasn't come off.

It is stuck on with double sided tape however  they only supply a couple of strips for the centre so I went and got more to go right around the boarder.

2 hours ago, TimC said:

I like #2, except my OCD would drive me crazy if I applied those and then noticed one of the panels was off by a fraction of an inch.  So I'd go with #1.  😉  

Man, you and me both bud!

1 hour ago, LoneStar66 said:

Hey Kbear...what about this one.....

29 minutes ago, boOZZIE said:

It is stuck on with double sided tape however  they only supply a couple of strips for the centre so I went and got more to go right around the boarder.

Yeah, that protector is BIG. Nice indeed. However, you remember me stating that this protector will be going on a 25th. Anniv. edition model and I have the blue tank top with the red accent stripe below that. If I can avoid it all together I would rather not cover over the red stripe. Yes, I know I can lower the protector so that it will not cover the red stripe, but the BIG protector wouldn't allow me to do so - agreed? That BIG carbon look protector does look very cool.

• Member Contributer

What about just clear film/wrap. I have a 3m paint protection film set on my cbr

3 hours ago, boOZZIE said:

What about just clear film/wrap. I have a 3m paint protection film set on my cbr

I was just about to post the same idea.  On my current bike, instead of a stick-on tank protector, I bought a roll of 3M clear film.  It's self-adhesive, goes on easily, and comes off just as easily, too.  It's hardly noticeable once it's applied, and when it gets a little messy I just remove and replace it with a couple fresh strips.  A set made for the bike (or something close to it) would be better, but even the basic roll is fine.

I may buy a nice looking tank protector at some point, but for now the 3M film works great.

• Member Contributer

I have the #2 on my 1200, looks good and has stayed firmly in place for the last 6 years.

15 hours ago, boOZZIE said:

Yes, I saw the pieces of film you can purchase online. I think it was eBay. I did, and am, giving that some thought as well. That's why I'm posting the Tank Protector question here so I can get all this cool feedback.

10 hours ago, tomb393 said:

Took 2 months to come from China (ebay)

Looks good even if it did take 2 months.

11 hours ago, Skids said:

I have the #2 on my 1200, looks good and has stayed firmly in place for the last 6 years.

That's great to know. These are bits of information I'm looking for!

• Member Contributer

Another thing with the big carbon protector is when stopped at lights I like to rest my hands ( with gloves, scratchy scratchy ) on the tank and this protector is perfect 

• Member Contributer

Ditto for Techspec, just installed one and it was exactly what I was after. The bike came with one of those multi faceted spine style ones and all the edges had accumulated grit. It took a motherload of polish and patience to make the tank nice once I'd removed it.

On 7/9/2021 at 3:39 AM, boOZZIE said:

That protector is probably the worst kind. It will trash your tank. Grit will get underneath it and scuff it beyond repair.  Whats worse is that being so large you won't find another one bigger to cover up the damage. 

Ask me how I know. 

• Member Contributer

I hav

35 minutes ago, Careca said:

That protector is probably the worst kind. It will trash your tank. Grit will get underneath it and scuff it beyond repair.  Whats worse is that being so large you won't find another one bigger to cover up the damage. 

Ask me how I know. 

I have one on my 6 Gen and when I installed it I added additional 3M tape so there was no break in the tape so it sealed completely. No grit can get through. 

Archived