I have a difficult choice to make!

sed8r

I have a few bikes in the stable currently, and will only be able to take one with me, but I plan to ride it a LOT while over there. All three are very dependable bikes with relatively low miles, so I'm not concerned about parts availability, I guess, I'm just having a devil of a time figuring which to bring with me. 

2016 R1200GSA
1997 GL1500C (Valkyrie)
1999 VFR800FI

I'm leaning toward bringing the GS, because of the range, the comfort, reliability and luggage (I've got a nice full set of GIVI luggage I picked up when living in Italy a few years ago). I rode all over Italy, France, Germany, Austria, Croatia, Slovenia on that bike with my kids or my wife and never had any problems and loved every minute of it. And the range on the Adventure model is awesome. But then... 

The Valkyrie is such an awesome machine! It is powerful, huge, comfortable, it barely has 10K miles (picked it up last year, have gone through it completely, desmog, full carb rebuild/sync etc) has a custom seat that matches the paint, is SUCH a looker (Bumblebee yellow and black) and is also very fun to ride. Fuel economy isn't great, (100-120 miles/tank) but I assume there are sufficient gas stations about, since there are villages and towns almost everywhere. Bonus that it is a pretty rare machine over there, and if offered the right price, I'd sell it and pick up another in the states when I got back. It took a while to find this one, but I'm patient and could find another, I'm sure. Maybe an Interstate model next time.

The VFR is probably 3rd, probably because it's special to me.  It was my first road-motorcycle (ok - not the exact machine, but same year and outfitted the same as when I had to sell mine to pay for IVF for my oldest son).  I'll never sell this one, it's in perfect condition, has about 20K miles, runs beautifully, has a brand new Staintune exhaust that looks and sounds incredible, has the SebSpeed clutch cover that looks so dang good, and it's still pretty comfortable to ride as I get older (45). I think VFR's are pretty well represented in the UK, like the GS is (and the Valkyrie isn't).

I ride each bike once or twice a week where I live currently, maybe 80 miles that week, maybe 400 - though not nearly that much in the summer (Las Vegas is too hot!!). I'd put the other two in storage with a family member who takes white-glove care of motorcycles and has lots of space to watch after mine...

What would you do in my situation? I wouldn't get rid of my GS - I probably never will. I'm inclined to move and get a bigger shop before I sell off toysimage.gif.4126ecb9b5ffd15f42ded577650a952f.gif

The other alternative is leave all three and buy a new Triumph or something there to add to what I have now, or buy something else here that is hard to get there and sell it when it's time to come back to the states. 

Interested if you have any insights, if you live in the UK, or if you just love the GS more than any other machine and can't imagine riding anything else across Europe (I have plans to take it to the continent after I've ridden it all through the Scottish highlands, Wales and England). Thanks for reading.

Since you plan to ride a lot, and you do two-up riding, you have to figure out what type of riding you will do and which bike is the most comfortable doing it. The beemer is the versatile machine of the bunch and it makes sense why you're leaning towards it.

The VFR and the Valkyrie are definitely two special machines; you will regret selling them. 

• Member Contributer

I have both the VFR and Valkyrie, and both are in the never sell column....

Can't help you much with your decision,  but you didnt really say where you're going and how long you will stay?

I think you gotta keep the GS. it's a shame to see those other two go though. Love me a Valkyrie! Otoh, it's a seller's market, so you can probably get come pretty good coin for them.

I would take the GSA to Europe.  Comfortable for long days and trips, good luggage, excellent tank range, spare parts availability (just in case), convenience of shaft drive, additional tie-down points, and (depending on what windscreen you have installed) it even has some wind protection.  It's also the best choice if you do any off-pavement riding during your trip.

If you have auxiliary lights installed (like most GS owners do), they'll increase your visibility to other motorists and your own visibility in dicey weather.

I also think the upright seating position is good when you're riding and want to turn your head for a brief moment to admire the view to your left or right.

• Member Contributer
On 7/8/2021 at 2:42 AM, sed8r said:

I have a few bikes in the stable currently, and will only be able to take one with me, but I plan to ride it a LOT while over there. All three are very dependable bikes with relatively low miles, so I'm not concerned about parts availability, I guess, I'm just having a devil of a time figuring which to bring with me. 

2016 R1200GSA
1997 GL1500C (Valkyrie)
1999 VFR800FI

I'm leaning toward bringing the GS, because of the range, the comfort, reliability and luggage (I've got a nice full set of GIVI luggage I picked up when living in Italy a few years ago). I rode all over Italy, France, Germany, Austria, Croatia, Slovenia on that bike with my kids or my wife and never had any problems and loved every minute of it. And the range on the Adventure model is awesome. But then... 

The Valkyrie is such an awesome machine! It is powerful, huge, comfortable, it barely has 10K miles (picked it up last year, have gone through it completely, desmog, full carb rebuild/sync etc) has a custom seat that matches the paint, is SUCH a looker (Bumblebee yellow and black) and is also very fun to ride. Fuel economy isn't great, (100-120 miles/tank) but I assume there are sufficient gas stations about, since there are villages and towns almost everywhere. Bonus that it is a pretty rare machine over there, and if offered the right price, I'd sell it and pick up another in the states when I got back. It took a while to find this one, but I'm patient and could find another, I'm sure. Maybe an Interstate model next time.

The VFR is probably 3rd, probably because it's special to me.  It was my first road-motorcycle (ok - not the exact machine, but same year and outfitted the same as when I had to sell mine to pay for IVF for my oldest son).  I'll never sell this one, it's in perfect condition, has about 20K miles, runs beautifully, has a brand new Staintune exhaust that looks and sounds incredible, has the SebSpeed clutch cover that looks so dang good, and it's still pretty comfortable to ride as I get older (45). I think VFR's are pretty well represented in the UK, like the GS is (and the Valkyrie isn't).

I ride each bike once or twice a week where I live currently, maybe 80 miles that week, maybe 400 - though not nearly that much in the summer (Las Vegas is too hot!!). I'd put the other two in storage with a family member who takes white-glove care of motorcycles and has lots of space to watch after mine...

What would you do in my situation? I wouldn't get rid of my GS - I probably never will. I'm inclined to move and get a bigger shop before I sell off toysimage.gif.4126ecb9b5ffd15f42ded577650a952f.gif

The other alternative is leave all three and buy a new Triumph or something there to add to what I have now, or buy something else here that is hard to get there and sell it when it's time to come back to the states. 

Interested if you have any insights, if you live in the UK, or if you just love the GS more than any other machine and can't imagine riding anything else across Europe (I have plans to take it to the continent after I've ridden it all through the Scottish highlands, Wales and England). Thanks for reading.

I get the impression you're going to be based in the UK (it wasn't entirely clear), but in most cases I would probably choose the GS over the Valk or the VFR.  The Valkyrie is simply too big for Europe.  I used to know a guy with one and we went on week-long group trips together a few times, and I understand why he chose it (he's an, ummm, big bloke), but it's really on the limits of practical.  It would definitely make a statement, however!

As I don't have a GS, I would be happy to take my fifth gen (it's already kitted out with GiVis, so ready to tour).  The GS would be very comfortable, and all the old fogeys ride them, so you'll fit right in!  I don't know about reliability, but at least there are a lot of BMW dealers in Europe to visit...

By the way, importing and selling a bike in Europe or the UK is not the easiest thing to do, because at some point the tax will have to be paid (either by you if you're a resident, or by the buyer).  You can get bikes in without officially importing them (or at least I was able to when I last did it ca. 2006), and you'll have to deal with getting insurance on a foreign-registered bike, which is a big hassle.  It usually makes more sense to buy a bike locally (assuming you are resident somewhere and can register it/get insurance) than to temporarily import it or try to sell it.  How long will you be there?

Ciao,

JZH

Archived