6th Gen VFR800 Tail/Side Exhaust Modification Idea/Opinions

I recently purchased a red 2002 VFR800 and I am absolutely loving it! It hides its age extremely well except for one thing (which tends to be an eye sore for me); the big outdated under tail exhausts. Another issue I have with my motorcycle is it is just no loud enough. I run with a Stain-tune cat back exhaust (without the baffles) and also have the stock exhaust. Now I know I can have a custom exhaust fabricated or use a more modern style rear exhaust setup (like repurposing a R1 or Ducati TOCE setup for the VFR) and this would fix both of my issues (make it louder and get rid of the dated look, but I am a university student on a pretty tight budget when it comes to throwing money on a bike. The alternative to this is running with a cheap slip on exhaust which comes out the side. The issue with this would be the gaping hole under the tail where the old cans used to be; this just makes the motorcycle look like something is off about it. What I am proposing is to get an affordable slip on and put that on the side, and fabricate a piece to go under the tail. I would fabricate this by first making a mold around the empty tail with cardboard, filling it with expanding foam, shaving it down to fit the bike, going over the foam with fibreglass, and finally paint matching with the Italian Red Honda paint. I could also have the fibreglass part painted at a shop if it would be cheaper. I have listed the rough price estimate and a getto mock of the final product (slip on not included in the mock up). I would love to get your guys opinion on this, the level of difficulty this would be, and if this is a pipe dream or something that is actually realistic and a good idea. Thanks. 

Cost Estimate:

- Shorty Slip On Exhaust - $100 CAD

- Expanding Foam - $10 CAD

- Cardboard - Free

- Sandpaper and Files - Free 

- Fibreglass Repair Kit - $40 CAD

- Primer - $10 CAD

- Honda Paint - $35 CAD

- Clear Coat - $15 CAD

- Total - $210

Motorcycle Mockup:

Screen Shot 2021-07-07 at 9.44.15 AM.png

• Member Contributer

- Shorty Slip On Exhaust - $100 CAD ????   

Please post an example that isn't a stupid coffee can.

Don't forget to budget your PCIII to fix your fueling issues.

- Honda Paint - $35 CAD

- Clear Coat - $15 CAD

Not sure if you have priced real paint lately, especially reds.

Overall a considerable higher level of difficulty and expense than I think you are anticipating, imo.  At least for something that will look good at all when done.

I'm not trying to poo-poo projects and making something unique and yours, but I think you should step back and truly consider this (as a student on a budget).  Maybe research adapting a CBR1000RR tail or something.  Or enjoy your cool VFR and maybe consider a different year like 98-01.

Good luck!!

-Mike.

• Member Contributer

I would say look at the 8th gen slip on options, and how to mount those to the 6th gen passenger footpeg bracket (or, if an 8th gen fits...dunno).   Probably pretty easy to get a Delkevic slip on that way, which includes the downpipe to the stock header.

Now that I am 90% done with my exhaust, I kind of wish I could get a longer side mount slip on vs. the 8" Delkevics, to make the thing reasonably quiet.  But I don't have much interest in trying to fill in the space under the rear cowl like you are thinking about.

Color Rite makes a really good R157, it matches a VFR that's been in the sun at least ~1 year very well (they turn a little orangeish, my opinion).  I have mostly new plastic on my 2002, plus a few things I had to paint (front fender and a corner upper fairing piece), and it's usually impossible to notice the difference.  Used the spray can version (it's expensive for a reason) and was very, very happy with the results.  I let them cure 7-10 days before wet sanding and they came out just about perfect.

• Member Contributer

Generally speaking, IMHO fabrication projects for someone who has not done it before are generally under-estimated - not just in cost, but in difficulty.  When you see a nice looking custom piece someone has done, it's because they have a lot of skill and experience.  As above, I'm not trying to dissuade or dis-respect you - but body and paint is difficult and is tough to get looking really good - and often takes much longer than anticipated.   I find it odd - for decades motorcycle exhausts for the most part came out the side(s) at the rear wheel.   A "left exit exhaust" on a 3rd or 4th gen VFR was a very trick look.  Then the 6th gen came out with the cans under the seat - following I suppose Ducati's lead - I recall early on the 916 with its twin shotgun cans.  Now that's a "dated" look.  Ah well - the cycles of fashion I suppose.  Actually, if you have Staintune under-seat exhausts for that bike, have you thought about selling it?  I'm guessing there would be quite a bit of interest. 

• Member Contributer

"following I suppose Ducati's lead - I recall early on the 916 with its twin shotgun cans.  Now that's a "dated" look."

spacer.png

I'm not Ducatisti, but I'll take dated any day if that's it.  But I suppose with a name like Captain 80s, guess I would have an anchor in the past.  

• Member Contributer

I got my license in '80s and remember drooling all over bikes back then. Got one of my dream bikes decade later. Still looks damn good, however "dated" that may be.

uc?export=download&id=1P-03RCGtwaqqTVHZq

Perhaps if the VFR cans were simplified with more basic shapes, it wouldn't be so busy looking.

• 2 weeks later...

I always enjoyed the single sided swingarm and the unobstructed view of the rear wheel on the 6th generation vfr’s.    Looking at the stock exhaust from the rear you can see how proud Honda is of their V4.   Good luck with the change.

287F1098-F191-4A81-8097-00CBAC6C142B.webp

43A54821-EEA1-4702-95D3-61B6B2E8CD15.webp

476129879__20210722175742.thumb.jpg.f90e5a5696a5109afbf8d056698464b6.jpg

I just happened to do this kind of thing. I also will cut fairing soon, still thinking about the shape and how much I want to cut than black out the undertail. The exhaust is "Delkevic 13" Stainless Tri-Oval Muffler Exhaust 98-01" The weight saving is a huge gain.

微信图片_20210722175747.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Got some updated. Got a used rear fairing. I just cut both side. The tail is pointing to the sky right now. I really like the look. The next step I will paint the under tail heat shield.

672813932__20210805140716.jpg

1498771073__20210805140712.jpg

Archived