Checking battery condition through BatteryTender pigtail?

kwharwood

• Member Contributer

VFRers,

Today, I connected a multimeter to the BatteryTender pigtail: iddle 14+ volts and engine stopped: 13+ volts.

My Yuasa battery is now 6 years old and I'm wondering if there is a way to test the battery more thoroughly

(under load....might be the correct terminology) through the BT pigtail?

Also, I was considering installing a BT Lithium ion replacement battery. Any comments?

If so, could anyone tell me what BT Lion battery my 2005, VFR800A utilizes? Deltran Customer Service has never

replied to my battery fitment query.

KWH in ATL

Yuasa AGM replacement is now $210 USD. I know....it's COVID pandemic.

• Member Contributer

Yuasa are a top quality AGM battery, not surprised you've gotten 6 years out of it.

Battery terminal voltage is not a good indication of battery capacity!

Charge your battery then take it to your nearest auto parts store, they can load check it for free, well they do over here! This will check its cranking amps capacity. If that passes stick it back into your bike.

The upgraded battery for your bike is a YTZ14S (oem is a YTZ12S ) there are many other AGM type battery options other than Yuasa.

Sorry can't advise on Lithium Ion, other than to say that Honda uses a ELIIY Lithium Ion batteries as OEM on the Fireblade and the SP2 Blade along with the Africa Twin and CRF450's

Attached is an example of my 6year old battery that failed the test, notice its CCA rating of 210, only achieved 99, no wonder I was having cranking issues.

20200626_104144.jpg

• Member Contributer

Crum,

Once again, thanks, for your help! I will take the battery to a local auto parts store for further testing

KWH

• Member Contributer
7 minutes ago, kwharwood said:

Crum,

Once again, thanks, for your help! I will take the battery to a local auto parts store for further testing

KWH

You are most welcome Sir.

Regards.

Crum!!!!!:fing02:

• Member Contributer

That photo of the battery test result should be pinned to the top of the electrical forum and required to be read 1st before posting an electrical question!   :warranty:

• Member Contributer

FWIW, (which isn't much at this point!), I have recently purchased a LifePo4 Aliant YLP14 for my UK-based bikes.  The thing is tiny, weighs next to nothing and fits into everything from my Aprilia RS250 to my 5th-gen VFR.  I have high hopes for this neat solution to my "serial battery killing" problem. 

(That said, I also jumped on the CompuFire and Fusar bandwagons, so you may want to wait a bit before joining me...)

Ciao,

JZH

Archived