Temp Fan Question

interceptor69

• Member Contributer

From my foggy memory..From older threads.. I seem to remember someone adapted 6th gen radiators to a 5th saying they had 13% more capacity.

Haven't seen anything to confirm...?

Just reporting, no experience....

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, ducnut said:

You want the AS3 clamp kit, as they’re wider and of more substantial design in the screw/tightening area. Silicone hoses don’t compress like rubber, so they require more clamping force and the AS3 clamps reliably get that done. 

There are no paper gaskets; only O-rings. However, aged O-rings can look paper, in poor pics. 

783CDD5D-CDFA-4B47-8137-FCB30C6F3514.jpeg

721C3BD9-BFBE-4E10-8554-19EEE8A8127C.jpeg

That was the image I saw.

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, ducnut said:

You want the AS3 clamp kit, as they’re wider and of more substantial design in the screw/tightening area. Silicone hoses don’t compress like rubber, so they require more clamping force and the AS3 clamps reliably get that done. 

There are no paper gaskets; only O-rings. However, aged O-rings can look paper, in poor pics. 

783CDD5D-CDFA-4B47-8137-FCB30C6F3514.jpeg

721C3BD9-BFBE-4E10-8554-19EEE8A8127C.jpeg

Thanks-will order the clamps as well.

• Member Contributer

I've seen posts where guys ordered the hoses from AS3 off eBay.  I can't find the VFR hoses on eBay so will probably have to order directly from them-they appear to be in GB.  Are they available cheaper on eBay?

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, mello dude said:

From my foggy memory..From older threads.. I seem to remember someone adapted 6th gen radiators to a 5th saying they had 13% more capacity.

Haven't seen anything to confirm...?

Just reporting, no experience....

They are 2 rows taller,  mite be a tad longer.  Not sure that gives em 13% more though. I have no idea what the fitment under a 5th gen fairing would be like.  The 6th gen doesn't seem to me to run any cooler than a 5th -  so while an upgrade the difference might not be noticeable. 

As to the O-rings on the cylinder heads water necks, those things become absolutely fossilized.  When removed they don't even look like O-rings - just gaskets. I suppose they take more heat than others in the cooling system. Definitely worth replacing while the throttle body is removed. 

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, interceptor69 said:

That was the image I saw.

That pic is my ‘98, with 16K miles. Those bits live in a brutal environment. 

9 hours ago, interceptor69 said:

I've seen posts where guys ordered the hoses from AS3 off eBay.  I can't find the VFR hoses on eBay so will probably have to order directly from them-they appear to be in GB.  Are they available cheaper on eBay?

They’re no cheaper. eBay is just an avenue for them to get exposure and conduct transactions. 

When something is no longer listed or can’t be found on eBay, just e-mail them and they’ll get you headed in the right direction. They’ve been excellent to everyone who has contacted them. 

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, ducnut said:

That pic is my ‘98, with 16K miles. Those bits live in a brutal environment. 

They’re no cheaper. eBay is just an avenue for them to get exposure and conduct transactions. 

When something is no longer listed or can’t be found on eBay, just e-mail them and they’ll get you headed in the right direction. They’ve been excellent to everyone who has contacted them. 

Thanks Duc-will order them directly off their website.  Thanks much for all the info.  Btw I may have inadvertently put a bit (less than 1/2 cup) of Prestone antifreeze in yesterday-will that screw up my fuel pump gasket?  I diluted it w/ distilled water so <1/2 cup antifreeze and 1/2 cup water.  I hope I don't need to drain all the fluid out prior to the fall when I empty it out for the hose replacement.  I didn't know one couldn't use typical car antifreeze w/ silicates.  Learn something new every day.

• Member Contributer

I don't think the Prestone will harm the fuel pump gasket,  but it will definitely do bad things to your water pimp seal. If it were mine I would drain and flush everything out as best as possible before another ride.  That dilute an amount may not be fatal to the pump seal,  but a 50/ 50 mix most certainly is,  the dilute amount just might take longer.  You'll know it when you pull over for a break to discover that your rear tire is covered with coolant. If you're running a Gen 5, note that the water pump is NLA from Honda,  so you want to take all precautions to preserve it.  I've been using the Honda coolant for their cars.  The dye is a slightly different color,  but it works great and is a fraction of the cost of what's available at power sports dealers, about $20.  If you find your water pump leaking, you'll wish you'd spent the money.

• Member Contributer
14 minutes ago, interceptor69 said:

Thanks Duc-will order them directly off their website.  Thanks much for all the info.  Btw I may have inadvertently put a bit (less than 1/2 cup) of Prestone antifreeze in yesterday-will that screw up my fuel pump gasket?  I diluted it w/ distilled water so <1/2 cup antifreeze and 1/2 cup water.  I hope I don't need to drain all the fluid out prior to the fall when I empty it out for the hose replacement.  I didn't know one couldn't use typical car antifreeze w/ silicates.  Learn something new every day.

Double-check the Prestone jug. Most automotive antifreeze is silicate-free, these days. 

When you change your hoses, flush everything out of the system and start fresh. Replace with Asian automotive coolant, which is equivalent to Honda Type 2. As I mentioned before, you need to start out with a solid base, with everything at its best. 

• Member Contributer

Will check the jug for silicates.  Fuel pump?  If I had a brain I'd be dangerous-don't know why I typed that.  I also read about flushing with vinegar and water then a soda solution so will do that as well.  Curious to see what comes out!

• Member Contributer

I wouldn’t flush with vinegar, as I personally don’t like the idea of putting something acidic inside an engine. Then, you’re wanting to follow up with something that starts out granular for a neutralizer? Nah. No way I’d do that. For your radiators? Absolutely, as you can manipulate them and see what all you’re doing with the rinsing. 

I assure you, no matter how thorough you think you’re going to be with rinsing, there are going to be areas where you’re not getting the liquid out, unless you roll the engine around on the floor. A whole lot more came out of this than I would’ve ever thought. 

B90C4E5E-CFDC-4DB3-8AA8-BA0B3F9C382F.jpeg

Archived