Gen. 6 non ABS High Beams not working

Kbear

Hello All,

I just purchased a Non ABS 2007 VFR800 25th Anniversary edition with 7,698 miles. The High Beams are not working currently. No, the blue light doesn't light up on the dash either when the switch is on High. Fuses under the right Meter panel are all good. Replaced the OEM bulbs with new OEMs but no positive result there either. Was trying to figure out how to remove the Relay under the left Meter panel but no luck there. The Service Manual doesn't give any clues on just how to unplug or remove that relay just says "remove the relay". I want to remove that relay and find out if that's what the issue is.

Any insight or directions you are able to give regarding the High Beans not working would be great.

• Member Contributer

Copied my response from your post at the other place:

When I was working on a friend's 2003, we were trying to track down a no start issue. The Fuel Cut relay and the High Beam Relay are the exact same part and are right next to each other. I swapped them to verify it wasn't the Fuel Cut Relay. But I'm pretty sure I had the Upper cowl completely off and had access to them.

9 minutes ago, Captain 80s said:

Copied my response from your post at the other place:

When I was working on a friend's 2003, we were trying to track down a no start issue. The Fuel Cut relay and the High Beam Relay are the exact same part and are right next to each other. I swapped them to verify it wasn't the Fuel Cut Relay. But I'm pretty sure I had the Upper cowl completely off and had access to them.

Oh, so you have to remove the windscreen then the Center Meter Panel in order to get to that Relay.SCAN0000.PDF

• Member Contributer

I just pulled the whole upper cowl, windscreen, headlights and all as a unit.  Was tired of trying to access shit thru stupid little panel holes.  Fucking hated working on that bike.  Stupid Fucking Spaceship.

1 minute ago, Captain 80s said:

I just pulled the whole upper cowl, windscreen, headlights and all as a unit.  Was tired of trying to access shit thru stupid little panel holes.  Fucking hated working on that bike.  Stupid Fucking Spaceship.

🤣 Now that's funny. Okay. I think I'll start small and work from there. Sure thank you for pointing me in the right direction. 🤣 "Stupid Fucking Spaceship" 🤣.

• Member Contributer

You either have a faulty hi beam relay or it's not being energized.

First check for any corrosion on the relay contacts. Second simply swap the hi and lo relays.

If the fault has not transferred. Measure between the Green and the Blue wires of the hi beam relay base. With hi beam selected you should measure 12v. If not confirm the Green ground wire is properly Grounded and that you have 12v on the Blue wire from the dimmer switch when hi beam selected. There should also be 12v on the Blue/White wire at the dimmer switch.

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, Captain 80s said:

Haha I can hear you cursing from here! 6gen sure as hell ain't no Starship Enterprise! :laughing6-hehe:

Okay everyone. As was suspected I found out that the High Beam Relay was faulty. No continuity. I replaced it today and all is good. I now have High Beams.

Now, I did split the switch controller open to have a look inside. It's very clean and has the factory electrical grease lube. All the switches seem as though they are working fine. However, I just can't shake the feeling that that switch controller is playing monkey business with me. Think I'm gonna have to split it open again to make sure I'm seeing what I'm seeing. It's just this thought in the back of my mind that there's something going on there. 

All-in-all I have High Beams now. Was starting to cramp my brain.

Thank you guys who took time out of their busy days to point me in the right direction!!!!

• Member Contributer
14 minutes ago, Kbear said:

All the switches seem as though they are working fine. However, I just can't shake the feeling that that switch controller is playing monkey business with me. Think I'm gonna have to split it open again to make sure I'm seeing what I'm seeing. It's just this thought in the back of my mind that there's something going on there. 

Why for you worry?

You found a faulty relay. If horn, turn signals and headlights are all good....relax and go ride, you've fixed your problem.

7 minutes ago, Grum said:

Why for you worry?

You found a faulty relay. If horn, turn signals and headlights are all good....relax and go ride, you've fixed your problem.

You make a lot of sense bud! Maybe I'll just let it go and go ride! 👍

• Kbear changed the title to Gen. 6 non ABS High Beams not working

Archived