Gen. 6 Rear Seat Cowling broken location tab repair

Kbear

Hello all,

I just purchased a 2007 25th Anniversary edition RWB. The rear seat cowling has a location tab that's broken off. Has anyone had to repair one of theirs and if so what was the best adhesive to use?  Is there a really good "clear" plastic cement that works best? What would plastic welding do?

Any direction or help would be great.

20210627_115730[1].jpg

20210627_115718[1].jpg

20210627_115711[1].jpg

• Member Contributer

ABS pipe cement similar to this

AFCB3AB0-E08F-4AEC-8DC6-7721817BF609.png

2 minutes ago, Thumbs said:

ABS pipe cement similar to this

Great! Thank you for responding so quickly. That looks good and I didn't even think of PVC pipe cement. Thank you again.

• Member Contributer

I would likely source some abs sheet and glue on a backing support for strength too (that doesn't interfere with how it bolts to the seat).  And do the same for the other side to future proof while you're there.

• Member Contributer
15 minutes ago, Kbear said:

Great! Thank you for responding so quickly. That looks good and I didn't even think of PVC pipe cement. Thank you again.

ABS pipe cement 

8 minutes ago, Captain 80s said:

I would likely source some abs sheet and glue on a backing support for strength too (that doesn't interfere with how it bolts to the seat).  And do the same for the other side to future proof while you're there.

Awesome! You make a very valid point. I gave that a thought at first too, but I'll need to look a little closer. You see that broken tab is pretty darn stubby (broke off pretty close to the cowling edge) making for some short glue area. Yes, I will definitely be looking into backing up not only the broken tab but the good tab as well.

Thank you for your input!!!! 

6 minutes ago, Captain 80s said:

Specifically ABS Plastic.

Okay. This is very good to know. Is this something you can get at Home Depot or is it something that should be obtained from Auto Body Shop? Would Honda have this ABS cement? 

• Member Contributer

Hardware or plumbing supply store.  No problem.

And sometimes some household items or office supplies are made of ABS plastic to source for extra material.  Just test with the cement to make sure it's the right kind of plastic.

3 minutes ago, Captain 80s said:

Hardware or plumbing supply store.  No problem.

And sometimes some household items or office supplies are made of ABS plastic to source for extra material.  Just test with the cement to make sure it's the right kind of plastic.

Cool. Plumbing supply store may have more access to some fall of some flat ABS as well I could use. Thank you!!!!! 🤣 "Stupid Fucking Spaceship" 🤣

• Member Contributer

You could buy some ABS pipe or some other kind of fitting that might have some flat sections, cut it up and use a heat gun to flatten it or shape it too.

• 1 month later...

Okay everybody. I finally got around to fixing my rear seat cowl broken mounting tab. I went to a plastic specialties company and asked if they had something to repair the tab. I was told to use the product shown below. I also asked for some plastic fall they could supply me and he had some. This glue is really amazing. 

1854521624_20210808_1146211.thumb.jpg.28c703f54762ad6a895f2aae020eefa9.jpg

Maybe I should have made the tabs a little longer but it is what it is.

1278791351_20210808_1145341.thumb.jpg.bddcefcafff7ff70094090388e266646.jpg1630636935_20210808_1146001.thumb.jpg.0c5a48a4f8df3c7fdbd2ed67e978cb8c.jpg

• Member Contributer

A soldering iron and a strip of ABS plastic off eBay worked for me. Sanded down the weld with a multi tool afterwards. Plastex is also worth considering www.plastex.com.au is you want to try something different. I have also had a lot of success with Plastex.

Archived