Starter / Stop switch: help needed

2FAST4U

• Member Contributer

I've got an '02 VFR that I very seldom ride anymore because I bought a Kawasaki Ninja 1000 last year.

The VFR won't start and I have reason to believe it has something to do with the starter/stop switch (part 3 in the attached diagram). I was in the process of replacing it when I got stuck on how to remove the two cables (parts 1 and 2 in the attached diagram). Does anybody know where I can find instructions on how to replace this part? What was happening is every time I pressed the starter button, I would sometimes have to press it several times before the engine started. Now, no matter how many times I press it, it won't start.

Thank you.

VFR.jpg

• Member Contributer

Have you tested the switch to confirm it's faulty?

Could be a faulty connection, sticky starter relay, faulty wire!

• Member Contributer

Can you please be more specific in terms of what I should do? I can change spark plugs, air filters, brake pads, etc. but when it comes to electrical issues, I don't know all that much.

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, 2FAST4U said:

Can you please be more specific in terms of what I should do? I can change spark plugs, air filters, brake pads, etc. but when it comes to electrical issues, I don't know all that much.

Sure no probs.

Your Starter Switch performs two functions. 

1. As you press the switch it breaks power for your headlight relays, as Captain 80s states your lights should go off at this point.

2. When fully pressed it connects the Black wire (positive 12v power) to the Yellow/Red wire which goes to your Starter Relay to energize it.

Do you have a multimeter? It needs to be set either to the lowest Ohms range or Buzzer mode. In either of these modes, hold the leads together and note the reading. This is what you want to see on the wires of the switch when you press the starter switch, with your Ignition switch OFF.

Locate the Black and the Yellow/red wires at the connector nearest the switch, or at the switch itself if you can get to it, refer drawing attached.

You need to probe both of these wires and have an assistant press the switch (again keep ignition switched off). When the switch is fully pressed Do You See the Same Result on the meter as if you are holding the probes together? Make sure your probes are making good contact with the wire connectors. It might be easier to disconnect the main plug to probe the switch wire connections.

Operate the switch numerous times it should short the two wires mentioned each time the switch is fully pressed, if it does your switch is ok. If not then the switch is most likely faulty.

Note - Starter Switch terminals, IG=12v Ignition Power. Black wire

ST= Starter Relay. Yellow/Red wire

Screenshot_20210703-072923_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Archived