Trying to identify parts and user manuals for my A9 series VFR (2012)

OxfordAl

Hello,

I recently bought a 2012 VFR, listed is some places as a 6th Gen A9 series, and I also saw it described as an RC46 in the logbook.

Problem is - i'm trying to find how to fit a gear selector indicator but cannot find anythign online relating to the 2012 VFR and the ECU.... eg, where is it!

Everything online seems to point to 2002-2009 VFR 6th Gen only (even the Haynes service manuals).

Then I tried looking into a Sargent seat ... again, same problem, they seem to stop in 2009 (and Sargent say they dont have a seat for the A9 (2012 VFR). Was there a radical shift in design between A8 and A9 series VFRs and if so, where can I find out what? Any explanations greatfully received.

• Member Contributer

Hi, and welcome to the site.

AFAIK, there was no significant difference between models from 06-13 so anything that will fit an 09 will fit a 12.

There were more significant changes between the 02-06 and 06+ models however, mainly engine related.

I'm sure someone with far better knowledge will be along soon. :beer:

• Member Contributer

Not the best source but Wikipedia has this

Sixth Generation: 2002–2013 VFR800 VTEC (RC46)[edit]

220px-2003_Honda_VFR_800_A-3.jpg

6th generation 2003 VFR800 VTEC

The sixth generation VFR was introduced in 2002. It featured dual underseat exhausts, optional ABS, DCBS linked brakes, and optional hard luggage. It featured chain-driven cams rather than the gear-driven cams of earlier VFRs, and VTEC valve actuation.

In 2006 the VFR 800 received some minor upgrades, which included the change of the tachometer face from black to white, a re-mapped ECU to provide a smoother transition into VTEC, clear turn signal lenses and upgrades to the electrical wiring to fix issues with the charging system.[4]

The VFR800 was phased out after the 2009 model year in the United States, when Honda introduced the larger VFR1200F;[5] but the VFR1200 was not a direct replacement for the VFR800; the true successor is the 2014 VFR800F (RC79). The RC46 model of VFR800 continues to be sold in certain international markets

So it would appear that anything sixth generation fits

thanks guys, I've alreay bitten the bullet and bought the gear change indicator, a couple of spots and a touring front screen, so I'll probabaly be back on these pages with an update as to whether they fitted -

still at a loss to explain this response from Sargent though ...

Hello Alan
the reason people have had problems fitting the seat is because it is designed for use on the 2002-2009 models only.
Sorry to say Sargent do not manufacture a seat for your machine.

• Member Contributer

I had my seat reupholstered by Elite @ http://www.sussexmotorcycles.com/elite-comfort-motorcycle-seats.html

They altered the location and type of foam used and raised the height by 1” exactly as I asked 

They’re not far from Oxford if you want to go there and they’ll do it while you wait 

• Member Contributer
On 7/3/2021 at 7:19 PM, OxfordAl said:

thanks guys, I've alreay bitten the bullet and bought the gear change indicator, a couple of spots and a touring front screen, so I'll probabaly be back on these pages with an update as to whether they fitted -

still at a loss to explain this response from Sargent though ...

Hello Alan
the reason people have had problems fitting the seat is because it is designed for use on the 2002-2009 models only.
Sorry to say Sargent do not manufacture a seat for your machine.

"Computer says no"!

Sargent (based in the US) just doesn't understand that the same bike was sold in other countries after 2009.  If it's not in their database, it doesn't exist.

As a Yank, I can say, "typical Yanks", but you'd be best advised not to!

Ciao,

JZH

• 3 months later...

My thanks to thumbs and JZH - just coming back to this now. Out a few more miles on the bike over summer, spots are on as is the gear shift ind. and all is good. Just got to take the plunge probably and go with the seat next!

Archived