Are the '10's really that dicey?

Hey, noob here.  I read a thread somewhere (not sure if it was even in this forum) about the '10's being a serious crapshoot dependability-wise.    I found one with 7k miles on the clock, and am tempted to roll the dice.  Every review of this bike has been glowing (by those that have actually ridden one.)  I know re the smaller tank, and 1st/2nd gear retardation, and driveshaft recall.  I think I can live with all that (with a reflash of ECU and lowered touring range expectation.)  For under $6k USD, is it a good gamble?  How much is the Guhl reflash, and is the Bazzaz or PCV option the better route?  Is the scarcity of the bike a problem now for parts?  I'm in Southern California, (and will be driving 12 hrs in 115 degree desert to pick it up if I pull the trigger).

Thanx for any input,

Joel

• Member Contributer

I don't own one, however I don't recall any posts about reliability issues on those.  The driveshaft has been an issue in some cases, but if the recall has been or gets done, it should be fine. 

• Member Contributer

No issues to be concerned about, great bike, extremely reliable in my experience.

Bought my 7th gen new in April 2010, sold it July 2017, almost 40K miles. As you probably already know, its a bit heavy, excessive drive lash riding around a parking garage, and removing and reinstalling the plastic is a royal PITA. But I loved that bike, fantastic very powerful motor, best brakes I have ever owned (yes, better than Brembos!), and I have always liked the looks. You also might want to replace the seat with one from a newer 7th gen, I think they improved it after maybe 2012. I put Heli bars on mine also.

Do make sure the drive shaft recall is done as Cogs mentioned. The Bazazz is great, literally plug-and-play, takes five minutes to install, restores full power in the two lower gears. Only downside is that the gear indicator will read 3rd gear when in 1st or 2nd (now that I think of it, I think I still have a Bazzaz in the garage, belongs to member RC1237V...).

If it is well cared for (and red, or course) I say pull the trigger!

F596C337-83FF-45B7-888D-1D8EF309A86D.jpeg

• Member Contributer

I've got 80,000 miles on mine.  No issues.  (Bazzaz, power commander, suspension all around, etc. mods all done)  The plastics are easy to get on and off if you don't reinstall one bolt.  I posted about it years ago and maybe that post is still around if you pull the trigger.  

The ECU or bazzaz mods are absolutely essential though (in my opinion).  If they weren't available shortly after I bought it I would have sold it to be honest.

I f*cking love this bike.

thanks guys.  I was reading some threads on the ECU flash (Guhl ?) as fixing all the problems, but noticed his website doesn't list support for the VFR anymore, and has a bunch of offroad disclaimers (I know, darn lawyers.)  I'm actually torn between the BMW K1300s the Viffer and a BMW F800GT.  I race little bikes so I was amazed at the power of the K1300s, its a little big/heavy for throwing around in the twisties, I thought the 1200 might a bit better (though still heavy.)

Thanks for the input.

I was a longtime 6th gen. owner and spent tons of time on this forum.  I don't recall ever seeing repeated problems written by 7th gen. owners.  Most people who bought them love them.

I test rode a BMW K1200S probably 10 years ago, and an F800GT several years ago.  The K bike (1200 or 1300) is a rocket.  (The F bike not so much.)  If memory serves, the K bike has sportier ergonomics than the 7th gen. VFR - not uncomfortably so, but I think it feels more stretched out.

The F800GT is more like a 6th gen. VFR, but down on hp and torque.  I liked the design and ergonomics, but the parallel twin didn't impress me.  It felt "wheezy," if you know what I mean.

By the way, while bike shopping last year I test rode a new BMW F750GS, whose engine is kind of a descendent of the one from the F800GT.  I think that parallel twin has come a long way, as I liked the new bike much better.  In fact, I came kind of close to buying that bike.

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Jbailey895 said:

thanks guys.  I was reading some threads on the ECU flash (Guhl ?) as fixing all the problems, but noticed his website doesn't list support for the VFR anymore, and has a bunch of offroad disclaimers (I know, darn lawyers.)  I'm actually torn between the BMW K1300s the Viffer and a BMW F800GT.  I race little bikes so I was amazed at the power of the K1300s, its a little big/heavy for throwing around in the twisties, I thought the 1200 might a bit better (though still heavy.)

Thanks for the input.

If the ZBomb is still available, you don't need the reflash for it's main purpose which was to eliminate the first 2 gears' power limitation.   If you want to eliminate the top-speed restriction (which is, I don't know, 148mph or something), then the reflash is necessary.  There is a guy in Europe doing a reflash remotely as well, so I've heard. 

Reliablity wise i think the honda tracked down the engines that had the lubrication issues and driveshaft issues at this point. You can check https://powersports.honda.com/recalls put in your vin and theoretically you'd be told if it needed any recalls done. 

In regards to different mods etc i'd say the by far biggest changes for my ride was getting the Sabsteef ECU tune (remote tune) done, super easy process so i can highly recommend it. 
Also installed this https://www.bikefarmmv.com/epages/79512538.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/79512538/Products/"HHLRHO VFR 1200 F SC63" 25mm riser, again very easy install and 100% a noticeable difference, seems just as stable but slightly quicker when i gotta change direction, just made the bike feel that bit shaper. 

• Member Contributer
14 hours ago, Jbailey895 said:

Thanks for the input.

What everyone else says, an awesome machine made even more awesome when you splash a little cash on it.

The ECU reflash is definitely available remotely, see the link in my sig below alongside the Don Guhl link. All you need is a connector from the laptop to the ECU (Seb posts this to you or you may be able to source one yourself) then stand back and wait while he does his stuff from Holland. All from the safety and security of your own garage. 

Shaft recall is a must if not already completed, and I'd second the seat change for a 2010 model, they were rock hard. 

The biggest and most beneficial mod I had done, and it did cost $$$ was a suspension upgrade. It transformed the handling.

Tank range is a moot point, unless you like riding continuously for >150 miles in one go. Most of us need a rest before that so a refuel at the same time is not an issue. Pushing it in the twisties will bring the tank range down more, but then that's the same for every bike.

And like others, I will never sell this bike, I love it!

I got to ride a 2010 VFR1200 today at a local dealer.  The bike is truly beautiful.  It had the Bazzaz mod and a  Leo Vince exhaust.  It is also crazy-fast.  Like I may not retain a license for long if I buy this bike fast.  I spun the rear in 2nd gear on a rolling-stop right turn, and surprised me that it stepped out a little bit.  Since I race small bikes, I didn't think it would bother me, but the wrist pressure issue hit me almost immediately.  I like to lay on the tank for longer rides anyway, but around town that would be annoying I think.

I'm going to make myself ride an F800GT again tomorrow to see if it is "enough", because I may have to admit the VFR is "too much" [fun].  The license thing may be a problem too.  Its hard to ride these things slow.

• Member Contributer
19 hours ago, Jbailey895 said:

I got to ride a 2010 VFR1200 today at a local dealer.  The bike is truly beautiful.  It had the Bazzaz mod and a  Leo Vince exhaust.  It is also crazy-fast.  Like I may not retain a license for long if I buy this bike fast.  I spun the rear in 2nd gear on a rolling-stop right turn, and surprised me that it stepped out a little bit.  Since I race small bikes, I didn't think it would bother me, but the wrist pressure issue hit me almost immediately.  I like to lay on the tank for longer rides anyway, but around town that would be annoying I think.

I'm going to make myself ride an F800GT again tomorrow to see if it is "enough", because I may have to admit the VFR is "too much" [fun].  The license thing may be a problem too.  Its hard to ride these things slow.

Go with the above mentioned risers, or the supermoto bars from Speigler, and you will be comfortable on any trip! As far as the acceleration goes, it's there if you need it, but if you can't resist you will be smiling while paying fines, or losing your license... 😉

• Member Contributer

The "dicey" issue might have come from a batch of early bikes that had "swarf" which is chips, and/or slurry left over from machining the block. I don't think any were US bikes, and most people had good results with Honda repairing them. I have not heard of any bikes failing since the initial bikes - most likely all affected engines failed by now that had that condition from the factory. 

I ride mine like I stole it every day, and have not had a single problem. I doubt I will ever sell this bike, it's so fast, comfy, reliable, I can find nothing under $20K that could replace it!

Archived