Bad clunking sound in my rear end when riding!

Irvin

Hi All, 

I’ve been having a terrible issue with a clunking sound from the back wheel when rolling. Its something within the back wheel for sure. I took off the chain and it still makes the sound. I took the wheel apart to check the bears and they all spin smooth and free. I did find the culprit though. The hub seems to be really friendly with the wheel and look like they’re just smashing together as I ride.

is there a spacer that should exist between the two surfaces?  I attached photos of both surfaces and the axle with spacers from daugherty motorsports. 

for reference, i have a cbr f2 wheel installed to a vf1000r swingarm. The hub is from a vf1000r

this is the final step before having the old bike riding freely on the rode. 

18C1E568-CCF1-4E23-A37B-E33A21F2558B.jpeg

9DC5AD26-A032-4D17-B1D4-79C929DE05BD.jpeg

F647A6A7-AC7E-4765-B9C3-CD72905B651C.jpeg

was the rear wheel off recently for a tyre change ?  yes, seems you have a spacer missing, and continuing to ride like that will damage things.

look in the service manual or parts fish, and fire your mechanic.

without the spacer it's impossible to preload the wheel bearings, so wheel can't be tightened properly and may put some unusual wear on the axle.

• Member Contributer

Pretty sure there should be a spacer or a washer between there.

Spacers are easy to make. Anyone with a lathe or even a mill could make you one. 

• Member Contributer

This is a diagram for a VTR1000F, but the principle is probably the same. You need piece #8

MjAzMDU3Mw-3212f00b.png

On 6/28/2021 at 9:19 AM, FJ12Ryder said:

Bad clunking sound in your rear end? Could be lack of fiber in your diet.

Sorry, couldn't help myself. 🙂

Hahahahaha

thank you everyone for the responses! Ordered the spacer for a vf500f (hub I’m using) we’ll see if it works! 

• Member Contributer

The VF500F uses a 17mm axle.  Your bike has a 20mm axle.  Might not be enough material to work with on the smaller end.  One of my wheel swaps is a VTR1000F rear wheel using a modified VF500F hub installed on a VF1000R.  I used a VTR1000 inner spacer machined to put the hub where I wanted (sucked into the wheel an extra mm to reduce the gap).  I then compensated all of my other custom spacers to retain chain and wheel center.  There are a lot of variables to consider when you make that spacer.

Archived