02 starter running

rhoderage

• Member Contributer

That's... interesting and disturbing at the same time!  I don't really want to re-enter electrical troubleshooting purgatory myself.

• Member Contributer
On 6/27/2021 at 1:06 AM, rhoderage said:

I don't understand either why the red wire would only be a problem at that spot... the rest of the wire looks just fine

Seeing your 30amp Main Fuse has not blown and doesn't look heat stressed the problem must be with a poor connection for the brass spade connector.

The heat generated here will dissipate up the Red wire causing melted insulation and shorting to the Yellow/Red wire.

- Hope your new plug has tinned or silver plated spade connectors rather than brass. See photo.

- Make sure your wire crimp connections are good.

- If you can utilize that spare connection as suggested, should help a lot.

- Using your meter make sure you have repaired the short.

- Treat the terminals with Ox-Gard.

- Before starting your bike, suggest removing the main Starter Relay lead that goes from the Relay to the Starter Motor, keep it away from the relay, now connect your battery and with ignition to on, operate the starter switch numerous times making sure you hear the Relay click in and out as you press and release the starter switch.

If thats good then you should be ok to reconnect and try starting your engine.

Just hope the ordeal hasn't damaged the Starter Motor or Starter Relay! 

Good luck.

IMG_1003.JPG

• Member Contributer

New part arrived.  Funny enough it was cheaper to buy it WITH the starter relay, versus without.  You read that correctly!  The relay will just go in the spares bin as long as my Honda part checks out ok.

20210701_065152.thumb.jpg.39c8dd52d1363af654c627a3f2bc9da0.jpg

The connector is using brass terminals.  I am going to split the red wire into two as suggested and use the spare terminal on the starter relay.

Question - should i remove the wires and attach to my non brass terminals?  Think its worth it, or even necessary if I split the current across 2?  I dont want to take the lazy way but if its not useful then its one less thing.

20210701_065204.thumb.jpg.aff9fe439245757ad06f6bb52852b3de.jpg

20210701_065211.thumb.jpg.5bee21924d5ee1bef997f4fc269e8273.jpg

• Member Contributer

Seeing you're going to use Both reds and splice them into the one main red wire, think the brass existing ones will probably be ok!  I'd go to the trouble of popping out the red wire ones and look closely at how they are crimped making sure they are properly done.

Make sure the spades have a good bite on the relay terminals. Again, give these connections a good coating of Ox-Gard. 

The connections for the relay coil are much lower current and only intermittently used anyway, so they will be fine. A simple inline connector or sleeved solder joint for the coil wires is fine.

Good luck  hope it all goes well. Do the checks and relay test mentioned prior to fully connecting up.

• Member Contributer

Didn't take any further pictures.  Did my best at the lineman splice.  Im not experienced at soldering but it all was secure.  Heat shrink and tape.  Taped all 3 wire runs securely together and double checked all wiring routing for battery area.  I also verified how the Corbin seat was fitting to check for pressure on the relay, ie if th.at mashed those two wires together 

Checked the relay operation first as grum suggested, perfect.  everything checked out fine.  Starting perfectly on first try each time.  All switches ie start kills are working properly again. 

Everything is back together and all systems go.

Thanks so much to Grum and Shipfixer and everyone else who assisted! 

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, rhoderage said:

Didn't take any further pictures.  Did my best at the lineman splice.  Im not experienced at soldering but it all was secure.  Heat shrink and tape.  Taped all 3 wire runs securely together and double checked all wiring routing for battery area.  I also verified how the Corbin seat was fitting to check for pressure on the relay, ie if th.at mashed those two wires together 

Checked the relay operation first as grum suggested, perfect.  everything checked out fine.  Starting perfectly on first try each time.  All switches ie start kills are working properly again. 

Everything is back together and all systems go.

Thanks so much to Grum and Shipfixer and everyone else who assisted! 

Good to hear, glad the Starter survived. Did you use some Ox-gard on the terminals?

Hopefully you'll never see that problem again.:fing02:

Archived